The Student Room Group

Could I still pursue a job in animation with computer science instead of Software eng

In September, I'm starting my A-Levels and moving into year 12. I've thought about doing Software Engineering at University, but I realise that you need Physics for it. I'm fairly good at physics but it's not a subject I really want to take at A-level because I don't find it interesting.

I thought about Software Engineering because I want to be an animator for films/games as a job. Could I still be an animator if I took computer science instead of Software Engineering? I've checked on numerous University sites and they say that physics is not essential for computer science so I'm thinking of taking that instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
What makes you think you need physics? I have a feeling the chap I lived with in first year didn't do physics. An example here doesn't quote physics, or Manchester. Don't be fooled by the name - engineering courses largely require physics, but software engineering is usually taught from within the school of computer science where really maths is the only outright requirement.

If you want to do animation, have you considered doing a degree in animation/related? Computer science type routes lead you more to programming etc. Animation will require you to submit a portfolio of work usually for entry though, so if you're not taking graphics/art or related subjects then that will be something to put together over the next year.
Reply 2
I know that atleast at my uni (Bath) there are 2 or more modules with graphics/animation type units on the Computer Science course (which doesn't require physics).
Reply 3
Okay thanks for the advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending