The Student Room Group

apply to oxford during foundation year at another university

Hello, how does this affect the ability to apply to other unis? I am under the impression that you can apply to more than 5 unis, and with submitting the UCAS form early to meet the Oxbridge deadline, doesn't this impact my ability to hear back from other unis and receive other offers? I haven't found anything online that answers these questions.

Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, the application timeline is the same. Why wouldn't it be? They're not going to give special treatment to you because you went a different route. Cambridge offers later application deadlines for some courses at the mature colleges, which require you to be over the age of 21 to apply to. To my knowledge the single mature college at Oxford does not do this.

Normally if you're already studying at another university (e.g. while doing a foundation year - it doesn't matter if the course is based at a local FE college, it's still run by the university) they require your university to support your application explicitly through a reference etc. Information regarding the PAT can be found here and here. There is no preselection for this, so anyone can take it if they register (and, if applicable, pay), and in your case you will most likely need to find an open centre to register to take the test there (on November 2nd).
Original post by WHA.05
Hello, how does this affect the ability to apply to other unis? I am under the impression that you can apply to more than 5 unis, and with submitting the UCAS form early to meet the Oxbridge deadline, doesn't this impact my ability to hear back from other unis and receive other offers? I haven't found anything online that answers these questions.

Hi, please don't bump old threads (this thread is 5 years old!), make a new one instead :smile:

I've asked for this to be moved out to a new thread now though.

You can apply to a maximum of 5 unis through UCAS, only one of Oxford or Cambridge, and only a maximum of 4 medicine/vet med/dentistry courses. The latter two categories require you to apply by the October deadline.

Note that the October deadline courses do not give you a decision in October - you normally don't get interviewed until December or so and receive a decision some time after that (usually January for Oxbridge I gather, and sometimes later for med/dent/vet).

Also you don't have to reply to your decisions until after you receive all your offers, and the deadline to reply to your offers depends on when your last decision was received: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/replying-your-ucas-undergraduate-offers
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Hi, please don't bump old threads (this thread is 5 years old!), make a new one instead :smile:

I've asked for this to be moved out to a new thread now though.

You can apply to a maximum of 5 unis through UCAS, only one of Oxford or Cambridge, and only a maximum of 4 medicine/vet med/dentistry courses. The latter two categories require you to apply by the October deadline.

Note that the October deadline courses do not give you a decision in October - you normally don't get interviewed until December or so and receive a decision some time after that (usually January for Oxbridge I gather, and sometimes later for med/dent/vet).

Also you don't have to reply to your decisions until after you receive all your offers, and the deadline to reply to your offers depends on when your last decision was received: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/replying-your-ucas-undergraduate-offers

Even with a foundation year?
Original post by WHA.05
Even with a foundation year?

Yes, the deadlines are the same as per UCAS if you're on a foundation year, a school leaver, on a gap year, on another degree programme etc.

That said note that Oxford have specific policies about students on other degree programmes and generally it's unlikely you will be able to meet these as a new student at another university. See the section about "transfers and applying while at another UK university" on this page: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications

They also have indicated in the past they would expect strong support from your current institution in such a situation, and since the deadline to apply (and hence get a reference from your current uni) is October 15th, about 2-3 weeks into the new course, it's unlikely you could get such a support in time.

Generally speaking it's strongly advised to never start a degree at a uni if you don't intend to complete the degree there, including courses with foundation years.

Note this is for degrees with a foundation year - the art foundation year courses (FAD courses) are another type of qualification (they are further education qualifications like A-levels) and is recommended but not required for those applying to fine art and none of the above caveats apply to those.
It’s fairly normal for this to be an issue with students enrolled in HE. IE. They may struggle to provide a reference or transcript in time for the relevant deadline.

As above, oxbridge are iffy about transfers in any case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending