The Student Room Group

Students who get an A* grade in English are more clever than those doing Math/Science

EDIT - This is at GCSE and A Level standard

Couldn't fit the title I wanted in its entirety so see below.

So students who get an A* grade in English are more clever than students getting an A* grade in subjects such as Math and Science.

Don't you all think that I am correct. I've been talking to other TSRians and wanted to pose the aforementioned question.

Subjects such as Maths,Science etc. are easy, a piece of cake to metaphorise(my new word) it.. Anyone can remember trends in ionisation energies but it is obvious that remembering quotes requires a higher skill of dexterity. And also for subjects such as Maths - past papers are in abundance, and there are websites which spoon-feed you the material, i.e. Exam Solutions. Not like English - where you have to do all the work independently.

Subjects like Biology are particularly easy revise the book and there is your A*, not like English Lit where you could get asked so many different types of questions.

Subjects like Eng lit requires both hard work and natural talent - something that you only really need a bit-part work ethic to do for Maths and Science subjects.

It's much more difficult to remember the PEE structure and to quote what where and talk about all of the linguistic devices - whilst keeping under time management. On the flipside rearranging equations is second nature to everyone - not too difficult imo. I'll tell you what's difficult the amount of time you have to set aside in reading, and writing for REAL subjects like English Literature and History :yep:

I consider myself to be correct in my reasoning here, and so I don't want all you mathsy students having a go at me. There are no right or wrong answers in english, making it even more difficult to attain an A* and we have coursework making a large percentage of our final grade - whereas maths students - edexcel - have their grade solely based on the exams they take.

Lastly all of you maths and science students seething behind your computer screen, or phone screen if you are out and about - sit down you know I'm right :yep: I hope you are not too mad. :colone:

Spoiler

Now discuss.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You have to be joking
Reply 2
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Couldn't fit the title I wanted in its entirety so see below.

So students who get an A* grade in English are more clever than students getting an A* grade in subjects such as Math and Science.

Don't you all think that I am correct. I've been talking to other TSRians and wanted to pose the aforementioned question.

Subjects such as Maths,Science etc. are easy, a piece of cake I to metaphorise(my new word) it.. Anyone can remember trends in ionisation energies but it obvious that remembering quotes requires a higher skill of dexterity. And also for subjects such as Maths - past papers are in abundance, and there are websites which spoon-feed you the material, i.e. Exam Solutions. Not like English - where you have to do all the work independently.

Subjects like Biology are particularly easy revise the book and there is your A*, not like English Lit where you could get asked so many different types of questions.

Subjects like Eng lit requires both hard work and natural talent - something that you only really need a bit-part work ethic to do for Maths and Science subjects.

It's much more difficult to remember the PEE structure and to quote what where and talk about all of the linguistic devices - whilst keeping under time management. On the flipside rearranging equations is second nature to everyone - not too difficult imo. I'll tell you what's difficult the amount of time you have to set aside in reading, and writing for REAL subjects like English Literature and History :yep:

I consider myself to be correct in my reasoning here, and so I don't want all you mathsy students having a go at me. There are no right or wrong answers in english, making it even more difficult to attain an A* and we have coursework making a large percentage of our final grade - whereas maths students - edexcel - have their grade solely based on the exams they take.

Lastly all of you maths and science students seething behind your computer screen, or phone screen if you are out and about - sit down you know I'm right :yep: I hope you are not too mad. :colone:

Spoiler

Now discuss.

I am glad you're joking! I nearly had a panic attack! :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Secretnerd123
You have to be joking

Check his spoiler!
Holy **** OP.
A* in English and sciences and maths GCSE checking in. Master race status

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I bet you're "joking" because of your fear of an argument.
The subjects just use different skills. I wouldn't say either makes people more intelligent, just different. It does seem strange to me when people say that English is easy compared to maths and science - at GCSE I was comfortably able to get A*s in science and maths, but unable to get A*s in English or English lit, and it's not like I didn't try. People on this website often write off degrees such as English as doss subjects, but I'm pretty sure I would have struggled more with that than I did with my chemistry degree, so I admire people who do have the necessary talents.
getting an A* in English is better than an A* in Maths or Physics? Adonbillivit.
Original post by thechemistress
Holy **** OP.

I'm sorry my friend. The englishstress has a better ring to it /loljk

Did you like the read :wink:

Original post by Dani04
Check his spoiler!

:biggrin:

Original post by Reptilian

Yep me too, we should make a tsr society xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Ndella
I bet you're "joking" because of your fear of an argument.

Quite the contrary TSR user Ndella - I do the maths and sciences, #inb4thestorm
Can confirm, tbh most of the people who are supposed to get A* in english (at least in my classes) are smarter than me
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Why not A*s in both? :colone:
x

You have way too much time on your hands! :rolleyes:

But I think in a way some of it is quite true. English Lit. is pretty difficult so you should give credit to those who get A*s in the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry my friend. The englishstress has a better ring to it /loljk

Did you like the read :wink:

theenglishstress is such a ****ty name :tongue:

Indeed. It did hold some truth, I guess. Though an important thing to remember is that whilst some sciences (like biology) are pure memorisation, others (chemistry and physics) are more understanding and application- which is where a lot of people struggle. People do find it hard to grasp some of the key concepts of science :tongue:
Original post by Arithmeticae
Can confirm

Do you mean at GCSE tho? I really don't think it means anything tbh

xD

No I meant both, mate I got fed up of people thinking that Eng is a real subject at degree and a level on here and irl.

Nor do I, but it needed to be said.
Original post by Zen-Ali
Why not A*s in both? :colone:

In gcse for sure.

No point english at a level tbh :biggrin:
''more clever''

really? You're certainly not cleverer then...i imagine no A*s in english for you lol
Original post by karmacrunch
You have way too much time on your hands! :rolleyes:

But I think in a way some of it is quite true. English Lit. is pretty difficult so you should give credit to those who get A*s in the subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's been said :yep:

At gcse I was one of those too, I'm sorry I just don't think it is real though per se.

theenglishstress is such a ****ty name :tongue:

Indeed. It did hold some truth, I guess. Though an important thing to remember is that whilst some sciences (like biology) are pure memorisation, others (chemistry and physics) are more understanding and application- which is where a lot of people struggle. People do find it hard to grasp some of the key concepts of science :tongue:

IDD :P

I for one think Chemistry is the most difficult science, but you are right yeah.

Judging from your name I would say you disagree :tongue:
Original post by Reptilian

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSEs tho.

Don't count

Posted from TSR Mobile

IDD :P

I for one think Chemistry is the most difficult science, but you are right yeah.

Judging from your name I would say you disagree :tongue:

IDD? I don't dance? :tongue:

Nah, I think Physics is more difficult. But then again, some people will disagree with me xD
IDD? I don't dance? :tongue:

Nah, I think Physics is more difficult. But then again, some people will disagree with me xD

No lol, I don't deny, or I don't disagree.

Everyone loves benzene <3

Helpful hint that no-one told me for physics.

Look at the units of the answer given in the question. For example if you are stuck and have no idea what to do on a phy question and the units are ms^-1, do distance/time. Picked up a lot more marks than if I hadn't had realised that personally. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest