The Student Room Group

how to self mark essay questions?? (gcse)

for subjs like sociology, history or business how do u self mark an answer???? i nvrrrr understand the mark scheme n it's esp hard for sociology (like the 12 markers)
honestly me too and teachers dont have time to mark either, but mainly i just look at the points which the mark scheme says and see if i included them. also looking at exemplars from your exam board are veryy helpful you can get an insight about what the examiners are looking for and they also include feedback with the marks
I must admit this is something we struggle with too. I always stick quite rigidly to things included in the mark scheme and mark quite strictly, but it seems that tutors are a bit more generous.

I believe the general trend is to mark positively, so even if something isn't in the mark scheme, if it's a valid point nevertheless, you'd probably still get a mark for it.

It's tricky though I agree.
Reply 3
Original post by anonymous2682
honestly me too and teachers dont have time to mark either, but mainly i just look at the points which the mark scheme says and see if i included them. also looking at exemplars from your exam board are veryy helpful you can get an insight about what the examiners are looking for and they also include feedback with the marks

yesss ex answers r rly helpful ++ thank u <333
Reply 4
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I must admit this is something we struggle with too. I always stick quite rigidly to things included in the mark scheme and mark quite strictly, but it seems that tutors are a bit more generous.

I believe the general trend is to mark positively, so even if something isn't in the mark scheme, if it's a valid point nevertheless, you'd probably still get a mark for it.

so does that mean if i make valid points even in the exam i can still get full marks? wow thank u <3333
Original post by mzzz_k
so does that mean if i make valid points even in the exam i can still get full marks? wow thank u <3333

Generally speaking yes - I know examiners are told to try and pull relevant answers from essays in order to mark positively rather than negatively.
Reply 6
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Is this applicable to 4 markers in sociology aswell, or you only get marks for the indicative content on the mark scheme only, or are those just examples on what someone could write?
Original post by mzzz_k
for subjs like sociology, history or business how do u self mark an answer???? i nvrrrr understand the mark scheme n it's esp hard for sociology (like the 12 markers)

For history I recommend this website:

https://app.edumentors.co.uk/gcse

It marks your past paper essays for history (+ english lit/lang)

Quick Reply

Latest