The Student Room Group

Vet Med Access or Foundation

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone could advise me - I'm due to start an Access to Science course in September, in order to apply for vet med, which is accepted by Liverpool, HK and RVC.
Liverpool is my top choice and HK second.
I have so far done quite varied work experience and due to do some more.
My GCSE's are all A and A*, including triple science, mathematics and statistics.
Could anyone advise me on if Access would be better or if I should try applying for the Foundation course 2024 for Liverpool vet med?
Starting Access this September means I can apply for uni this year for the 2024 intake, but once I've applied for uni, I can't apply for the Foundation course.
Applying for Foundation means that if I do get accepted, and pass the exams, I am guaranteed to get onto Liverpool vet med, but won't start the uni course until 2025.
I'm really unsure what to do, as I'd love to do Access and apply to go to uni next year, but it's just hoping that I do get accepted for next year's intake. Alternatively, if I don't get accepted for Foundation, I'll have wasted a year and could have started Access this year instead.
I was hoping to do A Levels as other unis I am interested in (Cambridge and Edinburgh) don't accept the Access course, but I can't find anywhere local to me that provides A Levels for 19+ (not sure if anyone knows anywhere Cheshire or Staffordshire that provides A Levels for 19+? Or if online is a better option?)
If anyone could advise that would be great - thank you!
(edited 10 months ago)
@ALEreapp may be able to advise better on access. For foundation courses (as opposed to gateways/Nottingham's prelim) I would just make sure to read fine print - e.g. HK's and some others that offer a 'foundation' while you have the chance theoretically to go onto the vet med course after the first year, you have to be top 10% or something in exams and then still do an interview so nothing is guaranteed at all, and then you risk being stuck on a course you didn't want to do for 3 years. BUT to my (very limited so please do your own research and take this with a pinch of salt as I really don't know 100%) knowledge from speaking to people who did the course, I don't think Liverpool's foundation is like that, and do think you get onto vet med just by passing the exams and aren't then stuck on another course even if you don't, so if you are sure you want Liverpool it's not a bad option - but again just stressing to look into it a lot, maybe email admissions for any clarification etc if you haven't already.
Reply 2
Original post by RambleAmple
@ALEreapp may be able to advise better on access. For foundation courses (as opposed to gateways/Nottingham's prelim) I would just make sure to read fine print - e.g. HK's and some others that offer a 'foundation' while you have the chance theoretically to go onto the vet med course after the first year, you have to be top 10% or something in exams and then still do an interview so nothing is guaranteed at all, and then you risk being stuck on a course you didn't want to do for 3 years. BUT to my (very limited so please do your own research and take this with a pinch of salt as I really don't know 100%) knowledge from speaking to people who did the course, I don't think Liverpool's foundation is like that, and do think you get onto vet med just by passing the exams and aren't then stuck on another course even if you don't, so if you are sure you want Liverpool it's not a bad option - but again just stressing to look into it a lot, maybe email admissions for any clarification etc if you haven't already.

Thank you! Liverpool is my top choice due to being able to easily travel there, and I spoke to their vet med admissions team the other week who said that if accepted onto foundation, and exams are passed, then you automatically go onto the actual uni vet med course.
I would just like to do access so that I can start studying this year and be able to apply for the 2024 intake, just don’t know if it’s a bit riskier!
Reply 3
Liverpool are the strictest in terms of foundation and access so make sure you have everything they’ve said in writing. Do not risk phone calls if all needs to be in email.
This goes for the other unis aswell tbh, I emailed all my unis before applying (Bristol, UCLan, HK and notts) to confirm they would accept my exact access course incase I needed to hold it against them at a later date.

Personally I think access courses are better than foundation years because 1. They are much cheaper and 2. Generally opens more doors.
I’ve faced no issues with doing an access course and applying because I covered myself through emails, I received all my offers (except UCLan as I withdrew before completing my interview) so there’s no stigma through those schools. Access is a great bridge to get back into studying as compared to A levels it is so so much easier and cheaper than studying a levels privately.
I’ve just finished my course and provisionally (it’s going through moderation) have 100% distinction so happy to help if you have any questions re access xx
Reply 4
Original post by ALEreapp
Liverpool are the strictest in terms of foundation and access so make sure you have everything they’ve said in writing. Do not risk phone calls if all needs to be in email.
This goes for the other unis aswell tbh, I emailed all my unis before applying (Bristol, UCLan, HK and notts) to confirm they would accept my exact access course incase I needed to hold it against them at a later date.

Personally I think access courses are better than foundation years because 1. They are much cheaper and 2. Generally opens more doors.
I’ve faced no issues with doing an access course and applying because I covered myself through emails, I received all my offers (except UCLan as I withdrew before completing my interview) so there’s no stigma through those schools. Access is a great bridge to get back into studying as compared to A levels it is so so much easier and cheaper than studying a levels privately.
I’ve just finished my course and provisionally (it’s going through moderation) have 100% distinction so happy to help if you have any questions re access xx

Thanks so much for all your advice!! The access course I’m due to start is a pre-approved one by Liverpool luckily, (travelling an extra 45 mins to get to the college rather than one that’s 15 mins away from me aha) they’ve got it as one of the 4 approved ones on their website and I do luckily have it on email that they accept that specific one! However, I’m going to email the other unis and get the confirmation off them in email as well - thank you!! Harper Keele have told me in person that they accept it, but I’ll get it confirmed over email.

That’s amazing that you received all offers!! Access does feel right for me to be honest as I’m eager to get back to studying rather than waiting longer.
Thank you for offering to answer more questions! The only extra question I have so far is if I’m starting the access course in September and need to send my vet med applications off by mid October - how does it work with inputting predicted grades? Xx
Reply 5
So my access tutor when it came to predicted grades essentially gave everyone what they needed based on the university requirements at a minimum.
That was so he gave us all the best shot at gaining a place, so for me the highest requirement was 45 distinctions (HK interestingly but my offer was 39 as contextual) although my firm and top choice was Bristol and that only needed 30 but he ‘predicted’ me all distinctions to be safe.
Same with my reference, he sat me down and asked me anything specific I wanted in it or the unis wanted in references so he could tailor my application to give me the best chance.
I’m not sure if you are doing a specific vet med access course but mine was a general science one in a big college and so I was the only early applicant (and the college I attended wasn’t exactly used to people applying for those courses) meaning I really had to chase them up. The admissions team at my college held my application for 3 weeks then 3 days before the deadline I asked why it hadn’t been sent on ucas and my tutor informed me they hadn’t checked the course I was applying for and had emailed him confused why my application was submitted so early 🥴
But yeah with access having the aim of getting you into higher education and only really meeting the tutors a few weeks before we need to apply it seems generally they will ‘predict’ what you need so it’s just then down to you to achieve that 😌
Reply 6
Original post by ALEreapp
So my access tutor when it came to predicted grades essentially gave everyone what they needed based on the university requirements at a minimum.
That was so he gave us all the best shot at gaining a place, so for me the highest requirement was 45 distinctions (HK interestingly but my offer was 39 as contextual) although my firm and top choice was Bristol and that only needed 30 but he ‘predicted’ me all distinctions to be safe.
Same with my reference, he sat me down and asked me anything specific I wanted in it or the unis wanted in references so he could tailor my application to give me the best chance.
I’m not sure if you are doing a specific vet med access course but mine was a general science one in a big college and so I was the only early applicant (and the college I attended wasn’t exactly used to people applying for those courses) meaning I really had to chase them up. The admissions team at my college held my application for 3 weeks then 3 days before the deadline I asked why it hadn’t been sent on ucas and my tutor informed me they hadn’t checked the course I was applying for and had emailed him confused why my application was submitted so early 🥴
But yeah with access having the aim of getting you into higher education and only really meeting the tutors a few weeks before we need to apply it seems generally they will ‘predict’ what you need so it’s just then down to you to achieve that 😌

Oh that’s great! Thanks for all that info.
I’m on a general Science access course, which does Biology, Chemistry and Statistics. It’s at a big college but I think that Liverpool uni actually worked a bit with this specific course and conversed with the college to make sure it was suitable to apply for their vet med - they wanted to make sure exams were included and not just coursework and assignments.
I am going to speak with the college as soon as I begin to let them know vet med is my goal (they are already aware but I’ll go into further detail once I start) and all the unis that I am applying to and all of the experience that I have done - they have specifically mentioned on the course info that it’s designed for anyone looking to go into medicine, vet med, dentistry or anything else science related, so I think they might (hopefully) be used to people attending the course that are wanting to do vet med.
I think for all the unis I am applying for, they want 45 distinctions.
Your tutor sounded very helpful though! Hopefully I’ll experience the same
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending