The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any ideas on how we will line up v mk dons?
Lol at all these supporters of other clubs making sweeping grandiose projections like "I think top 4 is out of your reach". Pathetic. Come back at the end of next season and we will see where we are.
Original post by jam278
You lot are a genuine superpower. Which is what I feared that FFP will do. Enhance the status quo. Overpaid for players though. I think Herrera will become a good buy in the future.

FFP massively benefits us and a couple other teams. I don't really understand why so many people were for FFP. It stops any up and coming team really improving. If they get bought out by any rich investors, they still can't spend all that much.

I get the fact that a lot of people don't like to see a club spend millions upon millions in a few years, but then how does anybody really improve? You have to spend a lot or you don't have a chance. You can only get so far before your whole team gets picked apart. Southampton being a good example.

I'm happy with Herrera. His first game for us in pre-season was amazing. He hasn't played close to as good as that since then, but I'm sure he will become consistently good. If we buy him a good partner, he'll be fine.

Original post by Old_Simon
Lol at all these supporters of other clubs making sweeping grandiose projections like "I think top 4 is out of your reach". Pathetic. Come back at the end of next season and we will see where we are.

The first month is all that matters, apparently. Even before the window has closed. It's way too early to make any predictions.
(edited 9 years ago)

This season lol. Don't see why you're getting mad. Even with all these signings they need to gel which will take some time.

Next season I said you'll win the title though.

United fans are no different to be fair, every fanbase is the same like that.
Original post by NathanW18
FPP massively benefits us a couple other teams. I don't really understand why so many people were for FFP. It stops any up and coming team really improving. If they get bought out by any rich investors, they still can't spend all that much.

I get the fact that a lot of people don't like to see a club spend millions upon millions in a few years, but then how does anybody really improve? You have to spend a lot or you don't have a chance. You can only get so far before your whole team gets picked apart. Southampton being a good example.

Exactly why I was against FFP.

I guess Chelsea can increase their revenues. Quick check on the forbes list shows that United are worth almost £2B, compare to Chelsea who are worth just under 1B. You get double the amount on Matchday, broadcasting and commercial while over 3 times as much as Chelsea in brand. Your revenue is also 100M more than Chelsea's. Don't know too much about these terms but it all suggests that United have more spending power than Chelsea if you don't include outside influences.

I think a reason to introduce FFP was to stop inflation, but then that holds no weight when the two teams most responsible for inflation the past few years have been teams that are pretty much exempt from FFP(Madrid and United). I do think United will build a team, try and win a few titles with it and neglect it again so the Glazers can pocket the money. Unless the owners are in it for the team that's what will happen for the meanwhile. Maybe Malcolm Glazers death could lead to a different approach to United.
Original post by samir12
United fans are no different to be fair, every fanbase is the same like that.

Heck no. I do not go in the Everton forum and start telling them what they can / can't / might / won't do this season. We all know where United is right now. Let's be cool and see how it pans out. Fans from other clubs dissing us though I can do without lol.
Heck no. I do not go in the Everton forum and start telling them what they can / can't / might / won't do this season. We all know where United is right now. Let's be cool and see how it pans out. Fans from other clubs dissing us though I can do without lol.

You don't but other fans do. Lets face it, non-United fans (especially Liverpool fans) have been waiting years for United to get into a state where they can diss them.
(edited 9 years ago)
I expect Di Ma7ia to be holding up the #7 shirt by this evening
Original post by h3isenberg
Even I know that Ashley Cole cleared that ball to Torres. Some Chelsea fan you are :rolleyes:

****ing hell, that looked like Bosingwa because of the way he kicked it looooool. Ashley Cole normally doesn't kick a ball with his right foot now, but call me a "fake fan" now :rolleyes:
Any ideas for tonight? I can't see Van Gaal going completely for reserves/second team players.
Original post by jam278
Pretty scared for United in the future. I don't think you'll get top 4 this season but you have money to keep your players and to buy more. If you get top 4 or even worse the title. You lot will dominate English football worse than last time as you have the revenues and an empty bank cheque.

Chelsea are trying to be financially astute which we're doing but United currently have a blank cheque. You'd think that United could have genuinely afforded Gareth Bale last season and bought him looking at Moyes.

You lot are a genuine superpower. Which is what I feared that FFP will do. Enhance the status quo. Overpaid for players though. I think Herrera will become a good buy in the future.

There's no need to spend £150m every summer...add one or two players every season and everything will be fine. Chelsea really don't need to spend that much money, until the time comes when we need another massive overhaul. But we should a few titles and hopefully a CL by then.
Ogden says we'll adopt 4-3-3 with a fully fit squad and Mata would be the main casualty. This is what our team would look like, going by what he says:

De Gea
Rafael, Evans, Rojo, Shaw
Herrera, Rooney (advanced), Carrick (hopefully not)
Di Maria, RVP, Januzaj

Also, Benatia is going to Bayern for only £19m + £5m add ons :colone:
Original post by AnharM
There's no need to spend £150m every summer...add one or two players every season and everything will be fine. Chelsea really don't need to spend that much money, until the time comes when we need another massive overhaul. But we should a few titles and hopefully a CL by then.

Yes, but if United get good ahead of schedule(e.g. win title this season) then they'll have 100M to spend each summer, we cannot compete with that at this moment in time. They're a superpower like Madrid and Barca and with what they were doing before hand with that ****ty 2010-13 team, imagine what they'd do with a WC team.

Chelsea do have a good chance of winning things the next few years. Honestly think City will decline in the next 2/3 years as Toure is getting on, same with Silva and Kompany.
I reckon that Benatia was the first choice CB and that Rojo was second choice. It's no surprise that suddenly Benatia deal is falling through that Rojo is bought. Versatility thing doesn't matter as Shaw would supposedly be getting a lot of games when fit anyway and LB isn't that important a position to fill as you can just play 3atb and use a winger there. Rojo was probably second choice.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have been wondering what LVG thinks about Mata. He seems to think he is our best #10 at the moment but is he really top notch ?
Disconnect Between the Lines
Two games is a small sample size and Manchester United have been bogged down by injury issues along the way, but the 3-4-1-2 system Van Gaal has in place is not looking fantastic so far.No matter the system or structure, a team should always space out equally between the lines—that is, the gaps between defence, midfield and attack should largely be equal—and if it doesn't, it hinders progression.United spread width-ways superbly despite playing a wrong-footed wing-back in Ashley Young, but most importantly the vertical balance is off.

@stighefootball
Possible Man Utd XI vs. MK Dons.

Wayne Rooney and partner have been isolated so far, stranded atop the formation. Rooney often dashes back to find the ball, but he enters a clogged zone in which Juan Mata is already struggling to find space.
We saw it with the Dutch at the FIFA World Cup 2014 too, with ArjenRobben's excellence, pace and drive the only thing truly linking Daley Blind's section of the formation to Robin van Persie.
There's a focus on possession football here, with United averaging 57.3 percent of the ball over two games (per WhoScored.com), but this formation and setup found glory—despite its gaps—as a counterattacking unit in Brazil.

Defensive Frailties
The three centre-backs don't look particularly comfortable on the ball in a three-man set, spreading into what they may feel is "unnatural" areas to play football (in the channels). They're also not communicating as to who plays the stopper against loose balls, with two sometimes entering the same zone to clear the same ball.
The loss of Jonny Evans has been central to their struggles, with young Tyler Blackett filling in adequately and passing calmly, but looking a little weak in the defensive phase.
Phil Jones has been the driving force from deep, stepping out in possession and moving the football. For that to be the case, it means no one else is taking on the responsibility—and ideally it should be the outside centre-backs (Blackett and Chris Smalling), not the central one, in order to open passing lanes and drag midfields out of position.

No Thrust
The loss of Luke Shaw for a month prior to the season was a concern, but not a big, big blow in many supporters' eyes.
Unfortunately, with no other left-wing-back around to carry the load, one of the central figures in Van Gaal's 3-4-1-2 dropped out and missed the first few important weeks of settling and gelling.
Ahead of the season we previewed Shaw's role, looking at how his hard running and physical style on the ground is key to moving United up the field and into crossing range.

VK (RUS)

With no wingers in the formation it's hard to find advanced width without a proper wing-back, but it's also hard to gain ground too. United, right now, are one-dimensional; they move the ball centrally through the (disjointed) lines and try to find Rooney's feet.
Mata is marked, Rooney is followed and the other striker gets attended to too. This is opening up the wide areas in advanced zones, but they have no one to shuttle forward and breach the space.
Shaw is perfect, he's a real hustler and aggressor surging forward, but Young is a) right-footed playing on the left and b) exceptionally weak on the ball. The former Southampton man cannot return quick enough.

Thoughts on this? Sourced from Bleacher Report.

Original post by Manchester United
Just to let you know, I'm considering quitting this forum (I have another account for other purposes). It isn't what it used to be.

I tired that, one does get emotionally attached. People need to stop feeding the trolls. The only Chelsea fan that regularly posts in here worth a conversation is Jam, a few of the others (Anhar and Assassin) are just trolls.

The 'Troll Formula' is very simple, if you fill the following two criteria, you're a troll:
1) You spend more time talking about other teams than your own.
2) 75% of them posts are negative criticising that team.

Hence, the gentleman fits the bill.

Original post by samba
I thought the prerequisite for that was a brain?

World class. Great comment.

Original post by jam278
Pretty scared for United in the future. I don't think you'll get top 4 this season but you have money to keep your players and to buy more. If you get top 4 or even worse the title. You lot will dominate English football worse than last time as you have the revenues and an empty bank cheque.

Chelsea are trying to be financially astute which we're doing but United currently have a blank cheque. You'd think that United could have genuinely afforded Gareth Bale last season and bought him looking at Moyes.

Interesting views Jammy. Hope you're right. I make no apology for supporting FFP if it only benefits us in the league. I'll do whatever it takes to get above Liverpool and Manchester City. Ideally we'd be allowed to negotiate our own television deal worldwide, which some analysts say would be worth more than all our rivals deals put together.

Hopefully the Glazers **** off in the next few years, finance can change pretty quickly.

Just an example of what a poor window it has been for us. If he's going for 24, why not just bid 34? They'd sell to us and he'd be good value for that as a top 7 CB in the world. Di Maria alone means nothing, we need two defensive minded players this week.

Original post by Amphiprion

Think everyone singing Woodward's praises is being very generous.

This is just fantastic. Absolute nail on the head, the type of bloke I'd want in the board room with me. How ****ing hard can it be? Ring up Blind, get it done, should take 4-5 hours maximum, then ring up Vidal, get him in, De Jong as well. If one of their knees go, we can just get Strootman in January.

It's a piss poor squad, the worst I've ever seen. Woodward has hung us out to dry this window, these deals should have been done weeks ago. Hang on a minute, I'll just go outside and take Manchester United fans off the washing line after Ed Woodward hung us out to dry. This isn't 2009/2010, WE CAN COMPETE WITH MANCHESTER CITY AND CHELSEA FINANCIALLY.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have been wondering what LVG thinks about Mata. He seems to think he is our best #10 at the moment but is he really top notch ?

He is our best no 10 but the midfielders behind him are letting him down aswell as the wing backs leaving the only possible way for him to start attacks is through himself,RVP and Rooney(who is at some point dropping deep therefore limiting his options)

To be honest with you everyone hasnt been top notch and we need to improve,we need to get a win here(if possible we need to demolish MK Dons which will provide a few smiles and motivate the lads on the pitch).

Latest