The Student Room Group

Good hair dye brands?

In seeking to do something interesting with my otherwise-boring appearance, I've decided that I'd like to make a drastic change to my hair colour. While I haven't quite decided on the exact colour yet, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on good brands of dye to use.

In particular, my plan is to dye my hair pale blonde as a base colour (my natural colour is dark blonde, though I dyed it more of a medium blonde about a year ago to dip-dye it pink and have let it grow out from there) first of all, and then to "ruffle" the colour through it - think when Quinn on Glee went pink, but still had some of the blonde showing through her hair. At the moment, I'm considering using either pale lavender, a pale blue/teal or a darker purple/burgundy red colour, and would want to use semi-permanent to try it out before seriously committing to the brighter colour.

If anyone has any tips, or good brands of dye to use (either a permanent light blonde or semi-permanent colours), then please share them :smile:
For about four years now I've used schwarzkopf live color xxl to dye my hair purple, it always lasts me a fairly long time, and the colour it fades to is actually very nice too. I don't know if they do semi-permanent dyes as I have always used the permanent ones.
Original post by Caledonite
For about four years now I've used schwarzkopf live color xxl to dye my hair purple, it always lasts me a fairly long time, and the colour it fades to is actually very nice too. I don't know if they do semi-permanent dyes as I have always used the permanent ones.

I think they do, but the impression I get from the packet is that they're much brighter than the colour I'm hoping for. I have, however, seen their pale blonde dyes as well, which look pretty much what I'm looking for, even if I'm not sure which shade to go for! Planning on having a look when I go into town tomorrow to compare those. But glad to hear they're good :smile: Thank you!
Original post by clonedmemories
I think they do, but the impression I get from the packet is that they're much brighter than the colour I'm hoping for. I have, however, seen their pale blonde dyes as well, which look pretty much what I'm looking for, even if I'm not sure which shade to go for! Planning on having a look when I go into town tomorrow to compare those. But glad to hear they're good :smile: Thank you!

Ah right, yes they are pretty bright. I hope you get the look you're going for :smile: I always find it very nerve-wracking when I'm trying out something different with my hair hahaha
Original post by Caledonite
Ah right, yes they are pretty bright. I hope you get the look you're going for :smile: I always find it very nerve-wracking when I'm trying out something different with my hair hahaha

I know - hoping it won't take much trial and error to get it right! Thank you very much :smile:
Directions hair dye do a lot of different colours! and they're relatively cheap. I think they're semi-permanent as well so if you're not happy with the result, you aren't stuck with it! You can order them online(http://www.directionshaircolour.co.uk/) but I know a few independent stores (e.g. tattoo parlours) sometimes sell them too. Good luck!
Original post by vineyard13
Directions hair dye do a lot of different colours! and they're relatively cheap. I think they're semi-permanent as well so if you're not happy with the result, you aren't stuck with it! You can order them online(http://www.directionshaircolour.co.uk/) but I know a few independent stores (e.g. tattoo parlours) sometimes sell them too. Good luck!

Thank you! I used Directions when I dip-dyed my hair pink about a year ago and loved them, so have decided to go back this time on yours and many others' recommendations :smile: Lavender and lilac are both in the post!
So I've gotten myself a pre-lightening dye and my purple colours have arrived, but I've just had a look at reviews for the lightener I ended up choosing (Schwatzkopf Blonde Ultime LXX Extreme Lightener) and there seem to be a lot of negative ones out there. Does anyone have any experiences of this one in particular, or else any recommendations as to which might be good ones to use?
Original post by clonedmemories
Thank you! I used Directions when I dip-dyed my hair pink about a year ago and loved them, so have decided to go back this time on yours and many others' recommendations :smile: Lavender and lilac are both in the post!

I also love directions! I didn't lighten my hair and I have dark(ish) blonde hair and used the tulip. Ended up doing to school with the inner part of my hair the brightest pink I have ever seen! aha. Teachers weren't too pleased... couldn't blame them! I have also used midnight. I have only ever dyed the inside on my hair though, it looks best on me.

Quick Reply

Latest