The Student Room Group

Does Chlorine Change Natural Hair Colour

Hi All,

I'm going to be swimming on holiday for the first time since I was 9 years old which is over 15 years ago.

I'm worried that Chlorine from the swimming pool will change the colour of my hair.

Should I be worried?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Can you guys also recommend some good ear plugs for swimming please?

Have had an ear injury in past so want to make sure no water gets in.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi All,

I'm going to be swimming on holiday for the first time since I was 9 years old which is over 15 years ago.

I'm worried that Chlorine from the swimming pool will change the colour of my hair.

Should I be worried?

Thank you.

It depends. How much swimming will you be doing? What colour is your hair at the moment?

A good few years ago my family and I went on holiday and had a swimming pool at the place we were staying; my sister (who was extremely blonde at the time) ended up with slightly green-tinted hair by the end of it, but this was after spending quite a lot of time in the pool, probably twice a day most days. However her hair turned back to normal colour reasonably quickly!
Also if you think about people who do a lot of swim training there aren't too many people who have green hair from all that swimming.

I'm not an expert or anything, but I should think that if you wear a swimming cap, and wash your hair after swimming, you should be alright. There are a bunch of sites online with various tips, just a quick Google search away :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by bl0bf1sh
It depends. How much swimming will you be doing? What colour is your hair at the moment?

A good few years ago my family and I went on holiday and had a swimming pool at the place we were staying; my sister (who was extremely blonde at the time) ended up with slightly green-tinted hair by the end of it, but this was after spending quite a lot of time in the pool, probably twice a day most days. However her hair turned back to normal colour reasonably quickly!
Also if you think about people who do a lot of swim training there aren't too many people who have green hair from all that swimming.

I'm not an expert or anything, but I should think that if you wear a swimming cap, and wash your hair after swimming, you should be alright. There are a bunch of sites online with various tips, just a quick Google search away :smile:

Probably less than half a day in the pool. My hair is naturally black.

When you say wash your hair, do you mean with just water?

I have looked online as well, and one of the recommendation is oil your hair before going in the pool. I've also considered swimming caps but never really found them comfortable when i used them as kid as they seem to pull on my hair.
Unless you've dyed your hair it won't change the colour. If it is dyed then as noted you can get a greenish appearance with some colours apparently. It's specifically because the chlorine reacts with the dye used to colour the hair. It has no effect on natural, non-dyed hair.
Original post by Anonymous
My hair is naturally black.

It'll have no impact on colour.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Unless you've dyed your hair it won't change the colour. If it is dyed then as noted you can get a greenish appearance with some colours apparently. It's specifically because the chlorine reacts with the dye used to colour the hair. It has no effect on natural, non-dyed hair.

Original post by 1582
It'll have no impact on colour.

ahh thanks a lot for clarifying.

I was under the impression that it would change natural hair colour.

Thanks again!
Reply 7
The pool won't, but the sun will!

Sun always makes your hair go blonder
Reply 8
I don't think so, I heard about the hydrogen, but not about the chlorine.
Peroxide is what bleaches your hair and it's ridiculous you can't just go in a chemist and buy a bottle of the cheap plain stuff for that and many other uses.

The selection of earplugs in normal shops is rubbish. If you see ones like these you should feel them to check if they're soft enough.

Quick Reply

Latest