The Student Room Group

Are Medicine, Dentistry and Vet Med the only courses that matter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shahbaz
You actually study matter in Physics ie Higgs Boson so its the only degree that matters!

You should be ashamed of yourself.
Reply 21
No they really don't ! Not all of us are cut off for medicine dentistry or vet it's just overrated. This is why the competition is so big .... There are people that get good grades in science and their first instinct is to go to medicine dentistry or vet and take the places for the people that have lower grades but they are really willing to do medicine dentistry or vet but they can't because other people came and took the places just because it's a good job and it pays very well... This is why you won't find all the time good doctors dentists or vets because they didn't wish this they were either made to do it by parents or just didn't know what they wanted to do with their life and had good grades ...

All courses matter when it's truly what you want to do. Life and world would be so much easier if people would actually follow their dream and stop looking for money more than their wishes ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Madeline_H95
What about those people who are fluent without having a degree in the language? I think this is similar to saying animators at Disney Pixar must have a degree in animation. It would be useful but some people do self-teach the software?

I don't think that you could get far in a career as an interpreter without formal credentials. I'm not an expert on this, but I'm not sure that being native in the languages would suffice. You would likely be out-competed by people who did have relevant degrees, even if they weren't a formal requirement.
Original post by TurboCretin
I don't think that you could get far in a career as an interpreter without formal credentials. I'm not an expert on this, but I'm not sure that being native in the languages would suffice. You would likely be out-competed by people who did have relevant degrees, even if they weren't a formal requirement.

I would be inclined to agree with you there but are we misinterpreting the question? I interpret the OP's question to mean STEM degrees present areas where only STEM graduates can go. STEM graduates can do everything but non-STEM degree graduates can't. Someone without a Medicine degree couldn't be a doctor but someone with a Medicine degree could be a lawayer, hence the OP's statement, law, as a non-STEM degree, doesn't matter.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Explain?
Original post by shahbaz
Explain?

no
Original post by Marky Mark
HELP.

:tongue:

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
no

You need to to turnup... Stop wasting my time.
I think most degrees matter but not stuff in trivial aspects such as Fashion or dance.. what a waste of time :P
I would be inclined to agree with you there but are we misinterpreting the question? I interpret the OP's question to mean STEM degrees present areas where only STEM graduates can go. STEM graduates can do everything but non-STEM degree graduates can't. Someone without a Medicine degree couldn't be a doctor but someone with a Medicine degree could be a lawayer, hence the OP's statement, law, as a non-STEM degree, doesn't matter.

I interpret the question the same way. If a language/translation degree is necessary to enter that field, then doesn't that create a niche that is beyond the reaches of STEM grads? It is an example of an area in which a STEM degree is insufficient to get you the job.
You would just learn french or some **** on the side, not that difficult and quite frankly a degree in Languages is pointless. It just means that you are incapable of learning it yourself.
I interpret the question the same way. If a language/translation degree is necessary to enter that field, then doesn't that create a niche that is beyond the reaches of STEM grads? It is an example of an area in which a STEM degree is insufficient to get you the job.

If that was the case yes but is a language or translation degree necessary to enter that field or is it only advantegous? If there's a half-French, half-English woman with a Biology degree who speaks both French and English fluently, I don't think she would be discounted in an application process for an interpreter job.

Original post by Charlizarddd
You would just learn french or some **** on the side, not that difficult and quite frankly a degree in Languages is pointless. It just means that you are incapable of learning it yourself.

Blunt but holds true :smile: You're going to start a big argument the moment a language students sees this *as I run to get the popcorn*
(edited 9 years ago)
That's exactly what I'm saying, there are a lot of degrees that are fabricated to make people feel that they are worth a degree that will stand alongside subjects such as BioSciences, Medicine, Law etc. When really translation degrees are only advantageous and in reality are not equal to hardcore subjects that require a lot of knowledge, skill and work. It sounds against equality or whatever but I'm afraid opinions aren't wrong and I bet there are loads of people who think that they should not be counted as equally as Degrees such as STEM subjects (and others).
I hope this made sense, I think I might be a little too tired to rant.
Reply 33
Original post by Marky Mark

homeless are you? :lol:

Mortgage free @ 28 actually... :wink:
If that was the case yes but is a language or translation degree necessary to enter that field or is it only advantegous? If there's a half-French, half-English woman with a Biology degree who speaks both French and English fluently, I don't think she would be discounted in an application process for an interpreter job.

Like I say, I don't know the field. That said, according to the National Careers Service a languages degree and postgrad in interpreting would usually be required.

Perhaps there's a qualitative difference here between arts and sciences fields. In arts, it is possible to acquire the necessary skills yourself and much of the time it may be possible in theory to get an arts-related job without the formal qualifications. However, if you wanted to make a career out of it, or to progress to any meaningful level in it, I would have thought you would need the qualifications.

To take your example, she may do well if the job is related in some way to her degree. Outside that, although she may not be discounted out of hand, that doesn't mean she'd get the job.
Oh really? So tell me that when a French Language degree and a Biological Sciences Degree is held next to each other, which one are you going to think is more intelligent? Because we all know it is not the Language Student. Job Worth means nothing because the majority of the time it depends upon the person themselves, I got a job at a Pharmaceutical company as a Junior researcher without a degree and I bet your ass there was a lot of people with degrees who applied. So your argument is invalid. Goodnight.
Nah dentistry is the only one /bias.

In all seriousness though, the UK is kinda ****ed atm due to the recession where yeah if you want a great career out of academics, you are very limited (I would add to your list an oxbridge degree (as long as it is in a decent subject), and an LSE degree).

Things will pick up again once the recession ends hopefully, and then other degrees will start to get the jobs they deserve once more.
Like I say, I don't know the field. That said, according to the National Careers Service a languages degree and postgrad in interpreting would usually be required.

Perhaps there's a qualitative difference here between arts and sciences fields. In arts, it is possible to acquire the necessary skills yourself and much of the time it may be possible in theory to get an arts-related job without the formal qualifications. However, if you wanted to make a career out of it, or to progress to any meaningful level in it, I would have thought you would need the qualifications.

To take your example, she may do well if the job is related in some way to her degree. Outside that, although she may not be discounted out of hand, that doesn't mean she'd get the job.

Excellent post to which I couldn't have said it better. STEM is very a much a sit down and learn thing where, without training or teaching, you don't know and will be incapable of doing a certain job but the arts is more learning by discovering and arts degrees are only advantageous but in the real world where competition is high they become compulsory as the advantage they provide is massive. The qualifications also act as a way of demonstrating basic competance so they're usually required.:smile:
Original post by Charlizarddd
Oh really? So tell me that when a French Language degree and a Biological Sciences Degree is held next to each other, which one are you going to think is more intelligent? Because we all know it is not the Language Student. Job Worth means nothing because the majority of the time it depends upon the person themselves, I got a job at a Pharmaceutical company as a Junior researcher without a degree and I bet your ass there was a lot of people with degrees who applied. So your argument is invalid. Goodnight.

Have you been replying to me? If you don't quote people, they don't know you've been writing to them.

To answer your question: the issue isn't about holding up degrees next to each other and asking 'who's more intelligent?' (leaving aside the fact that degrees themselves aren't capable of intelligence...). Chances are if you hold up someone with a psychology degree and someone with a law degree next to one another, most people probably would think the lawyer more intelligent on the face of it. But this is irrelevant, because jobs aren't allocated on the basis of vague guesses as to who is more intelligent.

Also the fact you got a research job at a pharmaceutical company without a degree at all sort of runs counter to your point, doesn't it?

Seems to me it's your argument that's invalid :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
basic competance

lol

I also don't understand how STEM is "sit down and learn" if engineering and the sciences requires a lot of practical work. I literally have no idea what you mean by that, unless you've typed it up wrongly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending