The Student Room Group

Is Jeremy Clarkson right to downgrade the importance of A-levels?

Is Jeremy right to say it "isn't the end of the world". How much do they matter in 2014?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Of course they are important, but it isn't the end of the world if you get bad results. Good results are of course better than bad results, but you can still be successful with poor results if you try.

https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/499876794364092416
Reply 2
I think the message he is trying to get across is that you don't need to take an exam to achieve greatness.

That said, he's an annoying racist bigot. So...
He is absolutely right. The hysteria surrounding results day is just ludicrous.
For direct work, they aren't. Only for degrees.
Reply 5
Its true getting bad A level results is not the end of the road. I just dont like his comments about having a mercedes benz... Will deter some from working hard as they think they can be successful without hard work...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got BCC.

Sixth form was generally a really **** experience for me.

Wasn't even trying to get into a top uni so didn't really care other than wanting to do the best I could.

You can't blame the students though. They live in this moronic bubble where the only thing that measures your worth as a human being is the ability to regurgitate information on a piece of paper. When that is all you know it is understandable when people get stressed. I can remember a girl in a chemistry class randomly bursting into tears :s-smilie:

Then you hear all this crap about how they are getting easier. How the fact that students getting higher grades couldn't possible be a good thing. Hearing how 'maths is to easy now' from idiots that can't even add up is bloody annoying. Being told A-levels are so much easier than they used to be when you are having to work hard just to get C grades is very demotivating.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
I think the message he is trying to get across is that you don't need to take an exam to achieve greatness.

That said, he's an annoying racist bigot. So...

Yeah, tbh same I don't like him... but there is more to life than exams... and ALOT of famous people have gone their own route..
Well it isn't the end of the world.
He's absolutely right. People just jump all over him because he's Jeremy Clarkson, one of the few honest men on TV.
Reply 10
Original post by elmosandy
Yeah, tbh same I don't like him... but there is more to life than exams... and ALOT of famous people have gone their own route..

No disagreement from me!
Since Jeremy Clarkson hasn't got any kind of credentials or expertise in the field of secondary education, whilst he's certainly entitled to his own opinions, what he says doesn't really have any kind of gravity in the debate. He's making a very simple statement about a very complex issue.
Original post by Genocidal
He's absolutely right. People just jump all over him because he's Jeremy Clarkson, one of the few honest men on TV.

Just because someone is honest doesn't mean I have to like them.

(although I am somewhat confused as to whether I like Clarkson or not :tongue:)
Original post by Chlorophile
Since Jeremy Clarkson hasn't got any kind of credentials or expertise in the field of secondary education, whilst he's certainly entitled to his own opinions, what he says doesn't really have any kind of gravity in the debate. He's making a very simple statement about a very complex issue.

He has however spent his life driving fast cars (something he enjoys) and got paid a **** tonne of money for doing it. All on the back of not very impressive A-levels. He is pretty much an example of why not having good A-levels doesn't mean you will be doomed and is thus kind of relevant.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
He has however spent his life driving fast cars (something he enjoys) and got paid a **** tonne of money for doing it. All on the back of not very impressive A-levels. He is pretty much an example of why not having good A-levels doesn't mean you will be doomed and is thus kind of relevant.

Firstly, I wouldn't really use Jeremy Clarkson as a role-model for people.

Secondly, of course you don't need good A-Levels to get satisfaction from life. Most people aren't going to become academics - that's not a big surprise. But to make a big sweeping statement that this is true for all people is absurd. For the people that do want to get into the top universities and follow that route, they are very important.
Firstly, I wouldn't really use Jeremy Clarkson as a role-model for people.

Secondly, of course you don't need good A-Levels to get satisfaction from life. Most people aren't going to become academics - that's not a big surprise. But to make a big sweeping statement that this is true for all people is absurd. For the people that do want to get into the top universities and follow that route, they are very important.

Well it's not even true about being an academic. There is no reason you can;t get **** A-levels, do a foundation year, get good degree, do phd, become an academic.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Well it's not even true about being an academic. There is no reason you can;t get **** A-levels, do a foundation year, get good degree, do phd, become an academic.

Fine, but I don't think most people are going to be particularly enthusiastic about the prospect of having to do a foundation degree.
Fine, but I don't think most people are going to be particularly enthusiastic about the prospect of having to do a foundation degree.

That doesn't matter. People still do it, catch up and get good degrees with the option of post grad to them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Should we not downgrade the importance of Jeremy Clarkson? Ignore him and not report his views for a year? Cancel Top Gear?
I think his comments were fine, I don't see how anyone could disagree with them. He's just saying that getting bad A Levels does not necessarily mean that you cannot achieve great things, IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending