The Student Room Group

Do employers have to inform you that you haven't got the job?

Hey guys,
I recently had a very positive job interview for a Health Care Assistant Position in a Nursing Home. The employer gave me the impression that I was very likely to get the position, the employer even sent my references through to my referees! However, its been a month now and I haven't heard anything so I'm wondering is it normal not to have heard anything a month on from interview? Is it possible I was unsuccessful and I was not informed?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thank You :smile:
Reply 1
You probably won't have got it then. I've had a few interviews and never heard back. It's really rude and bad practice but it happens.
No they don't have to inform you unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LouieSax
Hey guys,
I recently had a very positive job interview for a Health Care Assistant Position in a Nursing Home. The employer gave me the impression that I was very likely to get the position, the employer even sent my references through to my referees! However, its been a month now and I haven't heard anything so I'm wondering is it normal not to have heard anything a month on from interview? Is it possible I was unsuccessful and I was not informed?

Yes, it happens all the time.
Lots of employers don't get back to unsuccessful interviewees. Though I have actually had replies after two months or so saying I didn't get the job.

It's annoying, but in my experience it happens way more often than not.
Reply 5
Original post by katehlouise
Lots of employers don't get back to unsuccessful interviewees. Though I have actually had replies after two months or so saying I didn't get the job.

It's annoying, but in my experience it happens way more often than not.

Original post by TurboCretin
Yes, it happens all the time.

Original post by ohhello92x
No they don't have to inform you unfortunately

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ldsbabe
You probably won't have got it then. I've had a few interviews and never heard back. It's really rude and bad practice but it happens.

Out of interest, how long did it take you all to be able to get a job and how much prep did you do prior to interviews?
Thank You.
Out of interest, how long did it take you all to be able to get a job and how much prep did you do prior to interviews?
Thank You.

Um...from beginning to end? About three years...

I probably spent a day or two properly preparing, and a week or so prior to that on reading up on the latest news.
Thank You.

I'd say probably about a year after my last job. Took me at least 2 days to prep for the interview :smile:
I work in retail as I'm currently a student. So what I did was just reading up on the company just in case I got asked about the company and prepared myself answers to possible interview questions :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey guys,

It is possible to get the job and not be informed, in fact many employers specifically state if you haven't heard anything in a certain amount of time then you've been unsuccessful. Having said that I have a friend that went for an HCA job, they weren't told they got it for like a month, then it took another 3 months to actually start working.
Thank You.

I didn't manage to get a job at all last summer. I did some voluntary work in a charity shop, and when I got back to uni I had a job by October. I'm not really sure what kind of 'prep' you mean. My mum talked me through a few things and what kind of questions they may ask, but that was it. Oh, when I knew I had an interview for my current job I did go on their website and read a little about their history. Volunteering definitely helped my CV though. I'd had previous work experience (around 2 years ago) in a football stadium, working at the kiosks, but not retail.
Reply 10
Original post by katehlouise
I didn't manage to get a job at all last summer. I did some voluntary work in a charity shop, and when I got back to uni I had a job by October. I'm not really sure what kind of 'prep' you mean. My mum talked me through a few things and what kind of questions they may ask, but that was it. Oh, when I knew I had an interview for my current job I did go on their website and read a little about their history. Volunteering definitely helped my CV though. I'd had previous work experience (around 2 years ago) in a football stadium, working at the kiosks, but not retail.

Well, I've got plenty of voluntary work because I've volunteered in various places ever since I was 14 (Volunteered at a Visual Impairment Unit, Health Promotion Project, Creche, Charity Shop, Alzheimer's Society etc.) I've also had a few work experience placements here and there (Did a week worth of work experience at a school, nursing work experience and X2 Occupational Therapy Work Experience) but I'm still really struggling to get a job because I don't have a car which is a huge barrier because where I live I'd need to get a train or a bus to get to any kind of job :/ Really hoping, I can get a job soon. I'm desperate at the moment :/ Thanks so much for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending