The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Arts and Sciences (BASc)... a mickey mouse degree?

Okay so i tell people that the 'prestige' of my degree doesn't matter to me but i guess it does a bit.

I'm going off to study the BASc at UCL with a major in Science and Engineering... but since the source is new i'm not sure how well it's regarded etc, and the Engineering projects look a bit of a joke tbh.

Any thoughts? (No-one comments on the official thread). X
Reply 1
UCL don't dish out "mickey mouse" degrees.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by z00ser
UCL don't dish out "mickey mouse" degrees.

Thats what i was hoping.

Guess i'm just insecure lool.
Reply 3
I did this course this year. I wouldn't say it's a mickey mouse degree, but I felt a lot of the core modules contained very basic information, while the major and minor pathways didn't have enough depth to them to rival those who do pure or even combined degrees (although I did the Cultures pathway so I'm not sure how that compares to Sciences and Engineering).

However, the course is quite new so they're still ironing out problems, plus a lot of it is very self-motivated so students do have to put in a lot of extra independent work. I hope this doesn't discourage you from doing the course though, I found that most people enjoyed it, it just wasn't for me! Hope this helps ^_^
Original post by mimbluu
I did this course this year. I wouldn't say it's a mickey mouse degree, but I felt a lot of the core modules contained very basic information, while the major and minor pathways didn't have enough depth to them to rival those who do pure or even combined degrees (although I did the Cultures pathway so I'm not sure how that compares to Sciences and Engineering).

However, the course is quite new so they're still ironing out problems, plus a lot of it is very self-motivated so students do have to put in a lot of extra independent work. I hope this doesn't discourage you from doing the course though, I found that most people enjoyed it, it just wasn't for me! Hope this helps ^_^

(sorry the doubleu on my keyboard isnt orking!)
Hi, i'm applying to do arts and sciences cultures at ucl this year but am having trouble ith my personal statement, i as ondering you could help me out since you've ritten one before? hat kind of things did you mention, here you broad or did you focus on specific things? If it's not too much (don't orry if it is) could you please send me a copy?

Thank you so much, sorry about the lack of a doubleu :smile:
Reply 5
It's not what you do it's where you go in most cases.

UCL is one of the best universities in the world, whatever you do I wouldn't worry as long as you have the prestige of the uni tied to your name.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending