The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Teachers in UoG

Hi all!
I've read many reviews about UoG and many students complain that in UoG teachers give no attention to their students, and also as I've understood teachers there seem not to be interested in what they read on their lectures.
In comparing with Uni of Sheffield and Nottingham I can see that students in this 2 universities more satisfied with their courses, there are also much less complains about teachers. Many ERASMUS students say that in Sheffield teachers explain themes very very thoroughly. So now I'm a bit confused about UoG, I wanted to go there to study but if all info about teachers there is true - better to choose Nottingham.
Reply 1
I think it's best to take any reviews (unless they're universally admonishing/glowing, and even then...) as suggestive rather than reliable mainly because I think people are more likely to post a review if they have something to complain about than something to praise.

Of the reviews you've read, do many/any apply to the subjects (or colleges) you're considering? Within an individual university, the teaching style of areas and specific subjects can vary greatly.

There's also the initial expectations of the students to consider. If I expect the teaching style to be similar to school or college, I'm going to be sorely disappointed; likewise, if I expect it to be reminiscent of Oxbridge, I'm probably going to be a little vexed.

Reviews can be helpful in making decisions, but for qualitative experiences, I think it's better to use them as a balanced part of an impression.

League tables also can't be completely depended upon in the same way, but on the Guardian's 2015 table, Glasgow has a score of 91.7 (out of 100) under 'satisfied with teaching'; Nottingham has 88.1, Sheffield has 90.2, and even Cambridge has 91.1.
(edited 9 years ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Droghedan
Hi all!
I've read many reviews about UoG and many students complain that in UoG teachers give no attention to their students

Could you provide a link to one of these negative reviews?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Okay that is entirely course dependent. I've just finished my 4 year degree at Glasgow and near every staff member I ever had contact with went out of their way to make sure every single student on my course got through with good results, and was happy and comfortable on the course. They're totally open to helping anyone who asks, all of their lecture slides contain their own research that they absolutely loved sharing with us every opportunity they got and were always really excited about it. I wouldn't believe everything you read and definitely wouldn't assume it means the university as a whole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LSD
Okay that is entirely course dependent. I've just finished my 4 year degree at Glasgow and near every staff member I ever had contact with went out of their way to make sure every single student on my course got through with good results, and was happy and comfortable on the course. They're totally open to helping anyone who asks, all of their lecture slides contain their own research that they absolutely loved sharing with us every opportunity they got and were always really excited about it. I wouldn't believe everything you read and definitely wouldn't assume it means the university as a whole.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, what did you study if I may ask?
Reply 5
Original post by IbroSaunks
Hi, what did you study if I may ask?

I studied Genetics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending