The Student Room Group

Trig Equation

I've solved the attached equation and got 5pi/20 and 13pi/20, but was informed there are three more solutions. From obtaining 5x - pi/4= pi + n2pi where n is an integer I just followed on algebraically until I got my two solutions. How do I obtain the missing ones?
Original post by samjohnny
I've solved the attached equation and got 5pi/20 and 13pi/20, but was informed there are three more solutions. From obtaining 5x - pi/4= pi + n2pi where n is an integer I just followed on algebraically until I got my two solutions. How do I obtain the missing ones?

Okay, so let's say I had sinx=5\sin x = 5 and I had to solve it in the range 0<x360 0 < x \leq 360 (degrees), I would solve it normally, by using the sine graph or the CAST diagram.

However, if I had sin(x+20)=5\sin (x+20) = 5 and I had to solve it in the range 0<x360 0 < x \leq 360 (degrees), because I no longer am dealing with x - instead I'm dealing with x+20 - my range must change. It will now become:

20<x+20380(degrees) 20 < x+20 \leq 380 (degrees)

Hence, I have to extend my sine graph (or continue to use the CAST diagram) to find other solutions in that range. Do you get what I'm trying to say? So, what would your range become?

You also might want to check the two answers you have - I don't quite understand what you've done.
(edited 9 years ago)

0απ    05α5π    05απ419π4 0\leq\alpha\leq\pi \implies 0\leq5\alpha\leq5\pi \implies 0\leq 5\alpha-\frac{\pi}{4}\leq\frac{19\pi}{4} so we must consider 5απ4=0, π, 2π, 3π, 4π5\alpha-\frac{\pi}{4}=0,\ \pi,\ 2\pi,\ 3\pi,\ 4\pi giving 5 solutions
Reply 3
Ah right, I get it now. Thanks a lot.

I'm also having a hard time on the one after it. It's attached. Not sure where to start or how to follow through.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Ah right, I get it now. Thanks a lot.

I'm also having a hard time on the one after it. It's attached. Not sure where to start or how to follow through.

You want to use the hint they've provided to combine a couple of the cosine terms. Have a play with it and see if you can work out which two can be usefully combined.
Reply 5

Firstly
You should to consider that the sine function is periodic and to solve
the equation according to this generally

e.g. 1. When
sin(5απ4)=0\displaystyle \sin \left (5\alpha -\frac{\pi}{4}\right )=0
then

5απ4=k2π\displaystyle 5\alpha -\frac{\pi}{4}=k\cdot 2\pi
or
5απ4=3π4+k2π\displaystyle 5\alpha -\frac{\pi}{4}=\frac{3\pi}{4}+k\cdot 2\pi

That is
First solution sequence
α=π20+k2π5\displaystyle \alpha = \frac{\pi}{20}+k\cdot \frac{2\pi}{5}
and the second solution sequence
α=π5+k2π5\displaystyle \alpha = \frac{\pi}{5}+k\cdot \frac{2\pi}{5}

Secondly.
From general solutions you have to choose those whiches are in the
given range for k=0,±1,±2...k=0, \pm 1, \pm 2 ...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest