The Student Room Group

Loneliness and the summer

I haven't really managed to make friends over the course of my first uni year. I made a few, but our friendships sort of just faded away. I won't have anyone to talk to over the summer. I am dreading it considering I won't at all be able to leave my bedroom for the next 4 months. What do I do?
I did try to sort myself out for next year by contacting a society so I can find more people I may have things in common with. But for now, I am pretty much alone, and I dont think i will be able to find friends.
Reply 1
building friendships takes time, and it's normal to feel uncertain or apprehensive. Be patient with yourself, and don't be afraid to put yourself out there.
Original post by zoechka
I haven't really managed to make friends over the course of my first uni year. I made a few, but our friendships sort of just faded away. I won't have anyone to talk to over the summer. I am dreading it considering I won't at all be able to leave my bedroom for the next 4 months. What do I do?
I did try to sort myself out for next year by contacting a society so I can find more people I may have things in common with. But for now, I am pretty much alone, and I dont think i will be able to find friends.

Building friendships takes time. Be patient with yourself, and don't be afraid to put yourself out there. I would also try get involve/create a study group and what not, also try not to give yourself a mission to get as much friends as you can, instead try give more attention/energy to a certain group of friends and they would notice your presents more, if they seem "out of sync with you", then move on and try not to beat yourself about it. Summer is also a great time to work on yourself, set some goals like trying to learn new skills through online courses, participate in sporting activities or even try gaming to connect with more people. Even if your previous relationships have started to fade, you can still reach out to your former classmates and see if they would like to catch up.
Reply 2
Hello,
Sorry you are feeling this way, contacting a the society sounds like a good idea and will be a great way to meet new people.
There are still loads of things you can do over the summer so don't worry. Just because you haven't made any close friends doesn't mean you can't have fun: take yourself out for food, go on walks, picnics, start a new hobby, day trips to different cities around the UK can be good depending on where you live coach tickets can be quite cheap. If you want don't want to spend your summer alone maybe look at local charities that you could volunteer with in your city, find a summer job which would be a great way to meet new people and make you feel less alone
And most of all spend the summer working on yourself and find things that make you happy. Uni is difficult and friendships take time but remember you are not alone and there will be soo many people who feel the same way :smile:
Reply 3
I feel you so much. I really don't feel like I can take any more summers sitting around being depressed hoping that next year will finally be the year I can drag myself out of a miserable hole of loneliness. And constantly hearing 'enjoy your uni holidays you will never get them again in your life' while I spend most of them sitting around hating my life is so painful.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I feel you so much. I really don't feel like I can take any more summers sitting around being depressed hoping that next year will finally be the year I can drag myself out of a miserable hole of loneliness. And constantly hearing 'enjoy your uni holidays you will never get them again in your life' while I spend most of them sitting around hating my life is so painful.

I wouldn't mind spending time w u if you want tbf even if its smth small like playing games
try to find a job for the summer holidays then
Reply 6
Original post by cherlloydfan1
try to find a job for the summer holidays then

I have, but it won't last for the entirety of the holidays. Plus its hard to get a job in my area
friends come and go..focus on your career and learning - the only thing that will ever stay with you is your knowledge, everything and everyone else will disappear from your life at some point in time.

it's lonely at the top. but i personally prefer the top :smile:
Original post by zoechka
I wouldn't mind spending time w u if you want tbf even if its smth small like playing games

Where are you guys based though? I wouldn't mind organising group gatherings in London. I think there are a few groups that invite new people too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending