The Student Room Group

Pay slip

Hi
I joined as a catering assistant last month. I received my salary and pay slip but on that it’s written that they have paid me for 80 hours in a month but no further breakdown of 20 hours per week is done. Is that fine ?
Reply 1
Original post by Jalilkakroo
Hi
I joined as a catering assistant last month. I received my salary and pay slip but on that it’s written that they have paid me for 80 hours in a month but no further breakdown of 20 hours per week is done. Is that fine ?

Yes, it's fine.

Is there a reason why you think it needs to break it down into hours per week?
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
Yes, it's fine.

Is there a reason why you think it needs to break it down into hours per week?

Actually I am allowed only 20 per week and later when I will apply for psw, there might be a speculation that I might have worked more than 20 in some week and less than 20 in other. And the overall average is 80 per month.
I am not sure what I should do about it. Is weekly distribution of hours required in the pay slip. Or if it says 80 per month that’s fine as well ?
Reply 3
Actually I am allowed only 20 per week and later when I will apply for psw, there might be a speculation that I might have worked more than 20 in some week and less than 20 in other. And the overall average is 80 per month.
I am not sure what I should do about it. Is weekly distribution of hours required in the pay slip. Or if it says 80 per month that’s fine as well ?

You can see what should be on your payslip at https://www.gov.uk/payslips:

Your payslip must show:

your earnings before and after any deductions

the amount of any deductions that may change each time you’re paid, for example tax and National Insurance

the number of hours you worked, if your pay varies depending on time worked

So it will need to say that the payslip covers 80 hours of work, since presumably you're paid hourly.

There might be speculation that you've worked more than 20 hours in a week some weeks, and less than 20 hours in others. But as it's perfectly reasonable to assume that if you have worked 80 hours over a 4-week period, you did that by working 20 hours each week, I think anyone questioning that would need to find actual evidence that you've broken the rules -- not just guess that you "might have" broken them.

Many years ago I worked for a supermarket and got paid every four weeks. My payslips always just showed the total number of hours I'd worked in the period, they didn't break it down week-by-week. Obviously my employer kept records of what hours I worked (I had to clock in and clock out) and could have produced those records if required.

Hello,

It is definitely a good idea to keep records of shifts allocated to you, so you have evidence just in case. I think for monthly pay, most employers' pay slips usually just indicate the total number of hours worked over the full month, rather than per week.

However, to be absolutely sure, I would advise you check this issue with your university visa help team.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending