The Student Room Group

Rhul vs Surrey psychology open day

Heyy I’ve gotten into both rhul and Surrey to study psychology but I haven’t got the chance to visit both of them on the applicant day as they are the same day. I’m leaning towards visiting Surrey so i want to know if anyone is visiting rhul so I can know how it went. Thank you xx
Original post by psychologyl0ver
Heyy I’ve gotten into both rhul and Surrey to study psychology but I haven’t got the chance to visit both of them on the applicant day as they are the same day. I’m leaning towards visiting Surrey so i want to know if anyone is visiting rhul so I can know how it went. Thank you xx
Hi there,

It's great to hear you're considering studying Psychology at Royal Holloway. You can find out more about our course here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/undergraduate/psychology/psychology/ including the entry requirements and course content. Our department is among the best-equipped psychology departments in the country where post- and undergraduates may benefit from the department's advanced technology. You’ll study in a department ranked 3rd in the UK for research (THE, REF Institutions ranked by subject, 2022), learning with academics who are experts in their fields, and contributing your own findings to this leading research culture with a final year research project.

If you can't make our Applicant Visit Day - don't worry! There are other opportunities to find out more about Royal Holloway, whether you’ve already visited for an Open Day or if it's your first time on campus. Come to our campus to view the fantastic facilities, see where you could be studying and living and find out more about what Royal Holloway has to offer. We run regular guided tours of our Egham campus, or if you can't make the dates, you're welcome to come along for a self-led tour: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/visit-royal-holloway/book-a-campus-tour/

Our campus is one of the most beautiful in the world with numerous teaching and study spaces, bars and cafés, high-quality accommodation, and sports facilities. Visit our campus and get a real feel for student life at one of our Open Days. You can find out more information on this page: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/visit-royal-holloway/open-days/.

We're also holding an Online Applicant Event in April, where you can join us for live, interactive sessions with an academic from your department of interest, a campus tour, live Q&As, and more.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Royal Holloway, University of London Rep
(edited 1 month ago)

I studied at Royal Holloway for my Psychology degree; knowing what I know about Royal Holloway, their Psychology Department, and some of the more senior professors’ poor attitudes towards their own students, I don’t feel I can recommend it. If you’d like to read more about my experience and my understanding of the place, you can read my insights in my recent post Challenging and Long-lasting Experience at Royal Holloway Psychology . In any case, if you do choose to go there, it’s strongly advisable to be alert.

I went to RHUL's open day and loved it! It's a small enough campus to feel home-ly and safe but has lots of room for students and was all green and lovely :smile:
Original post by RHULPsyGrad
I studied at Royal Holloway for my Psychology degree; knowing what I know about Royal Holloway, their Psychology Department, and some of the more senior professors’ poor attitudes towards their own students, I don’t feel I can recommend it. If you’d like to read more about my experience and my understanding of the place, you can read my insights in my recent post Challenging and Long-lasting Experience at Royal Holloway Psychology . In any case, if you do choose to go there, it’s strongly advisable to be alert.

I swear I've seen you post on every single RHUL psychology post omg
Original post by Froggo123
I swear I've seen you post on every single RHUL psychology post omg

That’s not true, and why wouldn’t I offer my insights to RHUL Psychology related posts since that is what I have experience with. After all, I spent three years of my prime youth time there and also had multiple interactions afterwards.

Indeed, the campus is green and nice, and it’s the pride of RH along with the Founder’s building that looks like a castle. I’ve seen some people say things along the lines of the university looking like Hogwarts and “who wouldn’t like to study at Hogwarts?”. Having studied a Psychology degree there, I think it’s quite a stretch to say that. Also, most of your lectures/seminars/workshops will be in the new buildings, not in the Founder’s building.

The campus may be beautiful, however their educational system is not that supportive of students. I was shocked and disappointed when I realised there was an unspoken staff-vs-students attitude there, especially among the staff that have been there for longer periods of time, which became obvious to me through their actions, and later on through their direct words.

Also, the university has fallen in ranks from around the place 100 to around 350 in a few years time, under the management of the same people. What does that mean? The answer is evident.

I think the best part of RH is their campus and it’s a shame all the other important things are not as good as their campus.
Original post by RHULPsyGrad
That’s not true, and why wouldn’t I offer my insights to RHUL Psychology related posts since that is what I have experience with. After all, I spent three years of my prime youth time there and also had multiple interactions afterwards.

Indeed, the campus is green and nice, and it’s the pride of RH along with the Founder’s building that looks like a castle. I’ve seen some people say things along the lines of the university looking like Hogwarts and “who wouldn’t like to study at Hogwarts?”. Having studied a Psychology degree there, I think it’s quite a stretch to say that. Also, most of your lectures/seminars/workshops will be in the new buildings, not in the Founder’s building.

The campus may be beautiful, however their educational system is not that supportive of students. I was shocked and disappointed when I realised there was an unspoken staff-vs-students attitude there, especially among the staff that have been there for longer periods of time, which became obvious to me through their actions, and later on through their direct words.

Also, the university has fallen in ranks from around the place 100 to around 350 in a few years time, under the management of the same people. What does that mean? The answer is evident.

I think the best part of RH is their campus and it’s a shame all the other important things are not as good as their campus.
Can I ask what made you feel there was a "student Vs staff" attitude? Genuinely curious lol
I only know the experience of my older sibling lol which was positive
I went to RHUL's open day and loved it! It's a small enough campus to feel home-ly and safe but has lots of room for students and was all green and lovely :smile:
I’m glad to heart that! Were there any psychology talks?
I’m glad to heart that! Were there any psychology talks?

There were! The lecture hall was quite nice, very room-y and the prof that gave the talk seemed nice though honestly it was quite a while ago now (I went in summer time) so I cant remember many specifics! But that's more bc of my bad memory than anything else
There were! The lecture hall was quite nice, very room-y and the prof that gave the talk seemed nice though honestly it was quite a while ago now (I went in summer time) so I cant remember many specifics! But that's more bc of my bad memory than anything else
That seems great!! Thank you sm <33
Hi there!

I'm happy to hear you're visiting Surrey =) I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Our campus is truly beautiful and I immediately felt at home here, with many buildings to study in or just relax. The campus is also centrally located in Guildford, so it's a 10-min walk from the main train station, which can get you to London in 30 min.

Congrats on your offers, and I wish you all the best with your decision.

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest