The Student Room Group

Possible Ordinary Degree in Computing: Next Steps

Hello, I have faced significant challenges throughout my university journey, including personal physical and mental health issues that led me to defer my studies for several years. This year is crucial as it marks the last opportunity for me to complete my degree. However, I've recently experienced the loss of both of my grandfathers, which has had a severe impact on my studies.

I understand that graduating with an ordinary degree is not the preferable or most advantageous outcome of my studies, but I'm looking for information in case this occurs. I'm currently studying computer security and considering a future in either software engineering or a change to engineering.

What are some potential academic or vocational paths I can explore if I graduate with an ordinary degree?
Are there specific universities or institutions that offer programs for upgrading ordinary degrees to honors degrees?
How can I effectively explain my academic journey, including deferrals and personal challenges, in future job or graduate school applications?
Additionally, I would appreciate any advice or insights on how to navigate this situation and make the most of my academic and career prospects considering the challenges I've faced.
Thank you for your help.
Original post by Cozy
Hello, I have faced significant challenges throughout my university journey, including personal physical and mental health issues that led me to defer my studies for several years. This year is crucial as it marks the last opportunity for me to complete my degree. However, I've recently experienced the loss of both of my grandfathers, which has had a severe impact on my studies.

I understand that graduating with an ordinary degree is not the preferable or most advantageous outcome of my studies, but I'm looking for information in case this occurs. I'm currently studying computer security and considering a future in either software engineering or a change to engineering.

What are some potential academic or vocational paths I can explore if I graduate with an ordinary degree?
Are there specific universities or institutions that offer programs for upgrading ordinary degrees to honors degrees?
How can I effectively explain my academic journey, including deferrals and personal challenges, in future job or graduate school applications?
Additionally, I would appreciate any advice or insights on how to navigate this situation and make the most of my academic and career prospects considering the challenges I've faced.
Thank you for your help.

Don't waste valuable time and energy thinking about an academic route until you have substantial career experience under your belt. You could see if the OU has an honours upgrade option. Otherwise you have to start a career with an amount of training, but effectively without a degree. But for CompSci that isn't so much of an issue, because you have still got all the training and experience.

Start thinking about the projects you have done as experience, and work out all the software, hardware etc you can use and rate it Very experienced, Experienced, Some knowledge of and think of some evidence to show how you have applied that skill.

Build a proper job search system, not just Indeed. Assess what sector you want to work in, based on your skills and experience, not day dreaming), assess your geographical restrictions, then start searching for organisations, companies etc that match. Bookmark their recruitment pages. Large organisations like the NHS, local councils, Universities etc are very good entry level opportunities because they have a high turnover of staff. Don't be nervous about taking a maternity contract to get your foot in the door.

When you have a list of bookmarked websites, check them twice per week. Then spend the rest of the time prepping applications, tailoring each one to the specific job advert.

Look at volunteering websites and see if there is a charity you can do some pro bono, voluntary IT work for, this keeps your CV ticking over, and helps people who need help.

Organise your life so you do something exercise based at least 3 times per week. Keep life structured around the job search,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending