The Student Room Group

UN should Intervene

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DErasmus
9 years ago? Countries can't change their mind in 9 years right? What a patronising remark as well. Maybe it's you who should read instead of having to go back 9 years for evidence. Kill a hell of a lot more? They need just enough to satisfy apologists like you and avoid International sanctions.

I'm merely going to state a fact here, I'm not taking sides.

You are correct, something did change and I'll tell you what that was.

In 2005 Israel and Fatah (palestines current government) made efforts to co exist peacefully.
Not only did Israel withdraw it's settlers, as has already been mentioned they also signed an agreement giving Palestine total control of imports/exports. There was no blockade.
Israel also gave Palestine 100 million dollars in aid.
This was done despite open opposition and threats from Hamas.

In 2007 Hamas staged a violent coup and overthrew Fatah. Hamas themselves murdered a lot of innocent people during this seize of power. Hamas then declared war on Israel. Hamas are nothing but a terrorist organisation and Israel set up an entirely legal and UN sanctioned blockade to prevent Hamas from importing arms and weaponry.

Even during this current conflict Fatah are trying to convince Hamas to come to a peaceful agreement with Israel. Hamas will not. They are extremists with the sole desire to eradicate Israel altogether, there will be no discussion and no possibility of peace while Hamas is at the helm.

That is what changed

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by UniOfLife

So you believe that Israel has no legal right to attack Hamas.

:yawn:
No, where have i said that? It has the right to attack Hamas but it must do so proportionally which it clearly isn't.

In that case we have nothing more to talk about.

Ah we agree on something at least, if you're going to resort to straw man arguments there really is no point.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by miscounted_time
I'm merely going to state a fact here, I'm not taking sides.

You are correct, something did change and I'll tell you what that was.

In 2005 Israel and Fatah (palestines current government) made efforts to co exist peacefully.
Not only did Israel withdraw it's settlers, as has already been mentioned they also signed an agreement giving Palestine total control of imports/exports. There was no blockade.
Israel also gave Palestine 100 million dollars in aid.
This was done despite open opposition and threats from Hamas.

In 2007 Hamas staged a violent coup and overthrew Fatah. Hamas themselves murdered a lot of innocent people during this seize of power. Hamas then declared war on Israel. Hamas are nothing but a terrorist organisation and Israel set up an entirely legal and UN sanctioned blockade to prevent Hamas from importing arms and weaponry.

Even during this current conflict Fatah are trying to convince Hamas to come to a peaceful agreement with Israel. Hamas will not. They are extremists with the sole desire to eradicate Israel altogether, there will be no discussion and no possibility of peace while Hamas is at the helm.

That is what changed

Posted from TSR Mobile

If israel cared about the lives of kids they would of used their ground forces to dislodge hamas not just bomb the place knowing there are innocent people and children hiding and sleeping.
Original post by Ganhad
If israel cared about the lives of kids they would of used their ground forces to dislodge hamas not just bomb the place knowing there are innocent people and children hiding and sleeping.

First of all, for Israel, the lives of Israeli citizens whether civilians or army - come first.

And that's the same with any country and their own citizens.

Secondly, Hamas are firing from buildings with civilians in them. They're being killed because of this.

There was a report in the Israel media of a palestinian gunman charging an Israeli soldier with a rifle in one hand and a baby in the other. Obviously there is no proof in this case, but there is plenty of other documented proof of Hamas using civilians and child suicide bombers too.
Original post by n00
:yawn: No, where have i said that? It has the right to attack Hamas but it must do so proportionally which it clearly isn't.

I posed the question:

"Is Israel acting legally in attacking Hamas?"

and you said "no".

Let me refine my question then more closely so you cannot wiggle. Does Israel have the legal right, in principle, to attack Hamas?
Reply 85
I posed the question:

"Is Israel acting legally in attacking Hamas?"

and you said "no".

Yes, and whats your point?

Let me refine my question then more closely so you cannot wiggle. Does Israel have the legal right, in principle, to attack Hamas?

Come now, I've answered that in the post you're quoting.

:wavey:
Original post by n00
Yes, and whats your point?

Come now, I've answered that in the post you're quoting.

:wavey:

OK. So since Israel is legally allowed to attack Hamas then it cannot be criticised for that action alone. It can still be criticised for any illegal actions during the attack. Now, do you agree that Israel is, in principle, legally allowed to attack Hamas even if the attack inevitably results in civilian deaths?
Original post by n00
:yawn:
No, where have i said that? It has the right to attack Hamas but it must do so proportionally which it clearly isn't.

Ah we agree on something at least, if you're going to resort to straw man arguments there really is no point.

Why should it be proportional? Unless Hamas stops firing at Israel the fastest route to peace is their annihilation and further land occupation.
Original post by Rakas21
Why should it be proportional? Unless Hamas stops firing at Israel the fastest route to peace is their annihilation and further land occupation.

So by that logic we should have carpet bombed the whole of Afghanistan and removed the Taliban by turning the entire region to glass. I can see you thought that one out
Original post by bertstare
So by that logic we should have carpet bombed the whole of Afghanistan and removed the Taliban by turning the entire region to glass. I can see you thought that one out

We eradicated their government pretty quickly. Going after small targets that are scattered requires finesse.

Fortunately Gaza is tiny and Hamas are not scattered, ergo they are easy targets.
Reply 90
Original post by Pinzgauer
First of all, for Israel, the lives of Israeli citizens whether civilians or army - come first.

And that's the same with any country and their own citizens.

Secondly, Hamas are firing from buildings with civilians in them. They're being killed because of this.

There was a report in the Israel media of a palestinian gunman charging an Israeli soldier with a rifle in one hand and a baby in the other. Obviously there is no proof in this case, but there is plenty of other documented proof of Hamas using civilians and child suicide bombers too.

lol im getting more and more shocked on how soulless israeli supporters are no matter what as a human i would never attack "hostages" you could atleast express remorse not glee at the deaths of kids . racist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending