The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Maths at Bath!

Hey,

I'm studying Maths in September and wanted to see if anyone else on here was doing the same?

Scroll to see replies

I am! I hope it won't be too hard
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by mrsiglesias
I am! I hope it won't be too hard

I don't suppose the start will be, especially having done further, I'd presume it'd just be bringing everyone up to speed :smile:
I am too! :smile:
Reply 4
What accomodation are you both in? :smile:
Original post by Dingo749

I haven't been told yet :redface:
I'm so confused, how do people know already when they said it should be out by the 5th of September? What about you?
Reply 6
Yeah I got told on Friday.

But I was sat there at 10am the day it opened ready to fill it in :')

I'm in Woodlands :smile:

I'm at the Quads (hopefully!) what a-levels did you guys do and what did you get? :smile:
I'm also doing maths!!! But I don't have accommodation yet...still need to apply :frown:
Reply 9
I'm doing maths too! Still waiting on my accommodation email though :frown:
Yes yes yes! Got accepted for MMath Mathematical Sciences (5 years with industrial placement) and I absolutely can't wait to start.

Still no idea what accommodation I have though.
Reply 11
Original post by mrsiglesias
I'm at the Quads (hopefully!) what a-levels did you guys do and what did you get? :smile:

Ive got a place in Woodlands, did Maths, Further Math, Chemistry, Physics, AS History and did STEP too :smile:

Got A*AAAb in the order as above :smile:
I don't suppose the start will be, especially having done further, I'd presume it'd just be bringing everyone up to speed :smile:

Hi guys congratulations on getting your places! Just thought I'd give you a heads up from what I found last year as a first year maths student at bath :smile:
Everyone has to have done further maths to apply, so they don't do any real catch up (if you haven't done fp3 then maybe have a look at bits if you have time), the support is brilliant though, workshops are well worth going too if you get stuck with anything, but as a general rule expect to be learning a lot of new stuff!
If you have any questions feel free to give me a shout!
(don't worry about work though, enjoy freshers first!)
Original post by beth-jane

How quickly is the further maths content covered?
Maths and Physics here

Should be staying in The Quads, but haven't had any info about accommodation since I applied a while back.
Hey I'm going into 4th year at Bath so let me know any questions!

In terms of how fast further maths is covered, before christmas you'll study 5 different modules at the same time. One of these is called Methods, which pretty much covers the further pure maths you need (calculus techniques and differential equation solving). There are two modules, algebra and analysis, which are there to introduce "proper" pure maths (haha) which means proofs and rigour about mathematical statements. So they treat theory of sets and functions, some basic number theory and group theory, limits and continuous functions, from a rigorous point of view. Modules differ depending exactly which course you're on but the other two modules may be probability, of which the content may be similar to a-level but again treated in a rigorous way, and discrete maths, which introduces algorithms and programming.

The main point of the first semester is to introduce a kind of new way of thinking about maths, so it may be going over familiar material in a new kind of way (ie proving all the statements made)
Reply 16
Yep, Maths here!

Got my accommodation contract through and I'm staying in the Quads, anybody else staying there?
Original post by Strangeways1339
discrete maths, which introduces algorithms and programming.

Does this cover any D1?
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Does this cover any D1?

It's been a while since I took D1 so I couldn't say exactly, but it's the same sort of stuff as D1. The algorithms include stuff like polynomial evaluation, types of sorting (mergesort, quicksort, insertsort), some of which might be in D1? It also covers some basic graph theory, and proofs by induction applied to stuff like fibonacci sequences. It also teaches programming in matlab.

Then in the second half of first year that module gets a bit more interesting with number theory, coding, cryptography and fast fourier transforms :smile:
I am :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest