The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kutta
Not in terms of facing players with quick feet and acceleration :smile:

Btw you didn't do a analysis of my football analysis :wink:

Also guys how official is the Mehdi Benatia deal? In terms of being reliable? I'm not in the UK atm but is it breaking on SSN or is it just on the Transfer board presented by tools ol Dharmesh :smile:

Tbf he struggled immensely with Sterling and Suarez last season so I can see your point of view. Aguero probably rapes him. Tbh the best strikers/forwards in the world generally have quick feet and acceleration. I think he'll do better vs an Ibra.

Apparently it's broke on Sky news. So should be on today.
Yeah, Sky Sports are saying we're close to agreeing a fee. He's going to travel to Manchester for talks. Hopefully Sky Sports aren't just kicking us while we're down.
Reply 1582
Fellani
Sorry if this point has already been made but who was ball-watching instead of actually man-marking at the second goal?
It seems nothing has been learned by him or more importantly the management ... or maybe they simply have no choice?
Fellaini lol

This guy man, why on Earth did Moyes buy him?

£27m you know? Just let that sink in.

It's like he just can't play football.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and is good to his mother but please, this cannot continue!
Original post by Aky786UK
David Moyes' first interview since leaving towards the end of last season.

Pretty much what I'd expect him to say but implicitly, he admits that he didn't adapt to managing United compared to Everton when he talks about how he wanted to be the same etc.

Interestingly enough, if you look at the pictures and the one of Fergie at Chelsea, look who is sat in front of him...I just noticed that now and I'm sure I've seen that picture before!

He's a nice guy Moyes, and I wish him well for the future.

This just wasn't the right job for him. You can tell when he says he wanted to do things similar to at Everton. It's a much bigger club with much higher expectations.

And transfers, he didn't get it right, between him and Woodward they messed up.

Everything seems to be about time with Moyes. I just haven't the patience. We'd won the league before and I wanted a trophy last season. He was absolutely awful for us, but unless Van Gaal signs minimum 3, but ideally 4-5 new players all world class, it won't get better.
Original post by Eboracum
He's a nice guy Moyes, and I wish him well for the future.

This just wasn't the right job for him. You can tell when he says he wanted to do things similar to at Everton. It's a much bigger club with much higher expectations.

And transfers, he didn't get it right, between him and Woodward they messed up.

Everything seems to be about time with Moyes. I just haven't the patience. We'd won the league before and I wanted a trophy last season. He was absolutely awful for us, but unless Van Gaal signs minimum 3, but ideally 4-5 new players all world class, it won't get better.

Yeah 3 players needed at a WC level. Can't win a thing with that current defence tbh. LVG knows where the squad needs improvement tbf but I don't see why you didn't try harder to keep Vidic.

Also tbf top 3/4 and trophy last season wasn't too out of order personally.
Couple of points.

1) Firstly, I think as someone else mentioned previously, we clearly have a psychologist issue at old Trafford. This needs to be addressed asap. We looked like Moyes team out there, almost like we stepped on the pitch yesterday and remembered who we were last season. I'm confident Van Gaal is better than anyone to get into the players minds and to change this. It won't happen over night, might take a little while before we're playing great football there. Need to scrape the wins there in the mean time, and signings will help that.

2) Which is point two. As we have all discussed, our season hinges on the next two weeks. We can have a horror start and win 1 our of first 5 games, then go on a 10 game winning streak. But if we haven't bought players by Sept 1st the window is shut and there's **** all we can do about it. Everyone questions the Glazers will to spend, and Woodwards ability to get deals done. I, being a positive person, believe there are things going on behind the scenes and LVG genuinely wanted to wait until after our tour.

Whatever the reason we haven't strengthened up until now, we need a couple of defenders, and a CM by 1st Sept or I honestly think we're in big trouble. There is only so much LVG can do with what he's got. Benatia and Rojo secured before Sunderland would be a great start and lift. I dread to think what would happen if we came up against City with this current squad. I think we need someone dynamic, a Di Maria (we'd all love it of course) but the defence and CM have to take priority, and I can't see us buying more than 2-3 players.

3) Moyes needs to stop whining, yes you should have heard before the press you were sacked but to say you weren't given time to succeed or fail is ridiculous. If 1st to 7th isn't a failure, Chris I'd hate to see what is.

4) Finally, as I mentioned before, I'm not letting one bad performance at home yesterday (explained my reasons why, combination of psychological + lack of new additions) let these ridiculous comments about our players get me. Yes we need a few world class additions as midfield and defence too week. BUT we have Mata, Rooney, RVP, Shaw, Herrera, DDG, Januzaj. We do not need 6 new players in, the squad just needs a much better core. A world class CB, CM, attacking player and the starting XI is transformed. Who knows if we can pull any of it off before Sept 1st. But fail to get CL again and the Glazers will have to be very very worried for their cash cow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
Yeah 3 players needed at a WC level. Can't win a thing with that current defence tbh. LVG knows where the squad needs improvement tbf but I don't see why you didn't try harder to keep Vidic.

Also tbf top 3/4 and trophy last season wasn't too out of order personally.

That's the key point. You can't win games on fear factor or stature. You have to put good players out. To be honest this is the worst United squad I've known for some time. Our midfield and defence is just dreadful, and it's due to 3-4 years of really poor transfers.

I've never known a top club struggle with transfers like we do. It should be a quick and easy process. Until 3-4 world class players arrive nothing will happen. All these players we are linked with, there must be something in them, it's not just a journalist in a room making it up, but yet they never materialise.

I just think the decision making and Ed Woodward's ability to perform is frighteningly bad.

Exactly. It's not unreasonable to say to Moyes you've got the squad that finished first, and you've got 30M to get a good midfielder, now go and finish in the top 3 and win a cup. He didn't show enough to deserve a second season. 3rd and a cup is quite a bad season for us, but because of the last year how we'd all take it now.

Must be great being a Chelsea fan Jam, you get deals done easily.
If Sporting want Nani or Anderson on loan in the deal for Rojo we should let them have one. **** it, hand both of them over.
At the very most, we'll sign Rojo and Blind.

I fully don't expect Vidal and these Benatia rumours that seem to be what's in fashion these days... What because Jim White said so? Who's his source? Where's he getting this from?

Why is he dropping that on his twitter then not going into more detail.

I could do that, I could say we're gonna sign Messi according to my sources. I know he's got a good track record. But come on, if we're basing all of our hopes on what he says then wow...

Original post by h3isenberg
If Sporting want Nani or Anderson on loan in the deal for Rojo we should let them have one. **** it, hand both of them over.

You think Nani would happily go play in the Portuguese League?
Original post by zKlown
At the very most, we'll sign Rojo and Blind.

I fully don't expect Vidal and these Benatia rumours that seem to be what's in fashion these days... What because Jim White said so? Who's his source? Where's he getting this from?

Why is he dropping that on his twitter then not going into more detail.

I could do that, I could say we're gonna sign Messi according to my sources. I know he's got a good track record. But come on, if we're basing all of our hopes on what he says then wow...

You think Nani would happily go play in the Portuguese League?

Well the Benatia story is being reported on Sky Sports News itself now so there must be some substance behind it. They say he's coming to England for talks. Just hope that's not for Arsenal or Chelsea too :colone:

For a season long loan at the same wages for first team football, I think he'd be open to it. Especially when LvG doesn't rate him.
Apparently Benatia going to Bayern now. Even SSN chatting **** now. Couldn't write it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eboracum
I'm surprised Woodward is even married.

Best quote ever in this thread?
Original post by Manchester United
It's as if SAF put a spell on OT...

New stadium anyone?

I actually read in the Guardian at one point a while back that the Glazers considered selling the stadium and then the club, cutting their losses. Could you imagine?

Even if they just sold the name rights, turn Old Trafford into the ****ing Umbro arena with Oreo, Coke, Walkers and the Pringles stands.
Guardiola said Bayern weren't buying anyone else a few days ago. Javi Martinez gets ACL tear 2 days ago and Guardiola says they need to sign a player. In 2 days Bayern are apparently close to signing Benatia.

We're going to look like an absolute joke if he ends up at Bayern.

**** this ****
Lol if Benatia goes to Bayern. Can't think of many other WC defenders on offer atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Benatia to Bayern? Great signing for them if true.
Original post by h3isenberg
Guardiola said Bayern weren't buying anyone else a few days ago. Javi Martinez gets ACL tear 2 days ago and Guardiola says they need to sign a player. In 2 days Bayern are apparently close to signing Benatia.

We're going to look like an absolute joke if he ends up at Bayern.

**** this ****

Bayern are still a CM short and Swine's Tiger is injured. Imagine if they signed Vidal as well :laugh:

I'm starting to believe that the club stopped caring about signing new players as soon as the season tickets were sold out. We're Arsenal mk.II.
Original post by zKlown
Why are non-United fans arguing about Vincent Kompany in a United thread?

Shouldn't you be bantering us?

Yeah, okay. Here goes then. Why do people keep saying "United always go for British managers"? Seen it mentioned by Moyes and it is quite common amongst your fans. Have people forgotten Frank O'Farrell or something? Or are fans dumb enough to think Ireland is part of the UK?

Latest