The Student Room Group

Everyone in the UAE, Muslim or not, to be subject to sharia law

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Is this News? Or just my fantasy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, what's that supposed to mean?
Reply 41
Original post by miavdbt
Except that isn't the case. The UAE doesn't follow Sharia Law that strictly.
I feel like even if this is true (and we're yet to see a source), it will just be putting an official stamp on something that has always been happening.

Non married couples are already not allowed to share rooms, and even married couples are not allowed to show any public displays of affection.

The UAE is not a dry state, except one of its Emirates, Sharjah, and it's unlikely that it will become a dry state as Dubai lives off the West and wouldn't risk losing tourists and western investment.

Women aren't forced to cover up anyway, even the Muslim ones. It's only the ones that choose to or are forced to cover up by their family. However, the law itself does not place those kinds of restrictions on Muslim women, let alone Western women. The way Western women dress in Dubai is the way any woman would dress in Europe, there are no such restrictions.

Sharia Law has always been the official law in the UAE, this will not change. However, the way it is interpreted and applied is not as strict as other Sharia law countries. So, in essence, this is not 'news'.

Well if this story is genuine it obviously suggests tightening of laws. Non married couples are allowed to share rooms, particularly in the western chain hotels like Marriott and Hilton. Where are you basing your information on what women can wear from? I know a girl who lives in Abu Dhabi and she said in quite a few areas women can't really wear what they want and she once got called a whore for hugging her dad, not really a tolerant and relaxed attitude

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't support Sharia but it's their country respect their laws. If you don't like UAE you can geeeeeeeet out.
#sharia4syria
What is this foolishness that if you don't like a country's laws you don't have to go there? That's like saying "Oh, I don't like that slavery going on over there, I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut". Yeah let us leave others to suffer without even a rational thought about it. It's not our problem is it?

Fools.
Original post by Muppet Science
I only see that as an explanation and not a defence; if you are going to be patronizingly rude then at least do not be hypocritical.

You didn't answer my question.

Also, give me eleven distinct reasons not to be hypocritical.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Wade-
Well if this story is genuine it obviously suggests tightening of laws. Non married couples are allowed to share rooms, particularly in the western chain hotels like Marriott and Hilton. Where are you basing your information on what women can wear from? I know a girl who lives in Abu Dhabi and she said in quite a few areas women can't really wear what they want and she once got called a whore for hugging her dad, not really a tolerant and relaxed attitude

Posted from TSR Mobile

I lived in Abu Dhabi for three years and in Dubai for four. I'm basing my information on personal experience with being a woman and living there. You're actually not allowed to share rooms legally, but sure they share rooms, the hotel management just ignores it because they don't want to lose on profit. However, people who have rented apartments together and are not married have got caught in the past, and gotten in trouble. Things are easier on tourists.

Anyway, both in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, I've always worn what I wanted. A lot of women walk into malls in shorts and strapless tops regardless of the conservative wear signs. I have personally not witnessed anyone getting in trouble for something like this.

The attitude is not relaxed. You're not allowed to show any public displays of affection, it's a muslim country and they're very conservative. Less so in Dubai than Abu Dhabi. As a result, the people are also conservative.

Anyway, we're yet to see a source suggesting that the story is 'genuine'.
I think it's ridiculous that you can't show affection. Like someone else said, it means that you can't hug your children and grandparents unless behind close doors. It's idiotic, and I bet you those in power are sleeping with as many women as they want.

Religion needs to die.
Reply 48
Original post by TheFuture001
I think it's ridiculous that you can't show affection. Like someone else said, it means that you can't hug your children and grandparents unless behind close doors. It's idiotic, and I bet you those in power are sleeping with as many women as they want.

Religion needs to die.

Well don't visit dubai then.
Stupid sharia law.
Reply 50
Original post by vader9280
Why don't you piss off back to whichever islamic ****hole you came from then? Your medieval ideology doesn't fit here in the west.

And why don't the westerners piss off to their immoral western societies? I was in Dubai recently and I saw a lot of westerners. The western philosophy of gay marriage and abortion and sex and drugs don't fit in our Islamic society so what the hell are you guys doing there?
What is this foolishness that if you don't like a country's laws you don't have to go there? That's like saying "Oh, I don't like that slavery going on over there, I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut". Yeah let us leave others to suffer without even a rational thought about it. It's not our problem is it?

Fools.

True, but it's also like going to someone's house and then complaining about the layout of their kitchen because you don't like it. It's their country, so if most people are happy, then so be it. People have different opinions and experiences, so how do you know that people in the UAE aren't in favour of Sharia law? I personally am not in favour of it, but then again, I wasn't brought up in a Islamic country.
Reply 52
Sharia is one law that will exterminate all those hippies who have this constant "My life My decision I'm free I want to be liberated" notion.
Sharia law is UAE? lmao

I wonder if they know what sharia law is
Shai law is an oxymoron, it's barbarism and is a poo stain on the civilised world.
Original post by Roger1
Well don't visit dubai then.

Mate, I ain't gonna visit Dubai. I still wish to express my opinion though and that I will. I sympathise with those citizens living in Dubai, and who have to endure such restricting laws, and it is for them I write my posts. They likely are unable to protest or speak against the lands law, therefore I will speak for them.

Original post by Procrastin8R
True, but it's also like going to someone's house and then complaining about the layout of their kitchen because you don't like it. It's their country, so if most people are happy, then so be it. People have different opinions and experiences, so how do you know that people in the UAE aren't in favour of Sharia law? I personally am not in favour of it, but then again, I wasn't brought up in a Islamic country.

No. It's like going to someone's house and then complaining that they stabbed you for walking on the carpet with your shoes on. Who said most are happy? People just get on with it, because it is easier that way.

I'm telling you, none of the members of the government obey these rules. They enjoy controlling their citizens in sick ways.
Tbh I dont see how Sharia law is any less civilised than a Friday night in Oldham, Leicester or Portsmouth. If I went to Saudi or someplace I would love to get kitted out in all that desert garb, gulp down some shisha and flog bitches that wont behave.
Reply 57
Mate, I ain't gonna visit Dubai. I still wish to express my opinion though and that I will. I sympathise with those citizens living in Dubai, and who have to endure such restricting laws, and it is for them I write my posts. They likely are unable to protest or speak against the lands law, therefore I will speak for them.

Like those citizens of Dubai actually care what some westerner has to say on the internet. They are Muslims who will probably support the Sharia Law anyway.
Reply 58
Original post by miavdbt
I lived in Abu Dhabi for three years and in Dubai for four. I'm basing my information on personal experience with being a woman and living there. You're actually not allowed to share rooms legally, but sure they share rooms, the hotel management just ignores it because they don't want to lose on profit. However, people who have rented apartments together and are not married have got caught in the past, and gotten in trouble. Things are easier on tourists.

Anyway, both in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, I've always worn what I wanted. A lot of women walk into malls in shorts and strapless tops regardless of the conservative wear signs. I have personally not witnessed anyone getting in trouble for something like this.

The attitude is not relaxed. You're not allowed to show any public displays of affection, it's a muslim country and they're very conservative. Less so in Dubai than Abu Dhabi. As a result, the people are also conservative.

Anyway, we're yet to see a source suggesting that the story is 'genuine'.

The girl I know said the tourist areas are usually ok it's when you get away from those you get very heavily judged based on your appearance. Yeah I doubt this story is true as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. It's like going to someone's house and then complaining that they stabbed you for walking on the carpet with your shoes on. Who said most are happy? People just get on with it, because it is easier that way.

I'm telling you, none of the members of the government obey these rules. They enjoy controlling their citizens in sick ways.

No it's not though. How is this law affecting you in any way? No-one's forcing you to go there, heck, no-one's even invited you to go, so it's like complaining about something you think is bad in a stranger's house, when you don't even know for sure whether he likes it or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending