The Student Room Group

Glasgow Uni or Strathclyde for Software Development

Hi, I have applied to both Glasgow Uni and Strathclyde for the Software Development MSc (conversion course). I am finding it hard to figure out which one I'd prefer to go to, as I'm not really sure what to look for. I hear a lot of great things about Glasgow Uni, but can't find as much info about Strathclyde. Has anyone here done either course or know how they compare? Many thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enanram
Hi, I have applied to both Glasgow Uni and Strathclyde for the Software Development MSc (conversion course). I am finding it hard to figure out which one I'd prefer to go to, as I'm not really sure what to look for. I hear a lot of great things about Glasgow Uni, but can't find as much info about Strathclyde. Has anyone here done either course or know how they compare? Many thanks!

I have the exact same question. I applied to both programs (though I've thus far only been accepted to Strathclyde and have yet to hear back from Glasgow) and I'm already feeling the pressure of deciding. Silly of me, really, as I may not be accepted to Glasgow at all. Today I was told that I have been awarded a scholarship at Strathclyde, making it CONSIDERABLY more affordable than Glasgow. I am a foreign student, so tuition is quite steep as it is. My partner attended Glasgow (completely different department) four years ago and really loved it. We also loved living in the west end, which I know we could choose to do regardless, but I am feeling very torn and would love to hear from anyone with more knowledge on the subject.
Reply 2
Interesting - I have also been offered a place and a (small) scholarship at Strathclyde, and nothing yet from Glasgow. And Strathclyde fees are already cheaper. There is a good discussion on this site about the course at Glasgow, and it seems very positive, but I'm having trouble finding anything about Strathclyde.
Original post by enanram
Interesting - I have also been offered a place and a (small) scholarship at Strathclyde, and nothing yet from Glasgow. And Strathclyde fees are already cheaper. There is a good discussion on this site about the course at Glasgow, and it seems very positive, but I'm having trouble finding anything about Strathclyde.

I am so hungry for info about Strathclyde! When did you apply to Glasgow? My application went in on January 22. When my partner applied to Glasgow in 2016 it took 7 weeks to hear back, so I hope it won't be any longer than that, as I need to respond to my Strathclyde offer within three weeks (from yesterday). I am glad I went with my gut and applied to Strathclyde three weeks after Glasgow. I had a hunch they would respond sooner, and that certainly proved to be the case.
Reply 4
Original post by TabithaRasa
I am so hungry for info about Strathclyde! When did you apply to Glasgow? My application went in on January 22. When my partner applied to Glasgow in 2016 it took 7 weeks to hear back, so I hope it won't be any longer than that, as I need to respond to my Strathclyde offer within three weeks (from yesterday). I am glad I went with my gut and applied to Strathclyde three weeks after Glasgow. I had a hunch they would respond sooner, and that certainly proved to be the case.

I applied only a couple of weeks ago, and to both at the same time. I'm going to wait as long as possible - I want to go and have a look around Glasgow uni. I have been in touch with the head of the course there so hopefully he'll answer some of my questions.
Original post by enanram
I applied only a couple of weeks ago, and to both at the same time. I'm going to wait as long as possible - I want to go and have a look around Glasgow uni. I have been in touch with the head of the course there so hopefully he'll answer some of my questions.

I was just curious if you ever heard back from the head of the course? Still no word on my application, and I'm wondering if I should reach out to them next week. I've heard it can be really difficult to get in touch with anyone.
Reply 6
Yes, a few days ago. He had been off ill apparently, so it might be a good idea to follow up.
Original post by enanram
Yes, a few days ago. He had been off ill apparently, so it might be a good idea to follow up.

Now I've just received a mass email from them saying that there is a huge number of applications this year (fair enough, with announcements to visa changes and all that) and that it may take until the end of April to hear back. I don't know that I can put off Strathclyde that long, so I am feeling all kinds of stuck.
Reply 8
Now I've just received a mass email from them saying that there is a huge number of applications this year (fair enough, with announcements to visa changes and all that) and that it may take until the end of April to hear back. I don't know that I can put off Strathclyde that long, so I am feeling all kinds of stuck.

I went into Strathclyde today to meet with the head of the course and a couple of students. It seems that the Strathclyde course is more practical, and has a smaller yeargroup. I think this year is about 40 and there's an upper limit of 60 for next year, while uog is about 100. The students also said that the tutors are very quick to reply if you need help with something. Uog seems to be better for people doing internships in the summer, although I was told it is possible at Strathclyde, just not guaranteed. It seems the reason for the lack of information on Strathclyde is they're only in the second year of this course. It was designed with the needs of several Glasgow based business, and a decent number of the current class have job offers already. I was advised to try to learn as much python and Java as I can - the course is supposed to suit people turning up with no experience on day 1, but apparently it's a struggle if you do that. Overall I'm heavily leaning towards Strathclyde. I just got an offer today from uog, and still no reply from the course head there about visiting.
Original post by enanram
I went into Strathclyde today to meet with the head of the course and a couple of students. It seems that the Strathclyde course is more practical, and has a smaller yeargroup. I think this year is about 40 and there's an upper limit of 60 for next year, while uog is about 100. The students also said that the tutors are very quick to reply if you need help with something. Uog seems to be better for people doing internships in the summer, although I was told it is possible at Strathclyde, just not guaranteed. It seems the reason for the lack of information on Strathclyde is they're only in the second year of this course. It was designed with the needs of several Glasgow based business, and a decent number of the current class have job offers already. I was advised to try to learn as much python and Java as I can - the course is supposed to suit people turning up with no experience on day 1, but apparently it's a struggle if you do that. Overall I'm heavily leaning towards Strathclyde. I just got an offer today from uog, and still no reply from the course head there about visiting.

First of all, congrats on getting another offer! Secondly, thank you so much for updating me. I had no idea the course at Strathclyde was so new. That is really helpful to know, and definitely explains the lack of info about it in online forums. I've already started learning Python, but I haven't worked on it in a while, so I'll get back on that. I haven't heard anything from UofG after they put me off with that email, so I think my choice is being made for me. But Strathclyde seems like it may be a great program after all!
Reply 10
First of all, congrats on getting another offer! Secondly, thank you so much for updating me. I had no idea the course at Strathclyde was so new. That is really helpful to know, and definitely explains the lack of info about it in online forums. I've already started learning Python, but I haven't worked on it in a while, so I'll get back on that. I haven't heard anything from UofG after they put me off with that email, so I think my choice is being made for me. But Strathclyde seems like it may be a great program after all!

Yes, I'm really swinging towards it. The only reasons at the moment that I would pick uog are that I live within walking distance and it may be easier to get an internship. Lots of good reasons to go to Strathclyde though. Let me know if you accept - would be good to already know someone if I go there!
I just accepted the Strathclyde offer! Really looking forward to it.
Reply 12

I most likely will too - feel free to add me on fb, maybe we'll find more folk! Donagh Marnane
Reply 13

I've just accepted mine too. I might get a facebook group going, if you're interested?
@enanram and @TabithaRasa Thanks for this info.
I have applied MSc. Software Development at Strathclyde University starting this Sep. I have got offer from them as well. I am still awaiting reply from UOG. Have you guys made your mind which uni you guys are finally going? Its still confusing. Because of this COVID-19 i am unsure how Strathclyde University is going to take classes?
Reply 15
Original post by Pratibha Rani
@enanram and @TabithaRasa Thanks for this info.
I have applied MSc. Software Development at Strathclyde University starting this Sep. I have got offer from them as well. I am still awaiting reply from UOG. Have you guys made your mind which uni you guys are finally going? Its still confusing. Because of this COVID-19 i am unsure how Strathclyde University is going to take classes?

I have decided on Strathclyde. I spoke to the heads of both departments, and a couple of people who studied in the comp sci departments in both universities. In general it seems that the Strathclyde staff are better at replying when you ask for help, and I've certainly found that Strathclyde in general have been good with communication. I met the heads of both courses and they were both nice but I felt the course in Strathclyde was a better fit for me. It's also a smaller class size and not mixed with any other course. They are planning to do the first few weeks online but then start to have some in person classes gradually. In general, case numbers are low in Scotland at the moment - hopefully it will stay that way.
True. I have heard the same actually that Strathclyde is good for IT and business. My husband works with an IT company and he is VP. He said most of the fresher he sees in the graduate scheme is from Strathclyde and UOG. So career point of view they both are nice. But am thinking to go for Strathclyde as I stay very close to it. 20 min walk may be or lesser. Do you know how libraries are in Strathclyde? I have heard that Glasgow University library is best. Can we access the UOG library on Strathclyde University student card?
Reply 17
Original post by Pratibha Rani
True. I have heard the same actually that Strathclyde is good for IT and business. My husband works with an IT company and he is VP. He said most of the fresher he sees in the graduate scheme is from Strathclyde and UOG. So career point of view they both are nice. But am thinking to go for Strathclyde as I stay very close to it. 20 min walk may be or lesser. Do you know how libraries are in Strathclyde? I have heard that Glasgow University library is best. Can we access the UOG library on Strathclyde University student card?

When I was a student at a different university in Glasgow, I was able to access both the Strathclyde and uog libraries. Hopefully that hasn't changed with corona. But I think the Strathclyde library is also good. I'm not sure if it's going to be very important for such a practical course though!
Hi , this is to anyone that has taken the software development MSc at the University of Strathclyde, how was the course overall for you and did you manage to find a job after graduation with the degree?
Reply 19
Original post by Jacobiteman
Hi , this is to anyone that has taken the software development MSc at the University of Strathclyde, how was the course overall for you and did you manage to find a job after graduation with the degree?

I did the course 2020-2021, and I and many others in the class found it lacking. This was partly due to the pandemic and how we didn't really have those informal group discussions that you might have after a lecture, where you would learn from one another. But the online lectures were subpar and many of us learned more on our own than from the course. I did find some of it useful, and it gave me a lot to build on in my own continued learning. I got a job straight away and I know a good number of others who did too. As for Glasgow Uni, I know they have much larger class sizes and slightly different topics but I don't really know how it compares in quality.

Quick Reply

Latest