The Student Room Group

Ankle pain

My ankle hurts like a bitch and has done for the past 4 or so days... feels like a strain/tendon injury but do they generally last this long? Quite painful when walking, have been hobbling around. Hasnt gotten better in the slightest. it was not brought on by any specific thing as far as i can remember, just randomly started hurting. no time for GP in the next week or so. Any suggestions?
(edited 9 years ago)
I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle. It was hugely swollen and bruised. It took a week or so for the swelling to go down and 2 -3 weeks for the pain to subside. However, it is three months later and I still get some pain, particularly after being on my feet for some time. I've been told that I could have some pain and discomfort for up to a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If i was you i'd go the ER , ikr the wait is loong. But i had a sprained wrist and didn't go and now have long term problems.
I wonder too what some people have tried apart from seeing their GP. My left knee is painful like hell whilst walking and been like that for almost a week, I did not sprain it, the pain appeared suddenly. Had same issue half a year ago when pain suddenly appeared but then it was in my both knees and I've been suffering the pain for over a week.

Tried Voltarol gel, knee support bands and no effect.
Have you ever had a tendon injury to compare the pain too?

I had trouble with my ankle, which still sometimes flares up, which I thought was a trapped nerve. I didn't have a clue what a trapped nerve felt like so looked suitably dumb when I went for a scan and it was loose cartilage in my ankle joint which had come away during a tackle I screwed up playing football.

If it really doesn't go away, go to A&E rather than your GP. Despite the wait, there is a chance they will Xray you there and then at A&E. If you go to your GP they will likely just book an apointment for you to get an xray and then call you back to see them about the results which is far longer and more hassle.

Quick Reply

Latest