The Student Room Group

Existing as a woman

There should be a revolution for women to exist without severe pain,education early on about what’s normal pain and what isn’t,about actually helping women when in severe pain.We need to live our lives without this unbearable crap.I hope my story helps someone and I hope someone could help me better understand if they can relate with my story and help too!When I started having periods I was in horrible pain and had my period early.”Bad period” “just bad cramps”.Vomiting a lot when I was 13 because of excruciating pain,around 15 I was on the floor screaming for help and for pain relief.Random severe pain when I didn’t have my period almost 5 times in a year on separate occasions.With the cyst my periods were late and harsh so painful.Brushed it off until this year I was in so much pain on the floor bent in half screaming bawling my eyes out.”Bad period,go on birth control,go home”.Went back to a&e with so much pain relief,large ovarian cyst.Dont know how many years it’s been there but it was 11cm by 6cm.Had it removed and by god after surgery I cried for the nurse,the build up of air in my stomach sent me into so much pain shock and panic.Scariest thing I ever experienced yet.The cyst is gone but my periods leave me in severe pain still.They’re still as heavy and a lot of blood clots.Today I cried,almost threw up and rocking back and forth in agony.Left me wondering was it even period pain or a problem with my body after surgery.Have no idea if I have endometriosis or something else like dysmenorrhea.Dont know if a pill would stop it,would it?Would I still be in severe agony.I dont want children but i have to be a certain age to get a hysterectomy,even though there’s no age limit they advise against it if you are young.So many young women having severe pain like me but having endometriosis and wanting relief but never took seriously until they were 30,every article I read about it.If it stops me being in severe pain I’ll do it.If I can’t live normally I’ll take a stand about it.
Reply 1
I might have accidentally posted this a few times because i dont know how this works so if you see different titles it’s the same article
While what I suffered doesn't seem quite as bad as you, I have pcos and suffered severe period pain and very long heavy periods, my worst at the age of 16 lasted two months and could have been longer if they had not given me something to stop the bleeding. At 20 I went on the implant and it stopped my periods all together, it was great, I had 4 over 12 years. Now in my late 30's, I am not on any contraception and though my periods have come back they are no where near as bad, they are sill pretty painful and I have some very heavy days but they only last for 8 days and I have finally found a system to protect me from the leaks that is working currently. For pain relief I tend to stick to ibuprofen (better than paracetamol and an anti-inflammatory rather than pain killer can also help control the bleeding) bit on occasion I have contacted my doctor an they have given me naproxen.

Quick Reply

Latest