The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who can't find a summer job?

Engage rant mode.

A-levels finished for me back on the 23rd June and every since the 24th I've been sending CV's out right, left and center in the hopes of just getting ONE job.

It's been over two weeks now and half haven't even replied, the lowest blow coming when I realised I'd been rejected from McDonalds. Twice.

I've been applying to jobs from proofreader to refuse collector and it just doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone else find it damn near impossible to convince an employer to take them on for only the summer holiday?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm having a similar experience
Keep at it- I'm going to try and get some trial shifts
Apply to more places, don't give up.

I've had a complete opposite experience to you. I applied to one place for a summer job (morrisons) went to the interview and ended up getting the job. But then they wanted me to start about 2 weeks before my exams were over so I turned it down.
A couple of weeks ago I got offered a job by my friend's dad which actually pays more than the morrisons job so I ended up with something decent in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mainly I'd just be interested to know what exactly people are doing this summer to fill their time since so many people say they would be happy to wait longer for results to come out.

For someone like me, who's used to always doing something, this wait is just painful now. :angry:
Original post by Bloxorus
Apply to more places, don't give up.

I've had a complete opposite experience to you. I applied to one place for a summer job (morrisons) went to the interview and ended up getting the job. But then they wanted me to start about 2 weeks before my exams were over so I turned it down.
A couple of weeks ago I got offered a job by my friend's dad which actually pays more than the morrisons job so I ended up with something decent in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there any particular jobs that would welcome students though because I feel that is the main problem they have with accepting me.

That and lack of experience which of course I'll never get at this rate.
It was annoying for me too, I started applying for jobs on June 11th. I finally got a job last week and start training on monday. Its in telesales :call::emo: Not great but its something. If you're willing to do telesales you should take a look because they are always hiring
Same here, i need a joooobbbbbbbbb. i need something to do this summer as well as save up some money to pay for trips to uni open days! Just cant seem to get any job offers dammit
Original post by heirloom
It was annoying for me too, I started applying for jobs on June 11th. I finally got a job last week and start training on monday. Its in telesales :call::emo: Not great but its something. If you're willing to do telesales you should take a look because they are always hiring

I guess I'll have to try telesales sooner or later again.

Last time I tried I was 16 and picked a job that ended up being a pyramid scheme which also tried to convince its employees that it was entitled to give out free structural surveys. They would have wanted me to go asking people for their personal details (so they could be sold off) so that I would promise them a free survey on behalf the company I was working for.

I caught on to it after the first day though when I saw lots of complaints about it online.

Ever since I've been very wary of telesales in my area especially because that particular company is still operating albeit with a different name.
Original post by Complex solution
I guess I'll have to try telesales sooner or later again.

Last time I tried I was 16 and picked a job that ended up being a pyramid scheme which also tried to convince its employees that it was entitled to give out free structural surveys. They would have wanted me to go asking people for their personal details (so they could be sold off) so that I would promise them a free survey on behalf the company I was working for.

I caught on to it after the first day though when I saw lots of complaints about it online.

Ever since I've been very wary of telesales in my area especially because that particular company is still operating albeit with a different name.

I was in that situation last summer, I googled them before I actually went to the interview and found out they were shady. This company does the whole PPI and mobile phone upgrades thing
Reply 9
I applied for jobs back in April and got three offers. I live in a small town so it's not exactly a city abundant in jobs. I think it's just about applying early which is clearly impossible now. Though a lot of people leave summer jobs, so if you keep it up, you're bound to find something.
How do students know which jobs they can realistically expect to get employed for.
Pay per hour just doesn't seem reliable enough as in "I'll go for anything under £6.00 an hour".

There was an 'entry' level job as an accountant which required a year of experience and a degree in accountancy whereas I've found a job posting for a refuse collector which pays £10.00 ph which clearly needs no real qualifications.

Boggles my mind.
I've been applying since April and got nowhere. Last year I applied for jobs for 6 months straight and got nothing. Life is ****.
Maybe there's something wrong with your CV or Cover letters. I can offer some assistance if you'd like?
I applied for jobs non stop since Christmas 2012 and only just got a summer job at McDonald's.

TBH if you want a job in the summer you have to apply a while before and you have to be patient. Much more people have been applying for way longer than you and are still unsuccessful. One month is nothing for applying.

McDonald's are really good at hiring though, i got 2 rejections from them before a final yes, so stick to it.

You're only chance of getting a summer job is if someone leaves and they need a positioned filled. You waited far too late to apply but don't give up.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm having the same issue. Last year, after my A-levels, best I could find was factory work. However I couldn't handle 3 days of that so don't really want to go for a week or 2. I think it doesn't help that I want a temporary position, so I'm thinking the best way to get money for uni is to work whilst at uni, yet this leaves me with a summer of sitting around at home bored.

There are limited volunteering things I can do in my area, and quite a few other things want money which I'm trying to save! :tongue: I was interested in doing an additional course in something (sign language, first aid, short science courses etc) but of course these can be expensive sometimes. Travelling is expensive so that's kinda of out. Summer is too boring! :tongue:
Very few employers take on students for 6-8 weeks unless they're proper corporate placements/internships/work experiences, etc. It takes several weeks to train you and months for you to become proficient, by which time you're leaving. There's no point in hiring someone for two months when they could hire an employee who they have a chance of retaining.

The handful of employers that don't really mind who you are will be those with very high staff turnover rates, or those with a centralised HR structure which allows for employees to move between stores if they go to uni (e.g. supermarkets, but it's still unusual to be taken on for such a short period by one store before you move to another). By far your best bet is, as someone else mentioned telesale/telemarketing. It's a **** job, which is why people leave after 2 months anyway. Employers expect a high turnover so they'll usually take literally anyone who hasn't worked for them before.

As to knowing which jobs to go for, it's sensible to be realistic; think of jobs which require little/no training, have low enjoyment levels, low pay and don't require any particular skills, abilities or experience (your example of refuse collector isn't great, as they tend to require physical fitness/strength, a strong proven work ethic, teamworking ability, often an LGV license, basic mechanical knowledge, hazardous waste training, health and safety training, etc - despite the lack of qualifications it requires, it's not that straightforward).

Data entry, telesales and basic factory work are your best bets.
I can't either. :frown: I've been trying all throughout a-levels with only one interview which went horribly, everytime I see my grandparents they moan about how I don't have a job and when I go out with friends I feel pathetic because they're spending their wages whilst I'm spending pocket money from mummy and daddy. :/

I'm hoping that I can get some kind of job or volunteer somewhere whilst at university otherwise my CV will be blank. :/
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Maybe there's something wrong with your CV or Cover letters. I can offer some assistance if you'd like?

Can I PM you my CV?

Original post by russellsteapot
Data entry, telesales and basic factory work are your best bets.

I guess I'll try telesales again then. Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Story of my life
Original post by Secretnerd123
Story of my life

Saw this coming tbh

Original post by Complex solution
Can I PM you my CV?

I guess I'll try telesales again then. Thanks.

I'm not into this Retail job market at all, but I can critique your CV if it can help. I have done the same for my friends and many of them continue to ask for advice when in need. :cool:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest