The Student Room Group

What to put in a homemade weight gainer shake without using protein powder?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry cucumber
Then yes, eat a calorific surplus and eat enough protein.

There's some crazy levels of protein recommended on this forum - papers suggest 0.8g/lb of bw, whilst most genuine strength and conditioning coaches will recommend 1-1.5g/kg of bw. If you're in tight financial times get your calories from carbs for the most part as they're cheap as. Eating excessive protein is just expensive carbs through gluconeogenesis.

Interestingly I was having a convo on fb with a very knowledgable person on the subject (shout out to my man Greg) who via the book the protein delusion suggests eating 120g ish of protein is enough for you to gain all kinds of muscle. (Guys on roids did it - 13lb of muscle in 10 weeks - all kinds of gains)

But to start with stick with my first paragraph.

Thanks for the advice. Rep

EDIT: Limit reached, damn
Original post by eagleclawsan
Right well you're quite a bit heavier than me. I'm 60kg, which is light. I'm toned because of the exercise I do but don't really see gains. Surely I don't have to eat that much. I mean, I am looking to get bigger but not like a body builder...

Sorry to say it, but that's just how it works. If you're really as slim as I think you are, you're literally just not eating enough. I've got a really slow metabolism anyway; you need more food.

Try the increased food and protein intake for like a month and you'll definitely get bigger.

If you wanted to look like a bodybuilder it's more like eat 12 eggs.
Original post by ttankzhang
Sorry to say it, but that's just how it works. If you're really as slim as I think you are, you're literally just not eating enough. I've got a really slow metabolism anyway; you need more food.

Try the increased food and protein intake for like a month and you'll definitely get bigger.

If you wanted to look like a bodybuilder it's more like eat 12 eggs.

Just incase you missed it I said I was 60kg (around 130lb). I'm 5ft 10, so you can understand why I want to build. How much could I potentially gain in two months (Muscle, not all fat)?
Original post by ttankzhang
Possibly less efficient for a slim person but pretty sure nitric surplus is the one which is absolutely crucial for gaining muscle, i.e. you probably gain muscle much quicker on a surplus of both but a calorific surplus and nitric deficit doesn't gain muscle. I've read a few experimental reports a while ago I'll try to find them.

Pretty sure we agree on the main point anyway. Eat more protein, eat more everything.

I'm sure nitric surplus/deficit is irrelevant, it's just amino acids/protein (which contain nitrogen). If you are weight training, you cause minor damage to muscle fibres and in order for these to repair you need to eat a good amount of protein which breaks down into amino acids which are used for growth and repair of muscle fibres. Nitrogen amount doesn't come into it. Otherwise, if that's true, consuming nitric oxide will help you build muscle, but it just improves your pump/vascularity.

If you can find them I'll be interested to have a look :tongue:
Okay let me clear this up. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I should have been more clear. Yes I want to gain weight but I also want my body to look good (muscly/toned).

Toning is a stupid term, sorry just have to say that :biggrin:. You want to put on muscle mass essentially.

Three key things for that (Before I started weight training I was skinny so trust me on this :wink:):

1 Weight training (get a routine and train hard)
2 Enough rest (8+ hours sleep a night)
3 Nutrition

As you are slim you should aim for a calorific surplus of 300-500 to gain weight at a better rate. Protein is very important for building muscle so aim for 1.5g to 2g per kg of bodyweight. Get that from protein shakes, meats, eggs, lentils, quorn or whatever tickles your fancy. Fill in the rest of your calories with carbs and fat. Ideally go for complex carbs like brown bread, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, quinoa and healthy fats from sources such as avocados, nuts.
Just incase you missed it I said I was 60kg (around 130lb). I'm 5ft 10, so you can understand why I want to build. How much could I potentially gain in two months (Muscle, not all fat)?

Not a lot. Lifting is a journey which takes years.
Original post by h3isenberg
I'm sure nitric surplus/deficit is irrelevant, it's just amino acids/protein (which contain nitrogen). If you are weight training, you cause minor damage to muscle fibres and in order for these to repair you need to eat a good amount of protein which breaks down into amino acids which are used for growth and repair of muscle fibres. Nitrogen amount doesn't come into it. Otherwise, if that's true, consuming nitric oxide will help you build muscle, but it just improves your pump/vascularity.

If you can find them I'll be interested to have a look :tongue:

I'll have a look for it, but don't know if it's free online I read it using the Cambridge Uni archive.

By nitric surplus I just mean positive nitrogen balance; whenever you break muscle fibres you'll excrete nitrogen and only if you take in more than you've used up will you be able to repair the muscle to it's previous state, let alone grow on top of that; it's pretty intuitive.

Don't think that's how nitric acid works, it doesn't contribute to nitrogen balance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by N44STR
you won't put on any muscle mass without sufficient protein, peanut butter wont cut it. You need to put more protein in it. Put loads of nuts, liquid egg whites, chicken breasts, tuna and anything else with PROTEIN in

sorry to butt in but most peanut butters (96%peanut, even the cheap ones) contain 26g of protein per 100g, whereas most chicken and other meats contain no more than 27g (usually). Sardines are 25g, salmon is even less. Eggs are 13g per 100g, as are brazil nuts. So really, peanut butter is a very good thing to be eating.
Reply 28
Original post by louieee
sorry to butt in but most peanut butters (96%peanut, even the cheap ones) contain 26g of protein per 100g, whereas most chicken and other meats contain no more than 27g (usually). Sardines are 25g, salmon is even less. Eggs are 13g per 100g, as are brazil nuts. So really, peanut butter is a very good thing to be eating.

but eating 100g of peanut butter would be incredibly difficult compared to eating 100g of chicken.

you also need to take into consideration the sat fat content of any nut butter or nuts in general
Original post by N44STR
but eating 100g of peanut butter would be incredibly difficult compared to eating 100g of chicken.

you also need to take into consideration the sat fat content of any nut butter or nuts in general

yeah, unless OP were to blend it with banana, oats and milk...
Reply 30
Original post by louieee
yeah, unless OP were to blend it with banana, oats and milk...

so you're suggesting to put in the region of 8 tablespoon of peanut butter to get 25g of protein?

not only is that going to get very expensive, very quickly, but it's also very unhealthy
Original post by louieee

Yes but 50g of fat per 100g of peanut butter. Even if you're dirty bulking that is loads. It doesn't really go with much apart from bread so you'd get quite sick of it.

You're better off with lean meats as a main protein source, and you can incorporate them into lots of meals. For example, canned tuna has 25g protein per 100g and almost no carbs or fat.
Original post by N44STR
so you're suggesting to put in the region of 8 tablespoon of peanut butter to get 25g of protein?

not only is that going to get very expensive, very quickly, but it's also very unhealthy

peanut butter is actually really cheap, I regularly get one for 90p for 700g with 98%peanuts and some honey. With each tub lasting at the most ten days, I'd say it's really quite easy to get the 26g of protein/day. Even easier with putting it in smoothies, which I rarely do.

Yes but 50g of fat per 100g of peanut butter. Even if you're dirty bulking that is loads. It doesn't really go with much apart from bread so you'd get quite sick of it.

You're better off with lean meats as a main protein source, and you can incorporate them into lots of meals. For example, canned tuna has 25g protein per 100g and almost no carbs or fat.

I don't mean to be niggley but I think peanut butter can be eaten with loads of stuff, e.g. smoothies (a lot of online recipes to back this up), also https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfWbQ9H28oxBdI5tPNjXBTp54IRbPUjk4TXSbX9By8zvdV4q4G

however, yeah I agree the fat is ridiculously high and that'd be my only reason for not eating much. However, a little bit every day won't do much harm if he watches the rest of his diet. Probably wouldn't eat it twice in one day though on a sandwich
Hi,

To keep it short I'm not really willing to pay for protein powder. So what could I use instead or should I just use one of the ones on youtube but just without the powder?

I was thinking banana, peanut butter, oats and whole milk. Is that enough?
(I'm a slim person gaining weight, I need around 2700 - 3000 calories a day according to some weight maintenance calculator)

Thanks

Add some nuts and whole eggs to that. That should be enough calories and protein assuming you're getting a few meals in their too.
Toning is a stupid term, sorry just have to say that :biggrin:. You want to put on muscle mass essentially.

Three key things for that (Before I started weight training I was skinny so trust me on this :wink:):

1 Weight training (get a routine and train hard)
2 Enough rest (8+ hours sleep a night)
3 Nutrition

As you are slim you should aim for a calorific surplus of 300-500 to gain weight at a better rate. Protein is very important for building muscle so aim for 1.5g to 2g per kg of bodyweight. Get that from protein shakes, meats, eggs, lentils, quorn or whatever tickles your fancy. Fill in the rest of your calories with carbs and fat. Ideally go for complex carbs like brown bread, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, quinoa and healthy fats from sources such as avocados, nuts.

Thanks a lot :smile:

Original post by TSA
Add some nuts and whole eggs to that. That should be enough calories and protein assuming you're getting a few meals in their too.

Yeah I shall pick up some nuts, need some for snacks anyways. Cheers :smile:
So can someone here give me a typical schedule of one of your days. e.g. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner etc?

I want to see what kind of meals you guys eat.
I eat 100g of PB a day so I get 1) 600cals 2) some protein

I know I am eating 50g fat, but there I get my fat macros as well.

I don't care about fat intake because I'm trying to gain weight to aid muscle growth.
Original post by tehforum
Cheap protein - a tub of cottage cheese.

50-60p, 25-30g protein

no, id go with box of eggs
Original post by Meenglishnogood
no, id go with box of eggs

er no
eggs require cooking and more effort to eat

cottage cheese takes 1-2 min to eat.
Original post by tehforum
er no
eggs require cooking and more effort to eat

cottage cheese takes 1-2 min to eat.

you can drink 4 raw eggs in a glass taking 60-90 seconds