The Student Room Group

Is it better to paid per hour or per annum?

Hi,

I applied for a job through an agency and was informed that I would be paid £9.08 an hour.

Now my few questions are

Is it better to be paid per hour or per annum, and if so why?

Will I receive the full £9.08 per hour or will I have to pay some of that money to my agency?

HR have to deal with the admin/finance side before I can finally hear the words 'your hired/fired'. Why does it have to come all the way to that stage? I mean if they don't want me, surely they would have told me before hand?

Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I applied for a job through an agency and was informed that I would be paid £9.08 an hour.

Now my few questions are

Is it better to be paid per hour or per annum, and if so why?

Will I receive the full £9.08 per hour or will I have to pay some of that money to my agency?

HR have to deal with the admin/finance side before I can finally hear the words 'your hired/fired'. Why does it have to come all the way to that stage? I mean if they don't want me, surely they would have told me before hand?

There's no such issue as 'better or worse'. Jobs that are low paid, transient, fixed term, basic, non-progressive etc are often paid by the hour. Jobs that are permanent, progressive etc are usually salaried, or paid monthly. You don't get a choice.

You will receive £9.08. The employer will be paying the additional money to the agency.

Employing a person is more complicated that just picking the person you liked most from an interview. The employer may be trying to negotiate a lower fee with the agency (I know I would be!), your references have to be checked, someone in the employer's team has to be scheduled to give you an induction and train you up, your details will have to be set up on payroll systems etc etc.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
There's no such issue as 'better or worse'. Jobs that are low paid, transient, fixed term, basic, non-progressive etc are often paid by the hour. Jobs that are permanent, progressive etc are usually salaried, or paid monthly. You don't get a choice.

You will receive £9.08. The employer will be paying the additional money to the agency.

Employing a person is more complicated that just picking the person you liked most from an interview. The employer may be trying to negotiate a lower fee with the agency (I know I would be!), your references have to be checked, someone in the employer's team has to be scheduled to give you an induction and train you up, your details will have to be set up on payroll systems etc etc.

Thanks for your response.

I haven't had my references checked just yet - as they were never requested.

Do they always check references?

Do they always check references?

It would be very unusual not to.
Reply 4
It would be very unusual not to.

They haven't requested for those yet, so I am guessing if they do request for them - then I have an offer
They haven't requested for those yet, so I am guessing if they do request for them - then I have an offer

You won't have to guess, they'll phone you and say 'We'd like to make you an offer, subject to satisfactory references. Please can you give us details of your referees'.
Reply 6
You won't have to guess, they'll phone you and say 'We'd like to make you an offer, subject to satisfactory references. Please can you give us details of your referees'.

Oh ok. Thanks

Do they usually do the admin/finance before checking references or making an offer?
Oh ok. Thanks

Do they usually do the admin/finance before checking references or making an offer?

Irrelevant. You'll be contacted with an answer. Get on with considering things that matter!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending