The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is no necessary link between intelligence and eccentricity. An issue that might lead to that assumption though is that when someone is ridiculously gifted at something such as maths for example, their brain may be somewhat defficient in other areas which might lead to them behaving in ways that could be construed as being eccentric.
Another thing is they may really enjoy maths and spend a hell of a lot of time doing it and not enough time hanging out with people, which means again they may act in slightly different ways.
Reply 2
I suspect that only intelligent people get called "eccentric", whereas others are referred to as "weird attention-seeking prats".
Reply 3
As a rough guide, people who say they're eccentric aren't.
Reply 4
I hear it a habit of a lot of nerds (particularly in university maths/sciences departments) to deliberately exaggerate their eccentricity to appear smarter
Reply 5
no, i don't think eccentricity has anything to do with intelligence, it just means they have a trait which makes them unusal/wakey - any intelligence can have that.
Reply 6
The worst are psuedo-eccentrics who desperately try to cultivate eccentricity by wearing a monacle at 24 and callling clubs 'discotheques'.
Reply 7
I saw someone smoking lammie bammies through a cigarette holder. Knob.
Reply 8
If an unintelligent person acts weird they are just strange but if an intelligent person does it they are eccentric because people know they are smart so they must be something more than those weird idiots.
Reply 9
mipmapped

What?
lammie bammies

Lambert & Butler :smile:
Reply 11
mipmapped

Really? What a pillock. If i hadn't repped some other person today already, I would have given it to you for that :biggrin:

University does tend to have a higher amount of tw*ts who ponce around pretending to be eccentric. Now, not that I think violence is cool, but I saw one monocled idiot calling a ned an 'insufferable peasant'. I doubt the ned knew the meaning of the words (being over 1 syllable in length), but knew it was insulting and smacked the guy one, shouting 'that's wha' yer gettin, ya speccy poof'.

And no, being eccentric doesn't equate to intelligence. A mildly autistic person would come across as being eccentric, and more often than not are of sub-normal intelligence.
I think my aunt is eccentric and most definitely not what I'd call intelligent...
i talk to myself
does that mean im eccentric?
Cadre_Of_Storms
i talk to myself
does that mean im eccentric?

no, i don't think so. I talk to myself on my mobile walking down the street when trying to avoid random creeps. And I read out loud to myself.

Maybe if you spoke in the third person or with puppets in your hand... :-)
How about having a disease like Pete from Big Brother?
Reply 16
Inspiron
As a rough guide, people who say they're eccentric aren't.

Agree with that totally. Slightly off topic, but I know quite a few "boring" people who say they are just to cover up for that fact that they are actually boring:rolleyes: .
wow so if you say you are something, it usually means you aren't and vice versa. Although, when you say you are something, it can also mean that you are just try to cover up for the fact that you really are that thing. Gee..you humans are so complicated.
Reply 18
BeesKnees
wow so if you say you are something, it usually means you aren't and vice versa. Although, when you say you are something, it can also mean that you are just try to cover up for the fact that you really are that thing. Gee..you humans are so complicated.

Of course that doesn't apply to everyone, I didn't mean that. Yes, I'm generalising, I was merely replying with what I'd noticed in a few people. Gee, that's now a crime:rolleyes: .
Reply 19
Another thing is they may really enjoy maths and spend a hell of a lot of time doing it and not enough time hanging out with people, which means again they may act in slightly different ways

I think this is probably quite accurate. If you spend hours locked in a room by yourself doing whatever it is you do, you probably wont have a normal social life. I guess that might lead to some sort of mental problems which might be called eccentricity. Likewise, there are certain mental "problems" which cause people to become obsessive about certain things, or be extremely good at them and therefore more likely to spend a lot of time on them.

Latest

Trending

Trending