The Student Room Group

IGCSE English Language Spec B - revision advice

My son has got his English exam on 5th June. He's had his last session with his tutor 2 days ago, and that's it now, he won't be having another session with her because s he's on half term break next week.

So now he's got this week to revise, and I'm not entirely sure what to tell him to revise.

It's Spec B, so there's no anthology for him to be studying from. The comprehension will be unseen, and then there's a writing piece which will either be formal (so like a job interview letter or something) or informal (so maybe a presentation to a class of kids), and then there's fictional writing (so a story, or descriptive writing).

What on earth do I tell him to do this week? If he does any past papers, he's going to show me what he's done and I'm just going to be like "erm yeah... cool" because I suck at marking past papers for essay subjects. Best I can do is point out if his spelling or grammar is faulty, or maybe if I think he could do with a few more literary devices, but I'm not sure what else to tell him. He's been having one-on-one sessions with his tutor for months and she is the one who usually gives him advice on his homeworks and past papers.

Is anybody else doing Spec B? How are you guys revising this week?
I have no idea if this advice will be useful at all but I can try my best. I am unsure of this spec too so I am just applying my past general knowledge from when I took English GCSE.
Obviously the most effective would be feedback on essays but if this is not possible at the moment could he remind himself of past feedback and write one in timed condition applying this feedback and then try to mark his own work - when you're working under a clock you're likely to forget things to add so he could see his areas of weakness?

Essay plans are always helpful, using past questions to structure a plan - this will also help get him in the habit of writing a quick plan before starting his essays.

Additionally I remember we had to remember lots of quotes and types of analysis, could he use flashcards to go over this? He could also try to find some example essays online, there's usually a few given out from the exam board - sometimes they comment on areas of success and weakness in past student essays from exams.

Reading the examiner feedback for past exams is always very useful, there is usually a common mistake students all fall on - so highlighting these areas to your son may encourage him to avoid them.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help, I wish your son the best!
Original post by Student2011584
I have no idea if this advice will be useful at all but I can try my best. I am unsure of this spec too so I am just applying my past general knowledge from when I took English GCSE.
Obviously the most effective would be feedback on essays but if this is not possible at the moment could he remind himself of past feedback and write one in timed condition applying this feedback and then try to mark his own work - when you're working under a clock you're likely to forget things to add so he could see his areas of weakness?

Essay plans are always helpful, using past questions to structure a plan - this will also help get him in the habit of writing a quick plan before starting his essays.

Additionally I remember we had to remember lots of quotes and types of analysis, could he use flashcards to go over this? He could also try to find some example essays online, there's usually a few given out from the exam board - sometimes they comment on areas of success and weakness in past student essays from exams.

Reading the examiner feedback for past exams is always very useful, there is usually a common mistake students all fall on - so highlighting these areas to your son may encourage him to avoid them.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help, I wish your son the best!

Thank you
No there's no quotes for him to remember, it's all unseen, but the other ideas are useful thank you :smile:
I also have just remembered that looking at real life examples of formal documents helps with the structure. For example in psychology we may have to write a consent form - so I looked at real life consent forms.

Quick Reply

Latest