The Student Room Group

Spare time at uni

Hey TSR! I start uni in september and i'm going to be doing software engineering and I was just wondering, how much spare time do students actually get? I know it varies course by course, and students doing stuff like pharmacy etc. are probably going to be much more occupied, however im sure the course Im going to be doing isnt like that. So on average how much spare time would you get in a day/week in your first, second, third and fourth years? Of course this would still mean there'd be commitment to get a 2:1 in the end, but I have a lot of hobbies (sports and gym being the main ones), and I am usually more focused with other tasks if I'm able to do these during the week.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
loads of free time most people have time for hobby's societies ect. I only have a few lectures a day plus time spent doing work but after that evenings and late afternoon I am free.
First year you'll have tonnes of free time and I guess the other years depend on how well you're doing on your course. If you set good study habits in the first year and stick for them for year 2 and 3 then you'll probably have quite a lot of spare time. If I were you I would try to get a job (or something else that occupies you) because too much free time isn't always such a good thing.
Reply 4
Original post by 93jm
loads of free time most people have time for hobby's societies ect. I only have a few lectures a day plus time spent doing work but after that evenings and late afternoon I am free.

Are you in first year?
Reply 5
Original post by jmadden
Are you in first year?

no just finished my 2nd year
Reply 6
Original post by 93jm
no just finished my 2nd year

Do you think you had much less time on your hands in 2nd year compared to first year or not that much?
Which university are you going to?
It depends VERY much on your university and course. Personally, I had almost no free time and was studying 60-70 hours a week - but some of my friends studying humanities courses at other unis had only a few lectures a week, a couple of essays a term, and consequently loads of free time. I've heard that in later years you tend to get more work - but you also get better at managing your time efficiently...
Reply 8
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Which university are you going to?
It depends VERY much on your university and course. Personally, I had almost no free time and was studying 60-70 hours a week - but some of my friends studying humanities courses at other unis had only a few lectures a week, a couple of essays a term, and consequently loads of free time. I've heard that in later years you tend to get more work - but you also get better at managing your time efficiently...

Bournemouth. 60-70 hours a week? :eek:
Original post by jmadden
Bournemouth. 60-70 hours a week? :eek:

Yeah, I'm at Cambridge doing Natural Sciences - which I think is one of the courses with the most contact hours they offer, as well as being at a university renown for giving students too much work :frown: I enjoy it though, so it's not impossible... I think most other students have a lot less work, so you should be fine :smile:

I would highly recommend spending some of your spare time joining societies as they are a great way of meeting new people, having a study break, and potentially taking on more responsibilities by becoming a committee member (great for the CV) :smile:
Reply 10
I did law and while 3rd year got a bit stressful I still found time to carry on with my hobbies and societies. I had to cut back in April time to concentrate on revision but before then I had plenty of time to split between my course and my hobbies/free time, and I got my 2:1 in the end :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending