The Student Room Group

ICE Undergraduate Certificates – any experience?

I am interested in the undergraduate certificate in Philosophy offered by the Institute of Continuing Education (https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/course/undergraduate-certificate-philosophy-history-philosophy-philosophy-mind-and-political-0). However, all their undergraduate certificates from 2021 onwards are taught exclusively online, which makes me doubtful. Does anybody have any experience of studying with ICE online?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Pantine
I am interested in the undergraduate certificate in Philosophy offered by the Institute of Continuing Education (https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/course/undergraduate-certificate-philosophy-history-philosophy-philosophy-mind-and-political-0). However, all their undergraduate certificates from 2021 onwards are taught exclusively online, which makes me doubtful. Does anybody have any experience of studying with ICE online? Would having such a certificate be taken seriously? My main concern is that if I put it on my CV, it might rather make it look less credible. If I had attended the lectures in person, my certificate would be taken more seriously, but as it's currently an online course, putting it as a Cambridge University experience would probably do more harm. What do you think?

There's simply no way of telling how any one employer might view this. It's really up to you to pitch it in a positive light. Lots of elements of ICE have always been online, especially their communications and information exchange, so they are reasonably experienced. The face-to-face lectures - well you have to decide the value of that. Also consider, will this become their standard way of working for future years?
Original post by Pantine
I am interested in the undergraduate certificate in Philosophy offered by the Institute of Continuing Education (https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/course/undergraduate-certificate-philosophy-history-philosophy-philosophy-mind-and-political-0). However, all their undergraduate certificates from 2021 onwards are taught exclusively online, which makes me doubtful. Does anybody have any experience of studying with ICE online?

I just had my first online class on Saturday. (Diploma not certificate). We are tutored by an experienced ex Cambridge academic and a current Cambridge academic.

The class size is extremely small, no more than 20 students appear to have been accepted.

The teaching is very good, and insisted on us contacting him with any questions we may have. Others did contact him on the students forum, he responds quickly and thoroughly.

I'm personally not doing the diploma for any academic reasons, but if that is your goal make it known to Cambridge before you apply. Ask as many questions to them as possible, they're there to answer!
Reply 3
Original post by Bamwam234
How did the course go, would it be wise to already know a lot about Philosophy?, was it quite a politically biased course or was there a good spread of sources to choose from?. thank you

How did the course go, would it be wise to already know a lot about Philosophy?, was it quite a politically biased course or was there a good spread of sources to choose from?. thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending