The Student Room Group

Is A2 Chemistry necessary for a Biology degree?

Hi! I really want to do Biology at uni, but after receiving my AS results yesterday...

Geography - A, 97%
Biology - A, 91%
French - A, 80%
Chemistry - C, 67%

...I'm not sure if I should continue with Chemistry or not? I would really rather not as it's my least favourite subject and I really struggle with it, but I don't know if not having it at A2 will put me at a disadvantage when applying.
Any advice would be great, thanks!
Reply 1
It would be highly advisable to do a full A Level in Chemistry.
Depends which university you are applying to, but quite often they seem to prefer chemistry over biology! (Not suggesting you drop biology, obviously). The only reason I kept chemistry to A2 was for pernickity unis that could see it as a disadvantage if you drop it... You can always call/email/ask on open days at your chosen unis.
Original post by shonamurray
Hi! I really want to do Biology at uni, but after receiving my AS results yesterday...

Geography - A, 97%
Biology - A, 91%
French - A, 80%
Chemistry - C, 67%

...I'm not sure if I should continue with Chemistry or not? I would really rather not as it's my least favourite subject and I really struggle with it, but I don't know if not having it at A2 will put me at a disadvantage when applying.
Any advice would be great, thanks!

It would be good but it's not essential, you might struggle with some things
Reply 4
take a look at the universities you want to apply to and see whether or not they want you to have a full chem a level. Also look at their preferences, if chem is a preference then it is a good idea to take chem, but be prepared to work your butt off! :smile:

University permitting it would be best to drop chemistry and not risk getting a poorer overall grade. I think it would be difficult to get a good Chem grade, compared to the other subjects. Your a levels are very diverse and that can be a good thing, depending on how you preach that to the universities!

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Reply 5
I'm starting a biology degree next month and also dropped chemistry at AS as I got a C. It didn't effect my application as most unis accept geography as a second science, which you also have. Check out some of the websites :smile: In my opinion you'd be much better off doing geography and getting a good grade rather than chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest