The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Any more comments? If not, Nightowl or I will add a poll.
Reply 21
Apollo
Any more comments? If not, Nightowl or I will add a poll.

Whatever happened to the comments/suggestions I made now? What do we do about them?
Reply 22
I do apologise Nutter I didn't see them

Nutter
We would like the text of this draft resolution to be amended to specifically mention how exactly the Secretary General or UNGA is expected to monitor the movement of representatives, and the time that a representative switches countries, since this can be quite confusing with many other matters to look into.

Yes this was always going to be difficult, the group monitor thing doesn't give any "date joined", but then I thought since we started this "We welcome blah blah blah our new representative for blah blah blah" in the Welcome threads, we could use that as our record for the DOA (Date of Arrival, not Dead on Arrival) As for changing countries, I think we also announce them somewhere in the Welcome threads.

Australia also wishes to define explicitly the term "month" as 30 days, because this can be interpreted as 31 (or even 28 days) by other member countries.

I'll change it as soon as I've posted this.

Furthermore, we stress there must be a MINIMUM of 30 complete days, and not even an hour less, for this resolution to be honoured.

Not so sure about this, I mean if there is a good representative whose being going for 28 days and a major position opens up, he won't be able to nominate himself because it isn't 30 complete days - perhaps we could allow a "buffer zone" of some sort of about 4 or 5 days so they can nominate themselves, as long as the predicted date of appointment is within the 30 day limit.
Reply 23
I have made appropriate adjustments - any comments?
Reply 24
Nightowl
I do apologise Nutter I didn't see them
Not a problem.
Yes this was always going to be difficult, the group monitor thing doesn't give any "date joined", but then I thought since we started this "We welcome blah blah blah our new representative for blah blah blah" in the Welcome threads, we could use that as our record for the DOA (Date of Arrival, not Dead on Arrival) As for changing countries, I think we also announce them somewhere in the Welcome threads.
I understand what you mean, but it may get disorganised, and it would be quite a hassle to search through the Welcome threads for such indications of when a member assumed a particular position. May I suggest the setting up of an official registry in the Welcome thread that would list the precise dates that every single current ambassador assumed his position? The SG could update this on announcing the result of an election and/or approving a user's membership of the group. Furthermore, we would have convenient reference to check whether we qualify to run for a position or not.
I'll change it as soon as I've posted this.

Thank you.
Not so sure about this, I mean if there is a good representative whose being going for 28 days and a major position opens up, he won't be able to nominate himself because it isn't 30 complete days - perhaps we could allow a "buffer zone" of some sort of about 4 or 5 days so they can nominate themselves, as long as the predicted date of appointment is within the 30 day limit.
We have no problems whatsoever with that, as long as there is some sort of precise standardisation and no ambiguity or subjectivity involved.
Reply 25
Nutter
Not a problem.
I understand what you mean, but it may get disorganised, and it would be quite a hassle to search through the Welcome threads for such indications of when a member assumed a particular position. May I suggest the setting up of an official registry in the Welcome thread that would list the precise dates that every single current ambassador assumed his position? The SG could update this on announcing the result of an election and/or approving a user's membership of the group. Furthermore, we would have convenient reference to check whether we qualify to run for a position or not.

I have no problems with that.

We have no problems whatsoever with that, as long as there is some sort of precise standardisation and no ambiguity or subjectivity involved.

I have included a precise time frame so it can't be misunderstood, the expected Date of completed election can be based on times set in the charter.
Reply 26
Vote!
Reply 27
Denmark urges all members to vote FOR this resolution as its is vital for the survival and functioning of this MUN.
Reply 28
So just to clarify (and this should really be made clear in the resolution): This resolution would apply to all CURRENT members of the (permanent and non-permanent) members of the UNSC, correct?

Once that's cleared up, Australia will cast her vote.
Finland is in strong support of this resolution.
Reply 30
I object to point 6, but agree with the rest.

(just kidding :wink:)
Reply 31
Nutter
So just to clarify (and this should really be made clear in the resolution): This resolution would apply to all CURRENT members of the (permanent and non-permanent) members of the UNSC, correct?

Once that's cleared up, Australia will cast her vote.

Yes, and I apologise in advance to Apollo for all the work I just created :biggrin:
Reply 32
Nightowl
Yes, and I apologise in advance to Apollo for all the work I just created :biggrin:

Good. Australia fully supports this resolution.

EDIT: The poll seems to have closed already and we feel that we were not given ample time to cast our vote after the clarification was made. Australia would appreciate it if the SG would allow us to cast our vote in favour of this resolution, for we do not want to be seen as skiving from our voting duties.
Reply 33
Added another day :smile:
Reply 34
Apollo
Added another day :smile:

Australia thanks the Secretary General for his understanding and cooperation. :smile:
Reply 35
:yy: On to the SC now.
Reply 36
Turnout 10, getting better :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending