The Student Room Group

Step-parent lives abroad

Hi there, question about the "living abroad" questions...

My son is applying for Student Finance and lives with me. My wife, his step-mum, has recently taken up a job abroad for a couple of years but is a British national and we are still together, own the house etc.

In order to keep away from any acrimony from my ex-wife, his mother, we'd prefer not to put my wife's details through the application system - she doesn't have any financial input or guardian status, but the form asks if anyone has lived overseas...

Is there anything we can do about this? Why does it ask for her details? My son is only applying for the minimum amount of maintenance loan as my income would mean he wouldn't be assessed for anything higher

Many thanks
Original post by nunu73
Hi there, question about the "living abroad" questions...

My son is applying for Student Finance and lives with me. My wife, his step-mum, has recently taken up a job abroad for a couple of years but is a British national and we are still together, own the house etc.

In order to keep away from any acrimony from my ex-wife, his mother, we'd prefer not to put my wife's details through the application system - she doesn't have any financial input or guardian status, but the form asks if anyone has lived overseas...

Is there anything we can do about this? Why does it ask for her details? My son is only applying for the minimum amount of maintenance loan as my income would mean he wouldn't be assessed for anything higher

Many thanks

Hi there,

If the student has requested the application to be assessed on the household income, this is why we will be asking for the sponsors details. We ask who the student has most contact with, and if he put yourself and your status is married, we will then need your wife's details.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

If the student has requested the application to be assessed on the household income, this is why we will be asking for the sponsors details. We ask who the student has most contact with, and if he put yourself and your status is married, we will then need your wife's details.

Thanks,
Claire

Thanks Claire - there is no assessment needed as he's not applying for anything other than the minimum loans... This is why I don't understand the need to know that information.
Original post by nunu73
Thanks Claire - there is no assessment needed as he's not applying for anything other than the minimum loans... This is why I don't understand the need to know that information.

If you and your partner have received a request to provide your financial information this means the student has requested the maximum amount of funding available to them based on the household income. If the student is only looking to apply for the basic amount of funding they would need to contact us via their account on Live Chat and the team can remove this request. Thanks, Karen
Reply 4
Thanks Karen, it's the latter - I'll get him to sort it out :smile:
Original post by nunu73
Thanks Karen, it's the latter - I'll get him to sort it out :smile:

You're welcome. If there is anything else we can help with in the future please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending