The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

What does this tutor feedback on an essay mean?

Hi,

So far I've studied A100 Introduction to the Arts and Humanities and DD101 Introduction to the Social Sciences. I often receive comments on my assignments that I have drawn on more material than necessary when writing the essay. I seek out and read more material whilst planning an essay so that I feel I better understand the subject, but receive feedback such as "drawing on themwidely...more than satisfies this criterion.." and "note that you are not expected to have to use other materials for the module." Is this a bad sign?

Are they saying that I am using more than I should? Is it hurting the essay rather than helping? Or are they simply pointing it out so that I know I could use that time to focus on more vital parts of the essay writing if I needed to?

I realise I should just have asked my tutors when they said this, but I'm only just thinking of it now... T_T
Thank you!
Reply 1
It means that as good as it is you are using the extra material, there is no point. You won't gain any extra marks from using them, and can gain full marks without using them. The feedback shows your extra work is impressive, but ultimately pointless.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Okay got it, thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 3
At Level 1 they don't really expect students to look for information outside of the module materials provided. Your skills are more advanced and should come in handy if you go onto further studies.

Quick Reply

Latest