The Student Room Group

It's official, the UK is the gayest nation in Europe!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto
I wonder how this percent rates emerged. How many people were asked? I cannot imagine for myself that over 82% of the population in Great Britain are gay. I think the true number is lower.

I don't think it was a survey, I think it was a quantification of each nations laws and social policies towards the LGBT community represented in a percentage.

The 82% doesn't mean 82% of the UK is gay, or even supports homosexuality. It means homosexuals are equally and fairly represented and protected in 82% of the nations laws and policy.
Original post by bubadeeboop
(...)
The 82% doesn't mean 82% of the UK is gay, or even supports homosexuality. It means homosexuals are equally and fairly represented and protected in 82% of the nations laws and policy.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. But I wonder whether it took the laws and policies of the regions and all cities of a country into account or just the law and policy of the country in general.
Reply 42
You don't need to tell me, sister.
Original post by RFowler
For all this country's faults, we are quite a tolerant society and this news doesn't surprise me very much.

But apparently, some UKIP supporters are building an ark to save themselves from the coming floods.

They believe in global warming now? :eek:
Original post by Minify
Germany isn't Catholic, they were literally the first country to ditch Catholicism. Spain is the super Catholic one so I am surprised at how accepting they are.

'Germany' never ditched catholicism... Luther pinned the 95 theses to the All Saints' Church in Saxony (arguably kickstarting the reformation) which was one state in the Holy Roman Empire. There were an enormous number of other states which, after the Peace of Augsburg in 1555, had the religion of their head of state. One of the key issues of the politics of the Seventeenth Century was the Habsburg Emperor seeking to reassert his own catholicism over the protestant German princes.

As at 2011, Germany can be over simplistically divided between a predominately catholic south and a predominately protestant / atheist north.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Cognitive dissonance my friend..

In simple English that means?
The UK is a nation of many queens i think it's something to be proud of that you guys are so diverse.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Would you outlaw homosexuality? :eyeball:

Not exactly.
yay :smile: gr8 news :smile:
This is great news.
Reply 51
What disturbs me is the apparent west-east gradient from the UK to Russia...
Reply 52
Original post by Mutleybm1996
We also have one of the highest immigration rates and in a few years white british will be the ethnic minority. Doesn't mean we all like it but there's nothing we can do, it's the decision of those in power.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if that were true (which it isn't, you're vastly over estimating the rate of immigration), why would it matter?

Remember kids, don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail.
Doesn't surprise me, whenever I go abroad I always find surprisingly high levels of bigotry. I do actually think that on balance, UK is the most progressive and tolerant country in the world, lets keep it that way.
Reply 54
Original post by Foo.mp3

"Rainbow Europe Map reflecting the 49 European countries’ legislation and policies that have a direct impact on the enjoyment of human rights by LGBTI people"

Source: http://www.ilga-europe.org/home/publications/reports_and_other_materials/rainbow_europe

What do people think of this, is the UK really as progressive as this might lead one to believe or is it merely indicative of a liberal/urban political/media elite pushing a pro-gay legislative agenda (whilst a significant proportion of the rest of society remain rather more Putin-esque in their values/outlook)?

Have people experiences of any of the other countries featured that differ from the indicator given?

France, Spain and Greece seem consistent with what I know of them, and we all know the Irish/Italians are a wee bit 'Vatican' at times, but their ratings still surprised me!

It's probably just a joke. I used to live in Slovakia and you know what? Some people there are now trying to organise a referendum to prevent LGB people from ever getting registered partnerships or marriages. Slovakia: 31%, Czech Republic: 34%. Well... it has been now many years that Czech gay people have registered partnerships and now they are even considering marriages and something very similar to adoptions. This map is ****! :biggrin:
Original post by Foo.mp3
These are subject to national, and European law, which supersede such conventions :judge:

Yeah, an other member before has told me that in a similar way. But thanks for answer nevertheless.
The methodology is still unclear and it'd be great if they could represent things in formats other than terrible infographics with meaningless percentages.

The UK is, compared to other countries, fantastic for LGBT rights, but we do also still have a long way to go. We still have the spousal veto, we still only recognise 42 sexes, we still don't demand people give more gender options than just male/female on forms, we still don't take LGBT persecution into much consideration when considering asylum, and most of all our society doesn't always reflect our legislation. Ours statutes reflect LGBT right ok, but society here is still incredibly homophobic and sexist; it's much better in the university bubble but LGBT friends I have who have graduated and not decided to live in London realise how lucky they've been for the past 3-4 years.
Reply 57
Original post by Foo.mp3
Why does this disturb you, as such?

Because we generally think of Europe as being progressive in comparison to other areas of the world, but this map highlights the fact that even in Europe, some countries are shockingly behind on the implementation of basic human rights.
Legislation + policy does not equal general attitude

I'm from Hungary and according to that map Hungary got over a 50% score. We do have civil unions in Hungary which ot introduced a few years ago. Unfortunately, due to the rampant homophobia in Hungary, most Hungarian gay couples wouldn't dream of getting a civil union even if it is legal.

A few years ago there was a survey done where over 80% of Hungarians said they do not know any gay people. These same people are of course against gay marriage. Over 80%

I live in the UK now and the difference is massive. Whereas in Hungary, nobody bats an eyelid if you say something homophobic, people are more cautious in the UK. Even if someone doesn't particularly approve of the gays they are more likely to keep it to to themselves because they're aware it's not an acceptable behavior. In Hungary, the opposite is true. If someone does support gay rights, they don't voice their opinion because they are aware that nobody else agrees with them.

When a politician, celebrity etc says something homophobic in the UK there's usually a huge outcry, this would never happen in Hungary - or indeed, any Eastern European country - nobody cares, and if somebody does care then the rest of the population is surprised that anyone would care about the gays - they don't even live in our village...or in our country!

So yes I do think the UK is as progressive as it gets in the Western world. Of course there's still plenty of homophobia but certainly a lot more tolerant than probably most/every other countries in terms of both legislation and the general attitude of everyday people.
Original post by Blazar
Because we generally think of Europe as being progressive in comparison to other areas of the world, but this map highlights the fact that even in Europe, some countries are shockingly behind on the implementation of basic human rights.

I'm from the eastern side of Europe and it's a nightmare. Everyone is a racist, an anti-Semite and a homophobe on some subconscious level, the only exceptions being the urban liberal types which account for less than 1% of the populations of these countries.

When people say Europe is progressive they think of Western Europe. They couldn't think of anything else since most people couldn't even point to Romania on the map, certainly not Western Europeans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending