The Student Room Group

English vs psychology

Hey Guys,

Im an A - level student going into my second year. I just recieved my results today:

Geography: A
Religious Studies (philosophy and ethics): A
English Lit: B
Biology: B

I am stuck on whether I should apply for English Literature or Psychology. I love English because I love literature and love reading books. I also think I will love Psychology because learning about the brain; how it works and behaviour really fascinate me. The only problem is I dont know what to choose. I dont want to do a joint degree so can anyone give me any advice on which one is better and which one will give me better opportunities in the future.

Can you tell me what I will roughly learn in both subjects (I know it changes for each uni but the overviews on their websites are vague)

I would really appreciate any help because I'm so confused and I need to start writing my personal statement soon.

Thank you so much!
:smile: :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HelpMePlease17
Hey Guys,

Im an A - level student going into my second year. I just recieved my results today:

Geography: A
Religious Studies (philosophy and ethics): A
English Lit: B
Biology: B

I am stuck on whether I should apply for English Literature or Psychology. I love English because I love literature and love reading books. I also think I will love Psychology because learning about the brain; how it works and behaviour really fascinate me. The only problem is I dont know what to choose. I dont want to do a joint degree so can anyone give me any advice on which one is better and which one will give me better opportunities in the future.

Can you tell me what I will roughly learn in both subjects (I know it changes for each uni but the overviews on their websites are vague)

I would really appreciate any help because I'm so confused and I need to start writing my personal statement soon.

Thank you so much!
:smile: :smile:

I'm not going to tell you what you learn in Lit, because I could be here for yonks. That's your research job when you research your course on UCAS.

From what it sounds like, you like both subjects dearly. Which means, you should apply for a joints honours? Then if you don't like either subject, you can always transfer to a singles degree.

If not, you have 5 choices on UCAS, you can apply for perhaps 3 joints and then 1 English Lit and the other Psychology.
I was in the same position. After visiting a load of Unis at both their Psychology and Literature departments, I decided on Psychology, simply because I got the feeling that I'd probably enjoy it more.

Also, I found it hard to find any joint hons Psychology and English, especially at Universities that I'd consider going to. Saying that, you can always choose your degree, and then do modules from the other subject, although I'm not too sure how that works
Original post by JoshNicolini
I was in the same position. After visiting a load of Unis at both their Psychology and Literature departments, I decided on Psychology, simply because I got the feeling that I'd probably enjoy it more.

Also, I found it hard to find any joint hons Psychology and English, especially at Universities that I'd consider going to. Saying that, you can always choose your degree, and then do modules from the other subject, although I'm not too sure how that works

Hey, yeah joint degrees are really hard to find and i cant find any good unis that do it,
Can you tell me what uni you go to and what their course is like? :smile:
Also, i think im set on doing psychology so what would i need to do for my personal statement - like should i read books about psychology?

Thank You
Hey, yeah joint degrees are really hard to find and i cant find any good unis that do it,
Can you tell me what uni you go to and what their course is like? :smile:
Also, i think im set on doing psychology so what would i need to do for my personal statement - like should i read books about psychology?

Thank You

I'm starting at Warwick this September, so I can't tell you how good the course is yet, although I hope it's pretty darn good :tongue:

In my personal statement I mentioned the fact that I did Maths and English, giving me a balance between essay skills and numerical skills, and the fact that having a part time job gives me experience in balancing my work and social lives. Apparently Unis also like you to mention why you want to study the degree, and what you plan on doing with it once you achieve it. I also slipped in a bit of Psychology, mentioning Bandura, and how Social Learning Theory can be applied (I can't exactly remember that part, I'm afraid, haha!)

I hadn't actually done any outside reading up to that point, but I'm pretty sure it won't hurt your application. Good luck!
I'm starting at Warwick this September, so I can't tell you how good the course is yet, although I hope it's pretty darn good :tongue:

In my personal statement I mentioned the fact that I did Maths and English, giving me a balance between essay skills and numerical skills, and the fact that having a part time job gives me experience in balancing my work and social lives. Apparently Unis also like you to mention why you want to study the degree, and what you plan on doing with it once you achieve it. I also slipped in a bit of Psychology, mentioning Bandura, and how Social Learning Theory can be applied (I can't exactly remember that part, I'm afraid, haha!)

I hadn't actually done any outside reading up to that point, but I'm pretty sure it won't hurt your application. Good luck!

OMMG!! Im thinking of going to Warwick! Its such a great uni!
Also, thank you for your help :smile:
Can i ask you questions about the course a month or so after you start?
(btw what did you achieve at A level if you dont mind me asking?)

Thanks again :smile:
Yeah sure, go for it! And I got A*AB, in Psychology, Literature and Maths. Didn't see that coming at all!
Yeah sure, go for it! And I got A*AB, in Psychology, Literature and Maths. Didn't see that coming at all!

Wow, thats amazing! congratulation!
What was your placement offer?
I got AABB and im keeping the ABB. My teachers being a real dick, he wont predict me higher than a B for biology and expects me to resit two units of bio :/
Im unsure about the other subjects but im a little worried i wont meet their entry requirements :frown:
I got offered AAB from ABB predictions, so not too bad :tongue: and I resat a paper and went from a middle C to a high A, so worth it! Although I wouldn't want to resist too many, as they may start to distract you from your A2s!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exeter and Liverpool would both allow you to study them as a combined honours if you decide you'd like to do both :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Exeter and Liverpool would both allow you to study them as a combined honours if you decide you'd like to do both :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ooh thank you :smile:
I'm still unsure if a joint degree is for me but deffo up for psychology.

what do you study? :smile:
ooh thank you :smile:
I'm still unsure if a joint degree is for me but deffo up for psychology.

what do you study? :smile:

No problem! :smile: that's understandable :yep:

I'm starting a degree in Biological Sciences and History in a couple of weeks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
No problem! :smile: that's understandable :yep:

I'm starting a degree in Biological Sciences and History in a couple of weeks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow thats amazing! I didnt know you could do a course with both of them together because they are so different.
What university are you attending? :smile:
I got offered AAB from ABB predictions, so not too bad :tongue: and I resat a paper and went from a middle C to a high A, so worth it! Although I wouldn't want to resist too many, as they may start to distract you from your A2s!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, thats great! you must have worked so hard.
yeah I'm only going to resit one module for biology and nothing for my other subjects because otherwise I'll be too stressed.
My predictions are also AAB. Although I'm not happy, I think I can apply to a few good unis but probably not the best :frown:
I will still apply for Warwick and Kings but not UCL or Oxbridge because they need AAA at least.

Thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending