The Student Room Group

Is 'sewer rat' a racial slur?

Today I was referred to as "the sewer rat's and that slag's brat"

Well the slag bit was just random comment about my mum, I guess, but was the sewer rat bit suppose to be a racial slur?

My new neighbour's don't seem to be very nice people. Hehe :redface:

I checked wikipedia but it's not listed a slur and I was just curious....
It's an insult but I doubt it's racial
It's not racial, if anything it's classist - basically calling someone a sewer rat is a derogatory remark suggesting they're of very low stature and worth as much as a rat
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
It's not racial, if anything it's classist - basically calling someone a sewer rat is a derogatory remark suggesting they're of very low stature and worth as much as a rat

Exactly this.
Every insult directed towards ethnic minorities is racial these days, get over yourself.

My stepmum once said "You're the son of a goat" she didn't realise that my dad is her husband. LOL
Sewer rat probably isn't racial, given I can't even tell which race it's supposed to be racist towards. :tongue:
Reply 6
Aye alright. I was just wondering because of whether it could be one. This coupled with some other stuff they have said just made me wonder. I've come across the term in a novel. A book about British colonialism so I just wondered.
Reply 7
Original post by Black Cat
Every insult directed towards ethnic minorities is racial these days, get over yourself.

My stepmum once said "You're the son of a goat" she didn't realise that my dad is her husband. LOL

No need to be rude. I'm not up myself. I was merely wondering because they have said some other stuff that could be seen as a bit racist plus being half and half I have experienced some rude comments before even.

Wasn't making a big deal hence the anonymous posting about the incident on here....
It might be that TSR is making me paranoid :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by MidnightDream
It's an insult but I doubt it's racial

Original post by WannabeEconomist
Exactly this.

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

Ok. Thanks. That makes it (slightly) better :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending