The Student Room Group

How do I get into animal management work? In Bio degree

I am currently 2 years into a BSc Biology degree and I am really struggling to have any motivation to do the work. It has no purpose for me - firstly I am not learning by reading slides and watching videos, but mainly I am realising I want to be working hands on with animals. I spend my spare time researching and teaching myself about the topics that actually interest me like canine behaviours, training animals in zoos (like for voluntary medical procedures), and working animals (mainly dogs - security, farms, detection, assistance dogs - but lots of others too). I know this is what I want to be doing. I need to be out in the field and learning first-hand from people who have worked with animals for years, actually seeing them infront of me and getting to physically try and learn from my mistakes. This is not something that is taught in a Biology degree, and definitely not something that can be taught from powerpoint slides and research papers alone.

I've considered everything I can but it just seems impossible to get into. Every job like this requires previous work with animal handling, but I can't get any kind of internship or experience without being on an animal management or animal care course. I've worked with dog walkers for weeks over the summer, trained many of my own dogs and friends animals, and would happily take any other oppotunity that came my way but there seems to be nothing I can find. I spend so much time contacting companies or charities for any opportunities but they turn you down unless you want to be a full time volunteer (which I can't afford) or you study animal management.

I really don't understand how to get into this type of work. My only possible option is to drop out of uni (which is a very difficult decision to make), move back home (not ideal, it's complicated), learn to drive (which again, can't afford without a job) and then work somewhere that has SOME interaction with animals and slowly work my way up towards exactly what I want to do... but of course that has a million issues. Not to mention everyone is struggling to get a job at the moment in EVERY industry because you need experience for the job but can only get experience by having a job in the first place! I don't understand what they expect us to do.

I know nobody can provide a magic answer to fix my specific situation. But maybe someone has some advice on how they got into that kind of work? I'm too old it seems for animal management/care courses (they all seem to be 16-18 only), and can't afford to volunteer full-time. I would love it if anyone can give some advice :/
As you will have a BSc if you continue, I would say (but I'm not an expert) you could do a conversion course to gain a BSc in an Animal subject, I would ask the Uni for advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending