The Student Room Group

Ex-History student - Ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

What was your typical week like for each year? :smile: How many days did you go in and how many hours per day? Thanks :smile:
Original post by OtakuHulk
What was your typical week like for each year? :smile: How many days did you go in and how many hours per day? Thanks :smile:

1st year - 3/4 days a week. About 12 hours a week.
2nd year - 2/3 days a week. About 8-10 hours a week.
3rd year - 1/2 days a week. 4 hours a week.
Original post by Oh Hi
This interest me; was that opportunity to do a year out in industry just an option at your uni or can you do it at any university?

I assume any University!
Anyone else? :smile:
Reply 24
Can you please give me your reading list for Modern History from 1500-2000?
Original post by Mrig
Can you please give me your reading list for Modern History from 1500-2000?

Erm, what?
Please I am begging you, tell me how to remember history content in detail, I am doing AS and I am still struggling even though my exams are a couple of weeks away...kill me now!!!!
Reply 27
Original post by exhistorystudent
Erm, what?

Yup. Let me explain you my problem in detail. I am a international student from India, I did my BA in History from a Indian University. Planning to come to UK for my Masters this year. I have a offer from Edinburgh- MSc. History. However, I am worried of that since the course structure, modules and books taught at Indian and UK Universities are different, I might fall short of accademic preparedness when I start my studies, So, I want to know to what books you have been referred by your professors for Modern History modules (if you had opted any) during your undergraduate days. So that I prepare myself well before I come to UK ( in case you don't mind suggesting me some books)
Original post by Mrig
Yup. Let me explain you my problem in detail. I am a international student from India, I did my BA in History from a Indian University. Planning to come to UK for my Masters this year. I have a offer from Edinburgh- MSc. History. However, I am worried of that since the course structure, modules and books taught at Indian and UK Universities are different, I might fall short of accademic preparedness when I start my studies, So, I want to know to what books you have been referred by your professors for Modern History modules (if you had opted any) during your undergraduate days. So that I prepare myself well before I come to UK ( in case you don't mind suggesting me some books)

"Modern History".... I mean, thats an unbelievably broad topic. I can't say I ever got recommended a 'Modern History' book. I was given recommendations for different topics, e.g Stalins Russia, America in the 20th Century, Weimar Germany.
Reply 29
"Modern History".... I mean, thats an unbelievably broad topic. I can't say I ever got recommended a 'Modern History' book. I was given recommendations for different topics, e.g Stalins Russia, America in the 20th Century, Weimar Germany.

okay. Like Modern European Political History(1500-1800)?, Can you tell me what were you suggested for American History?
Original post by Mrig
okay. Like Modern European Political History(1500-1800)?, Can you tell me what were you suggested for American History?

The Unfinished Journey: America Since WWII.
Reply 31
The Unfinished Journey: America Since WWII.

Thank you so much. I hope you understand my situation. Can you also recommend me books for Historical Research Methods/ Dissertation. This is one area in which Indian university syllabuses give scant attention.
Original post by Mrig
Thank you so much. I hope you understand my situation. Can you also recommend me books for Historical Research Methods/ Dissertation. This is one area in which Indian university syllabuses give scant attention.

I was never recommended any of them either! My tutor just gave me guidance there.
Reply 33
I was never recommended any of them either! My tutor just gave me guidance there.

Thank you once again. And my final question to you. Can you tell me which Universities in UK has the best reputation in History barring Oxbridge, LSE and UCL? Uni of Edinburgh/ KCL/Durham/ Birmingham/ Southampton/Exeter/ Bristol? Which one would u suggest for a Masters in Modern History? hope you are not annoyed by my repeated questions. Sorry, if u felt pestered.
Original post by Mrig
Thank you once again. And my final question to you. Can you tell me which Universities in UK has the best reputation in History barring Oxbridge, LSE and UCL? Uni of Edinburgh/ KCL/Durham/ Birmingham/ Southampton/Exeter/ Bristol? Which one would u suggest for a Masters in Modern History? hope you are not annoyed by my repeated questions. Sorry, if u felt pestered.

I never did a Masters in Modern History, so I am not sure. Why is it you want to do a Masters in History?
Which uni did you go to?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
I never did a Masters in Modern History, so I am not sure. Why is it you want to do a Masters in History?

Because i want to gain more knowledge and research skills and progress to a Ph.D, want to become a Historian. interested in Modern History.
Reply 37
Original post by Mrig
Because i want to gain more knowledge and research skills and progress to a Ph.D, want to become a Historian. interested in Modern History.
if u were to do a Masters in History, which Uni wud u want to go to?
Original post by Mrig
if u were to do a Masters in History, which Uni wud u want to go to?

Out of the ones you listed, I would choose Durham.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Please I am begging you, tell me how to remember history content in detail, I am doing AS and I am still struggling even though my exams are a couple of weeks away...kill me now!!!!

For my A level revision I wrote out lots of essay plans.

There should be a lot of past papers available for you to look at, with past essay questions on, correct? You will notice that similar questions come up time and time again, or at least they did for me. I would just write out the essay plans for these, read them, and then rewrite them a couple of times whilst looking at the plans. Finally I would try to write them without looking. I found that in the actual exam I was able to remember a lot more information once I got little bits down, it acted as sort of a trigger. I even used this at University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending