The Student Room Group

journalism or comms degree

I really want to work in the journalism industry however it is highly competitive work environment and i fear that i may be restricted to other jobs if i just do a journalism degree so is it better to take a comms degree that branches out to careers such as journalism, hr, pr, and marketing
Original post by ellafaulkner07
I really want to work in the journalism industry however it is highly competitive work environment and i fear that i may be restricted to other jobs if i just do a journalism degree so is it better to take a comms degree that branches out to careers such as journalism, hr, pr, and marketing

Hello @ellafaulkner07

I am Matt, a Broadcast Journalism graduate from the University of Salford. Firstly I want to say I think this is a really good question and also one I thought about before studying journalism.

I can only speak about my experiences with Salford Universities and am not sure what other institutions are like but to answer your question, I would say that studying journalism at our University does not just limit you to a career in Journalism. I have seen peers on my course successfully branch into the worlds of Marketing and PR with a Broadcast Journalism degree and it is also something I am looking to achieve as well. The title that is written on your degree is one thing, but the transferable skills and experiences you pick up and develop during your time on a course is another. As well as this, a journalism degree can branch into multiple different Masters opportunities after your undergraduate study is completed, including the world of HR, PR and Marketing as well as further study into the world of Journalism if that is what you wish to do.

On the flip side, I would say that if you are passionate in being a journalist I do think Salford University does still prepare you for the highly competitive world of journalism. We have incredible industry links as well as industry standard equipment to use while studying which gives you the skills and connections needed to progress into the world of Journalism.

I do hope this helps and if you need any more information do not hesitate to get in touch.
Matt ~ University of Salford Rep
Original post by ellafaulkner07

Hi @ellafaulkner07

This is a really valid question, and actually is a common concern across a range of courses.

It depends where you apply, but at UoG, our Journalism degree aims to make you a 'multimedia journalist'. This means that you won't just study print journalism, but also cover a whole range of other platforms, such as radio, video, presenting, social media, PR & marketing and more!

You'll learn transferable skills that will help you to find a career in a whole range of industries. Our graduates have gone onto careers in journalism & the media, politics, marketing, communications, PR and more. The course is also accredited by the National Council for the Training of Journalists, which many employers seek!

You can find out more about the course here: https://www.glos.ac.uk/courses/course/jor-ba-journalism/

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your decision.

Mara 🙂
UoG rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending