The Student Room Group

Are tattoos lower class?

I've considered getting a tattoo on my hand.
A thin line tattoo that has meaning to me.

But although I feel slightly bad for asking this question, will I be judged for me? Are tattoos considered lower class?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
You won't know for sure till someone openly judges you...

Quite a lot of artists will refuse to do your hands though, esp as your first.
Reply 3
I have a few tattoos and I’ve only ever got compliments, but then again I’m not sure what you mean by “lower class.” There are people who don’t like tattoos and look down on them, but I’m not sure what it has to do with being low class, especially considering well done tattoos can be very expensive, but someone can correct me if wrong. If you want a tattoo, then get one, but if you’re concerned about being judged, hand probably isn’t the right placement, however this sounds like your first tattoo and artists tend not to do hand for your first anyway because it is such a visible spot.
Reply 4
We used to call hand (and neck, face) tattoos 'job stoppers'. Similarly, I used to say that artists won't do your hands unless you're already covered, but this is increasingly false (unfortunately).

I don't know about lower class or whatever, and I don't really care. But generally it's better to have ones you can easily cover, and I say this as someone pretty heavily tattooed.
Vulgar tattoos, very large sexually explicit tattoos that are impossible to cover up and those with foul words or the inflammatory slogans of very controversial groups- all of these are considered indicative of someone idiotic with no class.

Personally I'm no fan of visible tattoos that will show when wearing a casual smart work outfit along the lines of a half sleeve collar shirt, ankle length socks and slightly above knee length trousers/suit/dress
Also something to note based on what a friend who has quite a few tattoos has told me, is that hand tattoos apparently fade much more quickly and tend to need much more frequent touch ups to last, as the skin on your hands evidently gets replaced more frequently due to it being a part of your body that is used frequently and tends to be exposed most of the time.

So you'd probably get better value for money with a tattoo elsewhere anyway.
Thats an okay tattoo, where it becomes a problem is when its a face or somewhere very visible or if it is very vulgar.
A tattoo like the one you suggested would be fine its not going to stop you getting any jobs and only the most snobbish people would even care
Prison tattoos and very rude words in large letters are seen as low class.
A lot of high earner professionals and some average working people do dislike seeing any tattoos in any workplace except a tattoo parlour.
It's safest to only get tattoos done in places that can easily be covered up at all time during the working day.
Original post by mallowtopia
Prison tattoos and very rude words in large letters are seen as low class.
A lot of high earner professionals and some average working people do dislike seeing any tattoos in any workplace except a tattoo parlour.
It's safest to only get tattoos done in places that can easily be covered up at all time during the working day.

I'd like to add to this list;

A barbed wire circlet on a bicep
A panther/snake/lion biting through your skin
Calvin from Calvin & Hobbs peeing on your skin
A small cartoon devil either flipping you off, drowning in a martini glass or committing a hilarious sexual assault. Extra points if you get it done in your local football teams colours
The logo of a team or company you aren;'t involved with and they aren't actually paying you

All low class as **** :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by mathperson
I've considered getting a tattoo on my hand.
A thin line tattoo that has meaning to me.

But although I feel slightly bad for asking this question, will I be judged for me? Are tattoos considered lower class?
They can be lower class, depending on what it is and where it is on your body.

I don't believe in tattoos since my values and beliefs are constantly evolving as I get older.

However, you should only consider one opinion and that is your own.
Original post by lesgo21
They can be lower class, depending on what it is and where it is on your body.

I don't believe in tattoos since my values and beliefs are constantly evolving as I get older.

However, you should only consider one opinion and that is your own.

So you might believe in tattoos again tomorrow? :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by StriderHort
So you might believe in tattoos again tomorrow? :biggrin:
too cheeky eh
Yes
I mean, even though I'm considering getting a tattoo myself, I do think that the only people who get tattoos are those who regularly attend their local pub with the same 4/5 people.
You know what I mean...

But then again, some people who are most definitely not low class are tattooed. One example that springs to mind is Prof Tom Crawford from Tom Rocks Maths - Oxford uni maths professor.
(edited 1 month ago)
I mean, even though I'm considering getting a tattoo myself, I do think that the only people who get tattoos are those who regularly attend their local pub with the same 4/5 people.
You know what I mean...
But then again, some people who are most definitely not low class are tattooed. One example that springs to mind is Prof Tom Crawford from Tom Rocks Maths - Oxford uni maths professor.

What one were you again? Professor or Pub Lout?
Reply 16
Tatts aren't necessarily 'low class', but how well they are done matters and speaks volumes about the quality of the artist. Home made ones reflect the company you keep. People of all walks of life are having them done and you can keep your IQ on display by the stupidity of your artwork.

Always remember the pain of having a tattoo removed before you get one done - it is horrendous
You live with your tatts till you are old and dead. Skin wrinkles and your best artwork can look dreadful when you are 70+ old and grey. What looks good now can look like sh*te in twenty to forty years time.
Reply 17
Original post by StriderHort
What one were you again? Professor or Pub Lout?
Haha I love this!

People get so mad about this stuff.

I've met Tom Crawford, nice bloke. About 1/5 the tattoos I have :lol:

This is really a juvenile question. Who gives a shiny one if other people think you're 'low class'?!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by gjd800
Haha I love this!
People get so mad about this stuff.
I've met Tom Crawford, nice bloke. About 1/5 the tattoos I have :lol:
This is really a juvenile question. Who gives a shiny one if other people think you're 'low class'?!
I take your point, but I feel like it's reasonable to consider whether people would judge you.
I take your point, but I feel like it's reasonable to consider whether people would judge you.

Well the answer appears to be yes, some people will make offensive judgements like you're doing - so you are basically the cause of your own issue.

No tattoo for u.

Quick Reply

Latest