The Student Room Group

Why I, as a Muslim, am launching a campaign to ban the burka in Britain

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nimrodstower
Police have sufficient powers to deal with issues like this, why, would anyone want to give them more? What about transvestites, are they now going to persecuted under law (again), rotten laws like this always lead to more societal problems, not less. Then you have Guy Fawkes, Batman, Spiderman and other masks, are we going to have our kids prosecuted as well, after all they are just as capable of having criminal intent.

Sufficient powers? You mean like x-Ray specs? Halloween masks tend to be worn during one time of the year, not only that but most people will remove them during certain circumstances e.g entering a shop etc. I don't believe there is any law against wearing one in a shop but you will often be asked to remove it. If a man chooses to wear woman's clothes I can still see their face.
I believe Britain already has laws that prohibit covering your face under certain circumstances, most Western countries have laws to some degree outlawing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by miscounted_time
Sufficient powers? You mean like x-Ray specs? Halloween masks tend to be worn during one time of the year, not only that but most people will remove them during certain circumstances e.g entering a shop etc. I don't believe there is any law against wearing one in a shop but you will often be asked to remove it. If a man chooses to wear woman's clothes I can still see their face.
I believe Britain already has laws that prohibit covering your face under certain circumstances, most Western countries have laws to some degree outlawing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The police can take you to a Police station, and hold you until you prove your identity.

Let us get real about this, A bank robber or similar, is not going to think twice about putting on a balaclava, to rob a bank, he is probably not going to think twice about putting a gun against your head and blowing your brains out. Again a terrorist, who is doing stuff for his/her ideological or religious beliefs, is not going to consider the law on face coverings, when he/she plants some device, or other acts. So what good is this act going to do?

Let's face it, this is just a discriminatory act, dreamt up by the right wing, using peoples fears.
The French ban on the veil have nothing to do with security, as one French politician stated during a Doha Debate on this question. If the problem is one about Women's rights, then if they are being forced to wear a veil by another person, example husband, then prosecute the husband. That is already possible under current law, no need to assume that anyone wearing a veil is being forced, and then impose fines on a woman who does wear one, therefore restricting her rights as a woman.
I've heard people saying that it is "rude" and that's why it should be banned. If this is the case then we should ban mobile phones in public too. There's nothing more rude than having a conversation with someone and they keep looking at their phone.

I am a Muslim and I'm also against the burka in my country (France) it has been banned for safety reasons.
Reply 125
Original post by Zakirkhan
I am a Muslim and I'm also against the burka in my country (France) it has been banned for safety reasons.

No you are a troll pretending to be a Muslim.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Except it is.

You are not arrested for public nudity.

You are arrested if you use nudity " to harass, alarm or distress others" And etc.

If you are urinating in the street, out of view of others, it is still indecent exposure and you can be arrested. Which would also be the same if you were to simply walk down the street naked.
Original post by lamyers1
If you are urinating in the street, out of view of others, it is still indecent exposure and you can be arrested. Which would also be the same if you were to simply walk down the street naked.

Urination is not necessarily indecent exposure.

Indecent exposure is a specific sexual offence that requires:
(A) he intentionally exposes his genitals, and
(B) he intends that someone will see them and be caused alarm

If you deliberately move out of the view of other then you cannot intend for someone to see your genitals.

Anyway, ignoring that issue. I know you can be arrested for both. Though, I am not sure how you can be arrested for something if no one sees you doing it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DorianGrayism
Urination is not necessarily indecent exposure.

Indecent exposure is a specific sexual offence that requires:
(A) he intentionally exposes his genitals, and
(B) he intends that someone will see them and be caused alarm

If you deliberately move out of the view of other then you cannot intend for someone to see your genitals.

Anyway, ignoring that issue. I know you can be arrested for both. Though, I am not sure how you can be arrested for something if no one sees you doing it.

A police officer would obviously have to see you doing it in order to get arrested. But it can also be counted as disorderly behaviour as well as indecent exposure.
Reply 129
Original post by Zakirkhan

I'm an ex muslim and against the burka.
Original post by lamyers1
A police officer would obviously have to see you doing it in order to get arrested. But it can also be counted as disorderly behaviour as well as indecent exposure.

No, it would not be indecent exposure because the Prosecution would have to prove that he was exposing his genitals to distress or alarm rather than urinate like part B states.

It could be counted as a Section 5....then it might not be counted as a section 5, depending on the circumstances and place.
(edited 9 years ago)
The Burka is like a walking middle finger in my opinion.
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
No no i'm saying that i'd want someone who can represent islam to look like he practises the sunnah :P

Yeah I get what you're saying, the world is, sadly, full of hypocrites that say one thing and act upon another.

Haha I don't think my argument was ridiculous, I just think my opinion/view wasn't exactly understood the way I intended it to be.

Personally i think growing a beard is not gonna gain you brownie points or whatever you get for followin sunnah. Its the most ridiculoua sunnah to follow maybe the prophet prefers a beard doesnt mean its a rekigious requirement
I don't really care if people want to wear it, let them. They shouldn't be allowed to wear it in situations when other head gear/face masks etc aren't allowed though. Religion is still arguably based on nothing but fiction so when people get special treatment based on their religious beleifs that does wind me up. As long as religious people and non-religious people of all kinds are treated and afford equal rights I do not mind.

If not then I want a pasta strainer too.

Original post by ihateusernames
Personally i think growing a beard is not gonna gain you brownie points or whatever you get for followin sunnah. Its the most ridiculoua sunnah to follow maybe the prophet prefers a beard doesnt mean its a rekigious requirement

You are joking right? do you actually think the sunnah is not part of religion? Do you even know what you've written?

You need to go do some research, actually learn the facts about islam and the prophet(SAW) before you start start spreading BULL****.

Personally I find your attitude to the sunnah ( see highlighted) beyond disgusting. Makes me sad to know this is the attitude of people that recognises themselves as muslims.
Original post by Radicalathiest
erm yes it is the title of the article the OP is about:rolleyes:

I can tell form this you actually haven't read the article and the arguments it contains

But no out society is fine thanks no one want to stop them doing what they want but they want other to act in a way that they wouldn't normally

As I said it the 'demands' that are made that cause the issues here and the demands for unequal treatment

You fail to make this clear..
isnt banning women from wearing what they want, just as bad as oppresing them
telling someone they cannot wear what they feel comfortable in if its a burka or hijab, but women are free to dress as if they are hardly dressed. wow
just let people dress the way they want end of.
Pathetic.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
You are joking right? do you actually think the sunnah is not part of religion? Do you even know what you've written?

You need to go do some research, actually learn the facts about islam and the prophet(SAW) before you start start spreading BULL****.

Personally I find your attitude to the sunnah ( see highlighted) beyond disgusting. Makes me sad to know this is the attitude of people that recognises themselves as muslims.

Exactly. people dont even know what they're talking about. they're too brainwashed by the media.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Public nudity isn't legal.

Public nudity is illegal for men not women. I still would not walk down the road naked if i was a women i' d be arrested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending