The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

PhD Probation

So, I've just had my first-year review for my PhD and I was given a 6 months probationary period option or MPhil (with the write-up I submitted for the review). I am shattered!!!!!!!! Having a PhD is my life. I don't know what to do; whether to take the probation option or the other. The main complication is that I am self funded, so if I decide to choose the probation option, I'll have to pay the 2nd year fees and risk disqualification at the end if I don't meet up. Any advice, guys? Any of you been in my shoes?
Original post by Lizabeth
So, I've just had my first-year review for my PhD and I was given a 6 months probationary period option or MPhil (with the write-up I submitted for the review). I am shattered!!!!!!!! Having a PhD is my life. I don't know what to do; whether to take the probation option or the other. The main complication is that I am self funded, so if I decide to choose the probation option, I'll have to pay the 2nd year fees and risk disqualification at the end if I don't meet up. Any advice, guys? Any of you been in my shoes?

I have to say I'm surprised they're willing to give you an MPhil based on your work so far, but unwilling to unconditionally confirm your progress to year 2 of a PhD. It's obviously a personal decision - why do you think you didn't pass? And did you have any hints beforehand that this might happen? How do you think you can fix it? If you can't face another 2-3 years, and they are really offering you an MPhil now, then I'd be temped to cash out. On the other hand, if you think they're being mean/you were unlucky/you know what to do, and money isn't an issue, then take the probation offer...

You might do better asking on the PG board about this - there are very few PGs in this subforum:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=100
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Thanks.
I really had no inkling. Think my supervisor should have told me what I was doing wrong beforehand, but she didn't :frown:
I posted the query in the PG board as you advised.
Still undecided and shattered

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending