The Student Room Group

Having a unique name

Hi people,

I picked my username 'Lee Mills' because many people have that name. I can't use my real name because I have an usual first name and my surname is rare and French in origin. What I don't like is I am very easy to find online because nobody else shares my name combination.

Do you have a unique name and how do you feel about sharing your real name online? Do you use pseudonym instead?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I use Petulia online everywhere. Some people recognise my username from Twitter but as long as my real name isn't out there I don't mind.
If someone wants to search for me online, then go ahead. I very much doubt that the majority of people that see my username on a student forum are going to be jason bourne with a mission directive to assassinate me, and if they did I wouldn't be too much if they were unfortunate enough to have to resort to this place in order to find me.

I'm sure many people derive my last name from my username as it stands
My first name is really common but my last name isn't, so combined it's pretty unique. I wouldn't feel comfortable using my real name online for anything like this but in the "real world" I like how different my name is - it's memorable and has a story so it acts as a bit of a conversation starter sometimes, and I don't mind that at all. :smile:
My name is kinda un common in the uk, but it's common in other places in the world so I'm not too bothered :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Larissa14
My name is kinda un common in the uk, but it's common in other places in the world so I'm not too bothered :smile:

It's nice. :smile:
My name is uncommon - I hate coming up on search engines

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeeMills77
Hi people,

I picked my username 'Lee Mills' because many people have that name. I can't use my real name because I have an usual first name and my surname is rare and French in origin. What I don't like is I am very easy to find online because nobody else shares my name combination.

Do you have a unique name and how do you feel about sharing your real name online? Do you use pseudonym instead?

You have qualms about being detected online by your name but are comfortable uploading pictures of your face...?
Reply 8
Original post by Birkenhead
You have qualms about being detected online by your name but are comfortable uploading pictures of your face...?

I don't like giving personal details or much about myself online. The face, however, can be online. I not too fussed about that. Nobody knows I'm on here so I can live with that.

Maybe I'm being odd with wanting to be secretive.
When I was young I made my crappy, lame user-name but have never changed it because I'm so use to it.
(edited 7 years ago)
My name isn't common at all. I've always been the only person with it wherever I go. I did a little Facebook search and found that there's only 60+ other people on there with my name (I know there's probably more out there who don't use Facebook)
Reply 11
My name is very uncommon and is my current username. But whenever I search my name on google, I see other women with the same name, but clearly they're not from England so I think I'm fine. Just privatise your profile on social networks.
Original post by Reece Sure
If someone wants to search for me online, then go ahead. I very much doubt that the majority of people that see my username on a student forum are going to be jason bourne with a mission directive to assassinate me, and if they did I wouldn't be too much if they were unfortunate enough to have to resort to this place in order to find me.

I'm sure many people derive my last name from my username as it stands

This.
I don't know where in India this is the case... but some Indians have ultra-long surnames which I guess would be unique.
I'm not sure if I have a unique name. Some say they've never heard it before while I've personally met about 3 or 4 people in the past with my name. The spelling of my name is what's unique. I have a love-hate relationship with it. I just Googled it and the 6th search that came up was my family's names and our address. :nothing: It's too easy to identify me by my first name so I don't like sharing it online. Especially on an account like this on a site like this where I've posted a lot of personal things about me which I strive to hide from people close to me.
I don't have a particularly unique name, but I've never met another person with it. But then I've met people who've said they know tons of girls with the same name so woteva.
My first name is pretty standard, but I doubt there is anyone in this country with my exact last name

:smug: :smug: :smug:

Spoiler

My name appears to be unique in the UK; my first name is the Italian spelling of a Biblical name, and my surname is Italian. A quick search of the birth records for 1996 (using my surname), on Ancestry.co.uk, suggests I was one of only three people born in the UK with that surname that year. And searching using both my first and last name (including the English/Biblical spelling of my first name), I appear to be the only person to have ever been born in the UK with my name.

(Of course, if I were to search Italian records, I'm sure I'd find a few others with my exact name!)

So yeah, I'm very guarded about revealing my real name online, I could easily be tracked otherwise!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by DropkickSmurfy
My name appears to be unique in the UK; my first name is the Italian spelling of a Biblical name, and my surname is Italian. A quick search of the birth records for 1996 (using my surname), on Ancestry.co.uk, suggests I was one of only three people born in the UK with that surname that year. And searching using both my first and last name (including the English/Biblical spelling of my first name), I appear to be the only person to have ever been born in the UK with my name.

(Of course, if I were to search Italian records, I'm sure I'd find a few others with my exact name!)

So yeah, I'm very guarded about revealing my real name online, I could easily be tracked otherwise!

My surname is a Norman surname. The earliest record was a Norman landowner from 1220. On Ancestry.co.uk every person with my surname is related to me. It's amazing. It's like we are a single family that has branched out all around the world. And I've never come across a person with out surname and my first name.

I have nothing to hide but I don't like revealing my full name online because all the search results are on me. I suppose if I had stalkers they'd love it though :/
Reply 19
my name is uncommon and i dont really care

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending