The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Current Internet Situation

So today I met my offer, and found out I will be joining everyone this September.

Just have a quick question for anyone who studied at Streatham last year:

My current job is based online, and (for at least part of the next academic year) I wish to keep it going at Exeter, as a secondary source of income etc.

The work involves downloading files (not huge quantities, but speed is quite important at times), and also uploading ones to websites such as YouTube (again, not painfully slowly). A large portion of it also related to games - playing a wide variety online via Steam is rather necessary.

So basically, a few questions:

-How good is the internet? like MB/s upload, MB/s download...

-I recall seeing on an open day, that you could pay for internet upgrades; anyone know what these are, whether they live up to what they say on paper, etc?

-Is anything outright blocked when it comes to Steam games, and such? (Saw a thread from years ago where people could play WoW but not much else :frown: )

Cheers guys, just don't want to bring all of my kit for it to be mainly useless/have less time to arrange something with work right now/etc :/
Reply 1
Hi jabezs,

I'm currently in Exeter, and I stay in Duryard Halls.

The free internet service (Studentcom) provides for speeds of 20mbps. I actually do get around these speeds around the day, and I mean both upload and download. I play on Steam, Origin and League quite a fair amount, and i'm glad that there are no problems playing these games. The latency in most connections are very low. LoL average - 20, TF2 -25

I can't speak, however, for other halls and whether upgrades actually increase internet speeds. Another point to note is that I use a wired connection; I play games very often, and I can't be bothered with wifi.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
That's reassuring to hear that the base speeds are quite decent (In Duryard anyways). Also hearing that Steam/Origin/etc are fine is good too.

Yeah, if wired is an option (I think all on-campus rooms have a slot? Remember reading in a leaflet or something) then I'll most surely grab it :smile:

Cheers for the response lad, hopefully we can get some TF2 down one day haha.

If anyone else knows anything about the upgrades/etc though, please respond :smile:

But aye, cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending