The Student Room Group

What Does It Take To Acquire An PhD In Science?

Can someone with sufficient amount of knowledge on this topic tell me what are the requirements for an Ph.D? Thank you...
Reply 1
Original post by inachigeek21
Can someone with sufficient amount of knowledge on this topic tell me what are the requirements for an Ph.D? Thank you...

A degree and possibly a masters too.
Reply 2
a 2:1/1st honours degree and a summer/sandwich placement.
If you fail to get one or both of these then do a postgrad masters.
Reply 3
Original post by LSD
a 2:1/1st honours degree and a summer/sandwich placement.
If you fail to get one or both of these then do a postgrad masters.

Huh? How come you need a summer/sandwich placement? Does that allow you to skip a masters?
Reply 4
Original post by David B
Huh? How come you need a summer/sandwich placement? Does that allow you to skip a masters?

They bump you well ahead of the game - experience. I outcompeted several people with masters this year despite only being an undergrad because I could go into the interview and talk about all the experience i got during summer. Sandwich placements are a years more experience than other undergrads will have. If all you have is a BSc Hons with no experience then they're unlikely to even look at you - hence masters needed. They'd have ignored me otherwise, but having experience got me the interview and once in the interview it's easy to outcompete others if you prepare enough :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by LSD
They bump you well ahead of the game - experience. I outcompeted several people with masters this year despite only being an undergrad because I could go into the interview and talk about all the experience i got during summer. Sandwich placements are a years more experience than other undergrads will have. If all you have is a BSc Hons with no experience then they're unlikely to even look at you - hence masters needed. They'd have ignored me otherwise, but having experience got me the interview and once in the interview it's easy to outcompete others if you prepare enough :smile:

Are you currently working towards your PhD? I'm just about to start Computer Science with Study Abroad and I was really interested in doing a PhD eventually, so would I be able to go from my BSc straight to the PhD? Since I did a year abroad as part of my degree? But if I was able to do that I would feel that my knowledge going into it wouldn't be as good as someone who did a masters.
Reply 6
A 1st class BSc/MSc/BEng/MEng degree and a lot of theoretical understanding. If you want to do one at the university youre currently at then its best to ask various lecturers in your department about any possibilities. They might also know about opportunities at other universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending