The Student Room Group

3rd time at university

Okay so, I've started university twice previously (once I left by Christmas and the second time I failed first year) these were all due to mental health reasons and me not being mentally stable enough to be at university. I'm getting help finally and want to go back to uni when I'm stable and "better".

As i've been twice this takes two years of my student finance away. Is there any way I can get a year back if I provide any medical evidence?
I'm pretty sure there's no way you're going to be able to get extra funding from SFE, although don't quote me on that - just ring 'em and ask, they're usually pretty helpful. Whilst you're at it, I'd inquire about the Disabled Students' Allowance, since it covers mental health issues. :smile:
Reply 2
If you can provide them with a letter from your university stating that you left because of exceptional circumstances they can wipe your debt.
Original post by TeamFTW
If you can provide them with a letter from your university stating that you left because of exceptional circumstances they can wipe your debt.

I don't believe it'll wipe your debt - you'll still owe the money but you can get extra funding if you left for medical reasons. I've done two years and SFE is funding a whole new course for me because I failed one year because I'm ill.
Reply 4
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I don't believe it'll wipe your debt - you'll still owe the money but you can get extra funding if you left for medical reasons. I've done two years and SFE is funding a whole new course for me because I failed one year because I'm ill.

Oh sorry, that's what I meant by it. Just that they'd remove the strike against that year of funding. I was typing in a rush. xD
Reply 5
Original post by SmallTownGirl

^ Yep, this!
Reply 6
Original post by SweetNothing
Okay so, I've started university twice previously (once I left by Christmas and the second time I failed first year) these were all due to mental health reasons and me not being mentally stable enough to be at university. I'm getting help finally and want to go back to uni when I'm stable and "better".

As i've been twice this takes two years of my student finance away. Is there any way I can get a year back if I provide any medical evidence?

Yes.

It's called Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR), and if accepted, it will give you back the one year of SF entitlement you need to start a new degree from scratch and complete it.

SF have a formal CPR application process, so you'll need to find their forms/paperwork and fill it in. They'll want written proof from a third party (GP, consultant, therapist etc) of how your condition affected your ability to study. You should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending