The Student Room Group

Deep friendships

Since three years ago, I have always wanted a deep friendship (preferably with a female) because it is honestly impossible to know the real me via any other means. I also want someone that I can share my abstract thoughts (and ideas) with.

To those of you that prefer deep friendships, why is that? And, if you don't, why not?

How many friendships do you have that you could, feasibly, categorise as "deep friendship"?

How did your friendship(s) grow into "deep friendship"?

Can "deep friendship" only be found in a romantic relationship?

Does your "deep friendship(s)" have a spiritual edge to it?

Yeah I know nothing of that sort.

I think those with close friends wouldn't be on an internet forum, they'd be talking to/having fun with their friends right this moment. (Or be asleep now)
I've felt the same, I really want a 'deep' friend, something more than the usual superficial hangouts and conversation. Most people don't seem to like it though and find it weird if I try to have deep conversations, so I usually don't.
Currently I wouldn't say I have any. I think I've only really had two friendships that I'd class as deep. The first, well she was originally a mutual friend but once we met we got chatting more online as we both spent far too long on our laptops. I guess it became deep because we were both quite random people but we were both willing to continue things, so if I started a random trail of thought she'd continue and delve more into it when most people would laugh or move on. We both really clicked and as we went to school together we'd talk during the day, but that was more normal jokey conversation as other people were around, then we'd IM in the evenings at first, later we'd talk on the phone for literally hours, about anything and everything really. I guess because we spoke so much and knew all the normal stuff about each other we'd talk about all sorts of random stuff and thoughts and idea, and we both asked a lot of questions which helped.
The other one, she was just a crazy sort of person and normal conversation bored her, she was after more meaningful conversation and would ask the oddest things. It was a more brief friendship but I'd class it as deep.
Since neither of those are lesbian stories (much though as I read the first one back it sounds like it!), yeah I'd say it can be non-romantic.
I'm not really sure what you mean by spiritual!
Reply 3
Original post by joker12345
I've felt the same, I really want a 'deep' friend, something more than the usual superficial hangouts and conversation. Most people don't seem to like it though and find it weird if I try to have deep conversations, so I usually don't.
Currently I wouldn't say I have any. I think I've only really had two friendships that I'd class as deep. The first, well she was originally a mutual friend but once we met we got chatting more online as we both spent far too long on our laptops. I guess it became deep because we were both quite random people but we were both willing to continue things, so if I started a random trail of thought she'd continue and delve more into it when most people would laugh or move on. We both really clicked and as we went to school together we'd talk during the day, but that was more normal jokey conversation as other people were around, then we'd IM in the evenings at first, later we'd talk on the phone for literally hours, about anything and everything really. I guess because we spoke so much and knew all the normal stuff about each other we'd talk about all sorts of random stuff and thoughts and idea, and we both asked a lot of questions which helped.
The other one, she was just a crazy sort of person and normal conversation bored her, she was after more meaningful conversation and would ask the oddest things. It was a more brief friendship but I'd class it as deep.
Since neither of those are lesbian stories (much though as I read the first one back it sounds like it!), yeah I'd say it can be non-romantic.
I'm not really sure what you mean by spiritual!

Thank you, very much, for your contribution! By 'spiritual' I mean did you guys ever talk about religion, philosophy based on religion etc.? And do you think the deep friendship "happened by fate"?
Original post by Summerdays
Thank you, very much, for your contribution! By 'spiritual' I mean did you guys ever talk about religion, philosophy based on religion etc.? And do you think the deep friendship "happened by fate"?

It's fine, was actually quite nice to talk about, it's an unusual subject. Oh, yes we definitely did (the first one at least), we had very different religious views so we discussed our reasons/feelings for that a lot and we'd discuss hypothetical scenarios quite a lot (something I love doing but people tend to find stupid and pointless). Wow you've made me really miss that friendship!
I'm not really sure I believe in fate, but yeah, coincidence I guess that made us meet, but after that it just comes down to people clicking with each other.
Reply 5
I do prefer deep friendships but like to keep them to a minimum simply because that type of friendship is more meaningful to me that way. I wouldn't particularly like to get deep with every single friend I have, although some times it is necessary and you do need to put jokes aside. But I like having friend's that I can be light-hearted with and forget all the intense questions and thoughts for a while. I would consider myself as being involved in 5 "deep friendships". I guess these friendships grew into deep friendship's because of our personalities. I consider these people as very close to me. Some of them have developed over time, so perhaps time is one factor. Taking the time to get to know someone and them doing the same to you helps you confide in eachother and makes it easier to really express what's on your mind. I've noticed that I can really be myself with these people, so another factor is feeling comfortable around that person. This helps me to convey my abstract thoughts and ideas with that person. After reading the next question I realised that there has always been a slight romantic attraction between the guy's who I've had deep friendships. This worked both ways. We didn't necessarily peruse anything but it was definitely there on both sides. However, with the female friends there was no romantic attraction so perhaps that may answer your question. Out conversations did consist of religion and philosophy as it is something that interests us. Also, I think religion and philosophy are very deep concepts so it was inevitable. I'm not one to rely and depend on fate, so no, I don't believe that these deep friendships accumulated as a consequence of fate. Instead, two people just found each other on this Earth connected on a deep level. Small world.
Hi :smile:

Deep friendships are my favourite - and seeming speciality at times....
Im a girl - ALL of my deep relationships are with boys bar one (and my sister of course). I have 4 that I would class as deep - including my boyfriend; one I used to date, one is just a friend, and the third... well we sort of had one date but then he confided he was in emotional distress about many things in his life and suffering from depression and felt he couldn't carry on, so I decided to change roles and be the most caring friend I could be.

I think I develop deep friendships very well and very frequently because I love to listen to people, and I am genuinely interested in them - will ask more questions, develop the conversation - I love to find out what makes people tick... who they really are - I don't think that's a common trait these days. The word seems to be full of brief encounters and people concentrating only on their own path and happiness, people don't genuinely seem interested in others unless it is for their own gain... and that makes me sad.

I think our friendship became deep because He was going through some stuff- some of which I could identify with, some I just had to try and understand. He was tired of people not listening to him, or giving unhelpful suggestions, people judging him because of the depression and feeling like people didn't like him because of it. If he is unsure, he knows he can confide in me- and vice versa.
I told him I would listen to him any time, and rather than telling him to man up, I asked him WHY he felt that way, discussed life and its meanings with him, how he was feeling different and why, made him laugh with awkward anecdotes of my own.... basically showed him he is not alone, and he will always have a steady friend in me. We always start off talking in jokey ways, teasing one another, making jokes; but then we always have deep meaningful conversation - I think we became closer because we don't hold anything back. We tell one another the full story, share our problems and our triumphs, and support one another OR when needs be, tell one another when they are being silly - but always back it up with a reason. Nothing is ever irrational, its well thought through, guiding and said with kindness and respect. I love him very much, and I'm sure he knows I would do anything to help him should he ever needed it - he has also been there if I have ever needed anything too.

Spiritual? Yes, definitely. We talk about all aspects of the world and beliefs, it crops up again from time to time.

Did it happen by chance? most definitely. We had been at the same tiny campus at uni for years and never known one another existed until one night we went out with our tutor group and we had a chat - Initially I think we were just both really attracted to one another; as I said we had a date or two -but then he had to end things because of his problems; he needed me as a friend at that point more than a girlfriend.
And you know what? It was one of the best things that happened to me in my life at University - not only had I met someone I truly connected with on all levels - I feel like I have found one of the few people I could be good friends with for a very long time. He is feeling and coping so much better these days and Im so unspeakably proud of him - he, more than most people I know really deserves happiness -and I cannot wait to see his life pann out into the fantastic future he deserves :smile:
Reply 7
To me as a guy I can only have that deep friendship with a girl and then it always turns into relationship. I become dependent on that person in many ways. When the relationship ends I feel crippled and need a replacement ASAP just to be able to carry on. Also if I can't have that deep friendship with a girl Im with I get bored after a few months.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I could only classify one of my friendships as a "deep friendship". I think it's a lot easier than just having normal friends that aren't close because it means I can tell her absolutely anything and she'll understand. If she doesn't agree, she says so and it never comes across as offensive. We spent a lot of our lessons together and then got each other's Skype and it mostly just escalated from there.

I don't think I've ever had a "deep friendship" in a romantic relationship (since I've never had one) so it's definitely possible outside of romance.

I don't think it has a "spiritual edge" to it in the way that we share a religious belief or something... :laugh: but we debate a lot about philosophy and religion :')
Reply 9
Original post by Future African game vet
Hi :smile:

Deep friendships are my favourite - and seeming speciality at times....
Im a girl - ALL of my deep relationships are with boys bar one (and my sister of course). I have 4 that I would class as deep - including my boyfriend; one I used to date, one is just a friend, and the third... well we sort of had one date but then he confided he was in emotional distress about many things in his life and suffering from depression and felt he couldn't carry on, so I decided to change roles and be the most caring friend I could be.

I think I develop deep friendships very well and very frequently because I love to listen to people, and I am genuinely interested in them - will ask more questions, develop the conversation - I love to find out what makes people tick... who they really are - I don't think that's a common trait these days. The word seems to be full of brief encounters and people concentrating only on their own path and happiness, people don't genuinely seem interested in others unless it is for their own gain... and that makes me sad.

I think our friendship became deep because He was going through some stuff- some of which I could identify with, some I just had to try and understand. He was tired of people not listening to him, or giving unhelpful suggestions, people judging him because of the depression and feeling like people didn't like him because of it. If he is unsure, he knows he can confide in me- and vice versa.
I told him I would listen to him any time, and rather than telling him to man up, I asked him WHY he felt that way, discussed life and its meanings with him, how he was feeling different and why, made him laugh with awkward anecdotes of my own.... basically showed him he is not alone, and he will always have a steady friend in me. We always start off talking in jokey ways, teasing one another, making jokes; but then we always have deep meaningful conversation - I think we became closer because we don't hold anything back. We tell one another the full story, share our problems and our triumphs, and support one another OR when needs be, tell one another when they are being silly - but always back it up with a reason. Nothing is ever irrational, its well thought through, guiding and said with kindness and respect. I love him very much, and I'm sure he knows I would do anything to help him should he ever needed it - he has also been there if I have ever needed anything too.

Spiritual? Yes, definitely. We talk about all aspects of the world and beliefs, it crops up again from time to time.

Did it happen by chance? most definitely. We had been at the same tiny campus at uni for years and never known one another existed until one night we went out with our tutor group and we had a chat - Initially I think we were just both really attracted to one another; as I said we had a date or two -but then he had to end things because of his problems; he needed me as a friend at that point more than a girlfriend.
And you know what? It was one of the best things that happened to me in my life at University - not only had I met someone I truly connected with on all levels - I feel like I have found one of the few people I could be good friends with for a very long time. He is feeling and coping so much better these days and Im so unspeakably proud of him - he, more than most people I know really deserves happiness -and I cannot wait to see his life pann out into the fantastic future he deserves :smile:

Wow, this brought legitimate tears to my eyes. What you described is exactly what I've always wanted. You even mentioned that the guy has depression, which is something that I can relate to. Unfortunately, I have never had such a friendship.
Make yourself vulnerable....

Share secrets, dreams and passions.
Original post by kimolozen
Make yourself vulnerable....

Share secrets, dreams and passions.

Trust me, it doesn't work. I have tried quite a few times...
Original post by Summerdays
Wow, this brought legitimate tears to my eyes. What you described is exactly what I've always wanted. You even mentioned that the guy has depression, which is something that I can relate to. Unfortunately, I have never had such a friendship.

a, well he best advice i can give is talk to people show them you are interested and care- people love to talk about themselves, and if you show that you will listen, they are going to listen back too (hopefully) - being genuine and caring opens a world of doors, and windows into the souls of many x
Original post by shawn_o1
Yeah I know nothing of that sort.

I think those with close friends wouldn't be on an internet forum, they'd be talking to/having fun with their friends right this moment. (Or be asleep now)

Not necessarily. Their friends might be far away at the moment so they may be talking to them on the internet. Plus even if people are close that doesn't mean they hang with them 24/7, alone time is important too. Just because someone uses the internet doesn't mean they don't have good friends. They may do. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending